Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

2 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

Maybe it isn't a good run for your back yard but for those who live in that 6" zone they'd be pretty happy with it. CMC is similar so it appears the idea of a weak first wave with ample cold is going to be what we see, the key is just the track and strength of the vort now.

I'll concede to that

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a reminder... we had similar evolution with the last winter storm... some models had too warm/north solutions... then they all settled on weaker/ too far south/ no precip solutions... then we watched the modeled precip shield tick back north and west as we approached the event... to the point of having the mountains go from nothing to a foot+ slam job. 

I really, really like where we are sitting at this point. Couldn't ask for a better 144hr prog across the globals, IMO.

21 minutes ago, CummingGaSnow said:

That is good for us in North GA right? Also, I don't know if you read FFC's morning discussion but they're already talking of a possible strong wedge with winter mischief. This far out with a high in the mid 40s spells big trouble.

The ECMWF is building quite a strong wedge in place for Thursday
night into Friday. The GFS also has a pretty decent wedge in place,
but is a little slower with the coastal low development. The cold
air wedge could potentially cause a wintry mix across far northern
GA. It is still seven days out and the forecast will likely change,
so all interested parties should continue to monitor the forecast.

I have a question though, why do they say only far northern GA could get winter precip when we know the wedge sends the coldest temps into the LOWER elevations of east GA. Is it just their conservatism saying that?

Could mean from a snow or cold rain. Or a ice to cold rain. 

2 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

I'll concede to that

This also isn't far from being a MUCH bigger storm across the region. Amplify the western ridge a bit more and dig the energy some into Texas and the snow maps will look much nicer. I'd rather have a weak vort like this versus a bomb that drives in WAA like crazy and we have to hope for CAD to give wintry weather.

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

We're potentially heading into potentially one of the best patterns that we've potentially seen in at least a couple of years, which holds a lot of potential for a winter event, via a potentially cold and potentially active period.

I’d go as far to say best pattern since 2010. 

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

We're potentially heading into potentially one of the best patterns that we've potentially seen in at least a couple of years, which holds a lot of potential for a winter event, via a potentially cold and potentially active period.

Keeping thoughts of the RDU bubble/snow shield as suppressed as possible.

33 minutes ago, CummingGaSnow said:

That is good for us in North GA right? Also, I don't know if you read FFC's morning discussion but they're already talking of a possible strong wedge with winter mischief. This far out with a high in the mid 40s spells big trouble.

The ECMWF is building quite a strong wedge in place for Thursday
night into Friday. The GFS also has a pretty decent wedge in place,
but is a little slower with the coastal low development. The cold
air wedge could potentially cause a wintry mix across far northern
GA. It is still seven days out and the forecast will likely change,
so all interested parties should continue to monitor the forecast.

I have a question though, why do they say only far northern GA could get winter precip when we know the wedge sends the coldest temps into the LOWER elevations of east GA. Is it just their conservatism saying that?

Yes, I think they're just being conservative. Also, keep in mind that mountains produce lift. More chance at something falling there than outside of the mountains. But, as they state, they said, "the forecast will likely change." 

33 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

The GFS is so useless. 

27 minutes ago, Lookout said:

it sure is. I was concerned that this system would be much flatter/drier based on the other models and it seems the gfs finally caught a clue there but good grief the differences at the surface and aloft from one run to the next are just past the point of comical. Just compare the 500mb maps between this run and the last one/several. it's incredible. I think you could be blind folded and throw darts and be just about as accurate as the gfs at this range. 

Ha, the thing to me is not so much how good or bad the GFS is, as it is the excessive attention it gets that it doesn't deserve.

A challenge here could be keeping the waves far enough south.  Not much wiggle room 

I'm getting sucked in...damn it. Canadian sticks to the two piece suppressed system solution from last night. GFS tries to do something similar. Looks great for MBY, plus no one gets a crippling ice storm! Too bad those are OP runs at range.

The New Years system is so suppressed it moves over south FL. Exactly where we want it 10 days out. 

Archived