• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Thursday Thumper or Thirst-Quencher

moneypitmike

The problem is taking any solution as gospel especially snow maps which are really kind of an afterthought in the guidance it seems.

Nam suddenly becomes viable at longer range because it sniffed out the meso low on 12/17 correctly.   Look at the record globally and as Scooter says we print it out and wipe with it.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The problem is taking any solution as gospel especially snow maps which are really kind of an afterthought in the guidance it seems.

Nam suddenly becomes viable at longer range because it sniffed out the meso low on 12/17 correctly.   Look at the record globally and as Scooter says we print it out and wipe with it.

Which i a agree is true, But the RGEM has also not been good on some of these and corrected last minute just recently as well, So we may go another cycle or two then nowcast it

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

This is a good setup for the mesos though...kind of like the meso-low was on 12/17. So the NAM idea of explosive bombo-genesis was fine. Euro even latched on to the crazy fast strengthening within the past few runs.

Obviously you have to take the location with a grain of salt though at 60-72 hours out...but in the NAM's case, it was actually agreeing with the Euro pretty well...maybe a bit more bullish close to BOS, but it wasn't far off. The entire suite of guidance has trended north and later with development since yesterday's 12z apex of results for SNE after trending south/earlier for literally 2-3 straight days.

I mean watch the mid level low centers. Euro doesn't close off H7 until it's over ME, and H8 until ORH. So areas N and NE of the H8 low and especially at and N of the H7 low are in for at least a thumping I would think. 

But even that Euro track is probably an ugly dry slot for SE NH and coastal ME.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is a good setup for the mesos though...kind of like the meso-low was on 12/17. So the NAM idea of explosive bombo-genesis was fine. Euro even latched on to the crazy fast strengthening within the past few runs.

Obviously you have to take the location with a grain of salt though at 60-72 hours out...but in the NAM's case, it was actually agreeing with the Euro pretty well...maybe a bit more bullish close to BOS, but it wasn't far off. The entire suite of guidance has trended north and later with development since yesterday's 12z apex of results for SNE after trending south/earlier for literally 2-3 straight days.

I find it intriguing that's about the same timeframe these s/w's come onshore out west and are fully sampled into the models.  

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This threat has always sucked for most of sne.

It's been relatively easy for BOS and SE...but I did think you had a sneaky chance yesterday given the model solutions. Also, I thought ORH and points west esp were in the zone. However, we also said it was tricky so nobody could really commit one way or the other. You still got 18z and 00z to really help with confidence in those tricky zones like ORH-MHT etc. Any little bump east or west matters exponentially.

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd like to see earlier development more than anything...the Euro was only just a smidge colder than 00z in the mid-levels despite the track...it is the explosive development that we want to start sooner more than anything else....obviously a further east track helps some, but not as much as earlier bombogenesis.

None of the models are as explosive as before. We're basically dealing w a 990 low somewhere east of BOS, not the 960s/970s monster models had a couple days ago. The problem w this system is the further east solutions are weaker and kill the BL while stronger western solutions kill the mid levels.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It's been relatively easy for BOS and SE...but I did think you had a sneaky chance yesterday given the model solutions. Also, I thought ORH and points west esp were in the zone. However, we also said it was tricky so nobody could really commit one way or the other. You still got 18z and 00z to really help with confidence in those tricky zones like ORH-MHT etc. Any little bump east or west matters exponentially.

We were out 2+ days ago.

3 minutes ago, nzucker said:

None of the models are as explosive as before. We're basically dealing w a 990 low somewhere east of BOS, not the 960s/970s monster models had a couple days ago. The problem w this system is the further east solutions are weaker and kill the BL while stronger western solutions kill the mid levels.

You sound like Goldilocks.  But this solution is just right....

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Very bummed out. Not afraid to admit that. I'm disappointed and frustrated. Was looking forward to taking the kids sledding tomorrow. 

never know Kevin... a little more eastward and a little more development and surprise, surprise, surprise! Here's hoping

23 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yes, I'm a Moderator but I'm also brutally honest.  This threat went in the trash around 18z yesterday when we started losing the early development.  Sounds like you were latching onto the NAM without looking at other guidance.  I watched the 00z runs last night and was even more confident of a washout.  Today's 12z runs confirmed that.

I like the brutally honest tact ...okay -

But, "confirmed that" ?  ...confirms what - nothing's happened.  

Let's not take trophies folks until the race is actually run

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I'm def interested to see how BOX does things with warnings and snowfall maps in a little while

I'd prob slap a warning for N ORH county, Franklin, and Hampshire counties. I feel pretty good about 6"+ for those areas. I'd prob downgrade S ORH county, Hampden, and N Middlesex county to advisories for 2-4" and no headlines south or east of those.

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I think they can thump early, but it will change over there. So I wouldn't bank more than a couple.

Thanks.  Hopefully the few inches on the ground won't get all washed away.  It's not the year for pack retention that's for sure.  Especially looking at early January.

Archived