Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

The more amped this is the more rain it will bring, correct? Looks like mostly rain for everyone outside of the mountains and piedmont.

What you talkin bout Willis? Going to be a crippling ice storm for Piedmont NC and upstate SC, as modeled. Probably North Georgia down to Atlanta, if the CAD is that strong.

1 minute ago, mackerel_sky said:

Trolls already at 5-6 days out! Lol

You know something big is afoot

I am not a troll. I want it to snow lol. I am just saying that GFS run is not snow, and looks to change to rain for almost everyone in the SE outside of the mountains and piedmont. The colors on models are at least showing this.

1 minute ago, Tar Heel Snow said:

What causes this to be Ice (as of now)? Is there something in the mid level atmosphere that’s warmer? Or something else?

The high over SE Canada is pumping in low level cold. So you have sub freezing temps near the ground and warm temps above as the LP pushes up

What causes this to be Ice (as of now)? Is there something in the mid level atmosphere that’s warmer? Or something else?

Yes upper levels are warm over the low level cold! Depending on thickness of warm layer, decides weather it's sleet vs freezing rain! Thicker warm layer = freezing rain. Shallower= sleet

The GFS is a hybrid miller B storm. It transfers the primary low to the coast, which allows warming aloft. The low level cold air stays put while this happens, making a recipe for a nasty ice storm.

Just now, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

I am not a troll. I want it to snow lol. I am just saying that GFS run is not snow, and looks to change to rain for almost everyone in the SE outside of the mountains and piedmont. The colors on models are at least showing this.

CAD regions would not flip in this scenario as models always erode the wedge to quickly. This would be a major ice storm for Central and Western NC

Archived