Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

The cold on the 12Z GFS is a lot less impressive.  I guess that is due to a weaker high out west.  

What time does the 12Z ECMWF and EPS come out?

Not just that the high is weaker but literally pushes the -EPO back towards Siberia vs the 0z run which saw it ridging over Canada basically forcing the PV into the US.  

Why the GFS is even run past a few days is beyond me anymore.  However, the ensembles completey disagree with the OP

I've got a question.  Even the good and cold runs of the GFS show some ridging in the southeast and south gulf states.  Usually we want a trough on top of us for cold and not ridging.  Is this messing us up at 5h? 

The GEFS at 240 looks plenty cold.  But I still notice the light ridging there.  If we do end up getting a storm in this time frame, won't it cut due to the ridging? I know there's been some speculation about how the week after Christmas has alot of potential but the ridging consistently showing in that time frame has me confused. 

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_41.png

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah right at Christmas when we get that massive cold front, it pretty much stays cold for the whole country. 

Im with Stormsfurry. Id rather have the old gfs back. This upgraded one is God-awful. We knew with the old one what to expect,weakness etc. But the new one we currently have forecast Highs in the 115 range in summer, goes from one end of the universe to the other every other run. 

2 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

I've got a question.  Even the good and cold runs of the GFS show some ridging in the southeast and south gulf states.  Usually we want a trough on top of us for cold and not ridging.  Is this messing us up at 5h? 

The GEFS at 240 looks plenty cold.  But I still notice the light ridging there.  If we do end up getting a storm in this time frame, won't it cut due to the ridging? I know there's been some speculation about how the week after Christmas has alot of potential but the ridging consistently showing in that time frame has me confused. 

That would prevent uber suppression, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Its all about where it puts the pac ridge in the pac NW. The op moves it around a few hundred miles from run to run and it screws everything else up.

15 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Each time we've seen the GFS go one way, it has gone back the other way soon after.  I think it will go stronger with the high and colder, but not as much as the 0Z.  I think it is starting to even out.

Yep..not sure why anyone would get discouraged based one one or even a few gfs runs because of the comical run to run changes beyond a few days. 

26 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

That would prevent uber suppression, IMO. 

Good point, didn't think of that.  Could probably create more NW flow for more moisture too.  I guess we need to ride the line between suppression and inland runner, assuming we do get a storm.  I just don't remember ever seeing a decent threat time frame with ridging in the SE. 

25 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Its all about where it puts the pac ridge in the pac NW. The op moves it around a few hundred miles from run to run and it screws everything else up.

Yeah, different EPO ridge different outcomes downstream for sure.  That ridging though has always been there on the GFS the last several runs I've followed, even the 0Z with the overrunning storm brewing along the gulf states. 

1 minute ago, griteater said:

Euro has a big, prolonged overrunning system in the SW...wintry precip in Kansas/Missouri/OK/N AR day 8-10....overall, cold air was a little better this run, but not optimal

if the Euro is dragging its feet in the southwest, that's a legit mid-south/Carolina winter storm.  I was liking the progression of that run (through 192) until it broke off the energy and went to southern California to camp out.  Since the formerly reliable Euro can't even get a 4-5 day forecast right anymore, I'm guessing we haven't seen anything remotely close to reality yet.

1 hour ago, SnowNiner said:

Regarding ridging in the SE and temps still cold enough for wintry precip, you're looking at a Miller B overrunning type setup where you have just enough shallow cold air for a wintry mix...but yeah, I agree with your premise here, I'd never want to see above normal heights in the SE.  Suppression would be a low concern.  Having enough cold air would be a high concern.

Archived