Newest Member
    Toothache
Thursday Thumper or Thirst-Quencher

moneypitmike

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

He's gonna get smoked. Long time coming there. 

Prob the best storm for that corridor since Mar 2014....though the southern part of that corridor had some taint in that storm...so it might be the best since even earlier in that winter...maybe Feb 13-14, 2014? Not sure they had a good blockbuster in 2015...you had to go east to Maine to get the goods that winter at that latitude.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Prob the best storm for that corridor since Mar 2014....though the southern part of that corridor had some taint in that storm...so it might be the best since even earlier in that winter...maybe Feb 13-14, 2014? Not sure they had a good blockbuster in 2015...you had to go east to Maine to get the goods that winter at that latitude.

Yeah that was the storm where Brian was getting 3"/hr. I forgot about the March storm. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah that was the storm where Brian was getting 3"/hr. I forgot about the March storm. 

The March 2014 storm was like that Killington to Conway to SR corridor...then SR got destroyed again like a week later on a "surprise" system with marginal temps.

Anyways, those areas have been due for some big synoptic hits, so it's not a surprise if they string a few together.

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah probably Valentines Day 2014...that one ripped 18" in eastern VT too but I think was pretty meh here comparatively (maybe 8-10"?)....we did real well in the March storm that year with like 15" on 1.5" of QPF.  That storm had poor snow growth but was ripping 0.1"+ liquid in the bucket for like 8 hours straight.

None of us northwest of Dendrite had anything big synoptically in 14-15 and again in 15-16 obviously.  

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

When I look at the soundings, you can easily see how big lift could make it a paste bomb...some of those frames where the 850 0C line is trying to intrude past ORH-ASH, the skew-T shows like basically isothermal with maybe +1 at 900-925mb. There's no obvious smoking gun warm layer of like 3-4C or something that makes it an easy call for rain.

So yeah, it's going to be a brutal forecast for that ORH-ASH-MHT zone. You could easily see 1-2 inches of slush getting washed away if things break wrong but could also see double digits if things break right. The hard part, is I'm not sure how much of a intermediate zone there is going to be...like it's easy to say "we'll lets just forecast 4-6" as a safe play"....that might be the most unlikely amount. If it snows enough to reach 5 or 6", it's probably going to blow past that amount in a blue bomb scenario. Maybe a really narrow zone goes to town, then mixes/flips, and then ends as a quick burst to get that 5" amount...but I feel like it's either going to be 8"+ or 2" or less. Maybe that will change or become a bit clearer in the final cycle or two here, but man, not easy.

Exactly my thoughts. You'll probably go from meh to absolutely paste job in a few miles. Given the strength of the low, the coastal front should be tight.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Awesome...and a good watch.  Someone will get killed if MWN gets 20-30" with high winds laying on the ice-slick snowpack up there.  Should see some huge avalanches in the ravines.

The only time I've seen an Avalanche Warning issued here was after Valentines Day 2007 when like 3-4 feet fell in 24 hours.  BTV issued an Avalanche Warning at the request of Stowe Mountain Rescue and Emergency Management.

We just started issuing them on behalf of the Mount Washington Avalanche Center. They really just tell us the info that goes into it and we treat it like an air quality forecast. But still cool that we're doing it.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The March 2014 storm was like that Killington to Conway to SR corridor...then SR got destroyed again like a week later on a "surprise" system with marginal temps.

This was the liquid equiv in the March 2014 storm... certainly my last largest QPF event as all snow.  This area upsloped nicely on the moist SE flow with a bunch of 1.40-1.60" type equivalents from here (Stowe Village is the 1.54")  to Waterbury and down near Sugarbush.

Not expecting anything like that this time here but those total are definitely possible further east.

13MAR14B.jpg

Looking through the EURO ensemble members from 12z....there's an almost scary amount (for a forecaster) of variability.  Like three camps for here...one camp shows like 12-24", while the mean and middle of the road is more like 7-12", and then there's a camp of 3-6" which has just as many as the 12-24" camp. 

Crazy as the forecast could realistically be like 3-18". 

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This was the liquid equiv in the March 2014 storm... certainly my last largest QPF event as all snow.  This area upsloped nicely on the moist SE flow with a bunch of 1.40-1.60" type equivalents from here (Stowe Village is the 1.54")  to Waterbury and down near Sugarbush.

Not expecting anything like that this time here but those total are definitely possible further east.

13MAR14B.jpg

I remember that. Okemo did real well...I think you and I talked about how they do well in synoptic events. 

It ain't Jackson, but I'd love to see my p/c play out:

Thursday
Snow, mainly after 10am. High near 31. Southeast wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow likely, mainly before 8pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. West wind 6 to 11 mph increasing to 13 to 18 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

I guess that p/c encompasses their "greatest potential' map:

SnowAmt90Prcntl.png

Just now, moneypitmike said:

She's a beaut, Clark.  It's a 'non-coastal New England" winter.

MPM, its December man, haha. Every post seems to say its an "interior winter" or a "NNE winter" or a "non-coastal New England" winter.  Its December.  Lets keep the blanket statements at this juncture to a minimum.  Its one storm.  In December. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

MPM, its December man, haha. Every post seems to say its an "interior winter" or a "NNE winter" or a "non-coastal New England" winter.  Its December.  Lets keep the blanket statements at this juncture to a minimum.  Its one storm.  In December. 

Remember when it wasn't supposed to snow in SNE until after Christmas? Partially whiff on one event in the week after and it's doom and gloom.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Methinks you missed the snark in my snarky post.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Told you the pig pile will occur. 

Archived