Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I'm still onboard with the period from Christmas through the first few days of Jan.  We'll get something during that time.  Other than that, the pattern sucks!  Bet this GFS run reverses last night's 0z and goes warm again. :)

Cold air moving much faster this run

Just now, Snovary said:

Im looking more at the timing of the cold, just coming in earlier. Id say theres a chance of seeing a flake for some,

I mean, miracles happen every day. I can count on one hand the times that a scenario like this has worked out if you live in the shadow of the mountains down to the piedmont. 

7 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

There is absolutely no way anyone outside of the mountains sees a flake in that setup, unless the front somehow speeds up by a day and the precip slows down by a day and that aint happening. It's cold chasing precip thats going to dry out anyway from downsloping.

Have to agree with you on this one. Backside flurries just prior to ending at best for most of us. This is not the type of set-up that brings accumulating snow to the foothills or Piedmont. 

2 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Where's Pack and CR to tell us the upcoming pattern sucks and nobody south of DC is gonna see snow through mid January 

MJO is heading to Ph2 in early Jan.  PH3-5 is like the snooze button on your alarm COC.  Maybe it dives into COD because otherwise Mid-Jan would be a good time to get the gardening tools ready.  Nina’s in Feb...:maphot:

But, we have a window to get a few sleet pellets before then.   

11 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I mean, miracles happen every day. I can count on one hand the times that a scenario like this has worked out if you live in the shadow of the mountains down to the piedmont. 

Not saying any accumulations or even a dusting, but seeing A flake or two, in the normal roxboro nc type areas has a shot

7 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Not saying any accumulations or even a dusting, but seeing A flake or two, wouldnt, the normal roxboro nc area has a shot

4 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Even we couldn’t screw this one up...weak wave underneath a big artic high.  Or can we...

gfs_mslpa_us_32.png

Keep seeing this more and more 0n 500mb maps every model cycle. Same set up. You cant ask for anything more than this to have a bonified shot at SECHS. But if there is a way,Im sure we will discover it over the next 7 days lol.

Yeah the snow on the backside almost never happens like that. The whole cold rushing in will not happen as I see it. The cold has to make it over 6000 feet mountain peaks and that will not be fast enough in my opinion to give anyone snow outside the mountains. One run though. At least we are trening colder but never underestimate the mountains blocking the cold from moving in quickly. 

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah the snow on the backside almost never happens like that. The whole cold rushing in will not happen as I see it. The cold has to make it over 6000 feet mountain peaks and that will not be fast enough in my opinion to give anyone snow outside the mountains. One run though. At least we are trening colder but never underestimate the mountains blocking the cold from moving in quickly. 

The only time I feel semi-confident with a scenario like that is with a significant arctic airmass in place with an even stronger one incoming.

Archived