Newest Member
    Toothache
Thursday Thumper or Thirst-Quencher

moneypitmike

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

You really need to get less emotionally invested in this stuff.  You have def taken steps forward as far as model analysis...but getting worked up one way or the other over 3" or 9" of snow ain't worth it . 

For me personally that isn't possible . I'm not wired that way. It's easy to tell someone that when you're in the 6-12" zone. More rain NYE and another warm cutter next week doesn't help either. It is what is . As Scooter has said .. it's not a SNE winter . Good luck up there tomorrow. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd prob slap a warning for N ORH county, Franklin, and Hampshire counties. I feel pretty good about 6"+ for those areas. I'd prob downgrade S ORH county, Hampden, and N Middlesex county to advisories for 2-4" and no headlines south or east of those.

this is perfect from my present opinion... 

namely because the warning cookie cuts around this a-hole that lives in ayer that love a good winter storm

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

For me personally that isn't possible . I'm not wired that way. It's easy to tell someone that when you're in the 6-12" zone. More rain NYE and another warm cutter next week doesn't help either. It is what is . As Scooter has said .. it's not a SNE winter . Good luck up there tomorrow. 

Meh. I've had my share of busted forecasts as well. This is one that looks like it had trended down here quite a bit.  Right now I have a "pack" of 0-2" of Swiss cheese and mud.  It's been a good month though.   Long way to go until mid April

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

this is perfect from my present opinion... 

namely because the warning cookie cuts around this a-hole that lives in ayer that love a good winter storm

I was hoping for a more dynamic storm than it looks like we will get here. TSSN and wind  whipped snow are better than a sloppy few inches

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

i'll give you one thing, kevin - a huge high five for honestly. 

frankly, over the years of dealing with social media open to the public, the biggest contributor to 'flame wars' and 'face-book fights' and 'twee tantrums' ...all of it, is that people fail miserable to dance around the truth, and the spin and lies piss people off; particularly when the person doing it comes off as hiding huge hypocrisy. 

at least you admit it, so ... it's really kind of refreshing and guess what?  the upshot is that no one can argue with the truth ;)  

so you got pissed off when the sentiment of a bigger deal 'feels' like it was unjustly taken away?  I say, understood ma-man.  understood.  Just so long as you know that it is just  feeling, and don't let it affect your longer term happiness - because if it affects you that deeply, it that means it is invading and effecting your life.  and for all the usual and obvious psycho-babble reasons, that's when it becomes bad -

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I keep repeating myself. I feel your pain, and we're in similar situation with this storm and many others, but that's why I built a cabin 100 miles north. You could probably find a cheap condo for $75k. Crap, even a shack will do. All you need is a wood stove and a window to sit by.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

When did he say that?  Link?

Just now, weathafella said:

Yes he said that but that doesn't mean "not a SNE winter". 

Normal is big snow in NNE which has been lacking the past few years.

Well I don't take NNE winter as positive in SNE. But I guess it's open to interpretation. 

I do think we can both agree a big winter in SNE is not in the cards 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well I don't take NNE winter as positive in SNE. But I guess it's open to interpretation. 

I don't agree with that premise at this point but I'll reassess in 2-3 weeks.

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Kev, I say as long as we hit climo, perhaps at least one big event in there...I'll take nickle and dimes to get me to my avg., I am a little bummed myself, so I feel your pain, although I spit out a 4" number a few days ago, and never backed off, even when the models went nuts a couple runs...then again, who knows, we could get a little earlier development and grab at least a 6"er?

1 minute ago, PWMan said:

Hard to complain too much considering that we've already had more snow and threats than last year at this time, but so far the coast even up here has gotten snubbed for the most part. This has the look of another slop-fest here. Glad I'll be at Shawnee on Friday!

Couldn't agree more.  We're forecast for a 32* low tomorrow.  If it actually snows and doesn't rain, it's just a glorified mess.  If it actually snows, I'm wrapping it up and sending it to that guy down in Tolland.

1 minute ago, tavwtby said:

Kev, I say as long as we hit climo, perhaps at least one big event in there...I'll take nickle and dimes to get me to my avg., I am a little bummed myself, so I feel your pain, although I spit out a 4" number a few days ago, and never backed off, even when the models went nuts a couple runs...then again, who knows, we could get a little earlier development and grab at least a 6"er?

Your're in a much better spot than this area of the state is. NW CT only place that sees snow tomorrow.. The east tics matter for you but east of you our gooses are cooked. I'm looking forward for the next one sometime after Jan 5

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I was hoping for a more dynamic storm than it looks like we will get here. TSSN and wind  whipped snow are better than a sloppy few inches

Mmm.  Mixed emotions there  .. like, sending Donald Trump over a cliff in my new car -

Heh, seriously though... I can't really lose power?  My house is all electrically stimulated to put it rudely.  Thunder snow at 31.8 F with winds gusting to 45 mph is really dicey as a home owner that is wholly dependent upon electricity's not failing in order to sustain a livable residence to put it nicely.  

In fact, it's not a big leap for me to honestly say that my entire outlook on big dystopian natural events has in general sobered up in recent years. Perhaps it is the rigors of age, maturity and responsibilities to life - who knows. But, I just don't disconnect from the pragmatics of it all like I used to ... Even as little as 10 years ago (which is a huge number in the brain pans of the average user - I know - but not at my age. Dec 2005 was 10 min ago!) I was gunger-ho than Gunga Din.

Now, when, and it seems more likely bigger deals don't pan out, that over-arcing sense of responsibility is a nice fall -back indifference. 

My thing these days is snow depth... it's a fetish.  I like to see 'how deep' the snow pack gets in the ambient, between storms depth. Like, some abuse of settling, and/or the sun try to usurp it, is it still blue in the cleaves.  My personal (as in, my tangible space) record is 40" on the level, set just recently in Feb 2015.  Before that, I had seen 35" inches twice...before that, 28 or 29 several times...on down to foot frequently. I'm not willing just yet to believe 40 is a ceiling.  It's just  matter of time, unless GW somehow wins that race ... before a 1969 deal happens 200 miles S along the coast with actual cold air before getting lucky two more times. 

I can imagine scenarios that are say 1::2000 year set ups... 

Now...that may sound like a double standard, but it's not really. In 1995-1996 ...we really never got more than 12" in a single dose in Acton that year, and that was one of the two 35" on the levels.  You don't have to cripple society to get there.  

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Your're in a much better spot than this area of the state is. NW CT only place that sees snow tomorrow.. The east tics matter for you but east of you our gooses are cooked. I'm looking forward for the next one sometime after Jan 5

That clipper this weekend is starting to look a bit more interesting..nothing major, but doesn't look like flurries any longer...on a sad note, my birthday storm Tuesday, went from a few inches, to a washout in a couple runs, so that's a bummer..

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Destroyed on that NAM run.  Better than 12z was.

BTV is really going balls in which I still would be skeptical.  8-16" widespread with isolated 20" near the NH border.

I got that on my phone and was going to paste it here but couldn't find it on their page.  They do seem a bit bullish.

Archived