Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday Thumper or Thirst-Quencher

moneypitmike

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sometimes I like to view it by the QPF that falls as rather than snow accumulations themselves....and it shows the gradient...an inch or more of QPF as snow near ORH goes to almost nothing in less than 20 miles...the gradient is even tighter in SE NH. I suspect the gradient will be at least this tight in reality...the question is where does it set up:

Something to be wary of with the clown maps is how they determine snow. It could pound at 34, but if the algorithm says no snow over 32, the clown map and reality could be pretty far off.

But I'm in total agreement on the gradient. We could literally go from no deadline to warning in a few miles.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

couldnt find soundings on there but i like there model page. ran sfc to 700 temp loops and its really close west of rte 8, not up in litchfield obv they look to grab a 4/5" spot imo. the 925 temps here crash but it may be too late. Im sure if i take a 15min ride up rte 7 to new milford i could see it rip big chutes between 21-24hr, 

http://climate.cod.edu/hanis/model/fsound/index.php?model=NAM&runtime=00&hour=24&coords=41.37%2C-73.48&id=&parcel=ml&weather=severe&submit=Generate+New+Sounding&sector=US&level=700&product=spd

Yeah go for it, they definitely should see something good. I would take a trip to Norfolk if I had the time.

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Something to be wary of with the clown maps is how they determine snow. It could pound at 34, but if the algorithm says no snow over 32, the clown map and reality could be pretty far off.

But I'm in total agreement on the gradient. We could literally go from no deadline to warning in a few miles.

Yep and why Kevin might do a lot better shown. Those soundings with 1500 ft of 33 34 with huge VVS are the surprise spots. 

Just now, H2Otown_WX said:

I like Pivotal Weather just click on a model map for a sounding

13 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Oh yeah. You know my feelings on clown maps in general. The RGEM one though does allow snow over 32 at the surface just for the record. 

What an awful forecast for MHT-ASH-ORH. That's some decent population where monster bust potential is quite high. 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yep and why Kevin might do a lot better shown. Those soundings with 1500 ft of 33 34 with huge VVS are the surprise spots. 

I mean there is a reason we call them clown maps. A shallow layer of warmth at the surface will easily be overcome in strong lift. It really isn't a super warm system in the mid levels, especially as that H5 low dives in. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Oh yeah. You know my feelings on clown maps in general. The RGEM one though does allow snow over 32 at the surface just for the record. 

What an awful forecast for MHT-ASH-ORH. That's some decent population where monster bust potential is quite high. 

Yeah it's important to know how the sausage is made, even if it isn't pretty.

The forecast in that corridor is truly like an all or nothing. Either a run of the mill storm or potentially crippling with heavy, wet paste. If you told me MHT got 3" or 13" I wouldn't be surprised.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean there is a reason we call them clown maps. A shallow layer of warmth at the surface will easily be overcome in strong lift. It really isn't a super warm system in the mid levels, especially as that H5 low dives in. 

That's what's been interesting with this system, only a minority of outliers have suggested any type of mid-level torch, otherwise fate is mostly decided by how rapid the deepening cyclogenesis is in flipping boundary areas from RA to SN+ 

There are going to be some surprises for the uninformed. 

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That's what's been interesting with this system, only a minority of outliers have suggested any type of mid-level torch, otherwise fate is mostly decided by how rapid the deepening cyclogenesis is in flipping boundary areas from RA to SN+ 

There are going to be some surprises for the uninformed. 

And it makes the forecast much tougher. It's what models do the worst. 

So oddly a mid level torch might be a more confident forecast at this point. 

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

And it makes the forecast much tougher. It's what models do the worst. 

So oddly a mid level torch might be a more confident forecast at this point. 

It's what I'm used to resigning my fate to when consistently shown by models.  Lack of ml torch has been what's kept me confident of warning snows here since tuesday.

35 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Don't envy any NE mets tonight.

I would still go pretty conservative for places like ORH...There are a lot of red flags...antecedent airmass, possible late development, dryslots if it comes west. I think I'd go 2-4" in ORH and 6-8" in MHT. Looks like a good NH storm from the mid level track.

11 minutes ago, nzucker said:

I would still go pretty conservative for places like ORH...There are a lot of red flags...antecedent airmass, possible late development, dryslots if it comes west. I think I'd go 2-4" in ORH and 6-8" in MHT. Looks like a good NH storm from the mid level track.

With Euro staying the course tonight I'm confident with ORH to hang in the 6+ camp.  Book it.  

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

With Euro staying the course tonight I'm confident with ORH to hang in the 6+ camp.  Book it.  

I'm def not that confident, lol...but the biggest question for me is the marginal warm punch and if it is overcome by UVVs. I still don't like how the Euro is kind of weak until late in the game...I would like to see an earlier strengthening like the RGEM/NAM....but I guess we will just be relegated to nowcasting this sucker....oh well.

Archived