Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Thursday Thumper or Thirst-Quencher

moneypitmike

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Based on the mid levels, that's the zone. Unless the Euro mid levels is more correct, in which case that probably would be shifted east.

You'll have some low level forcing east of that area, but I wouldn't want to put all my eggs in that basket.

Time for a winter trip to Pittsburg. Mid level track is great for them and it looks pretty favorable for a period of pretty good upslope Friday morning

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I'm always jelly of your wind during storms at your home locations.  I see plenty of wind at the office and on the hill with the snow...but very little down in the village.

I find it interesting that so many folks are enamored with the wind – there’s almost nothing positive that comes of it – it just messes with the snow deposition, makes snow measurement more difficult, obliterates dendrites and increases snow density, scours areas free of snow, causes wind crust to further ruin snow consistency, makes it feel colder, causes power outages, etc.  I think we’re pretty fortunate that we have so many forested and otherwise protected areas at various elevations around here to mitigate a lot of the wind effects.  We’re also lucky in places like the Northern Greens that we don’t always have to have a massive storm to get dumped on.  As adk/PF have mentioned to varying degrees, and I agree, the best skiing often isn’t from these big, wound up storms like the one in the forecast.  They can be great base builders, and can offer up some great skiing, but sometimes they can come with an unnecessary amount of wind.

46 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I find it interesting that so many folks are enamored with the wind – there’s almost nothing positive that comes of it – it just messes with the snow deposition, makes snow measurement more difficult, obliterates dendrites and increases snow density, scours areas free of snow, causes wind crust to further ruin snow consistency, makes it feel colder, causes power outages, etc.  I think we’re pretty fortunate that we have so many forested and otherwise protected areas at various elevations around here to mitigate a lot of the wind effects.  We’re also lucky in places like the Northern Greens that we don’t always have to have a massive storm to get dumped on.  As adk/PF have mentioned to varying degrees, and I agree, the best skiing often isn’t from these big, wound up storms like the one in the forecast.  They can be great base builders, and can offer up some great skiing, but sometimes they can come with an unnecessary amount of wind.

One perspective, sometimes fighting the wind up high to get to the top, and  then finding the hidden spots, un-slabbed and tranquil, can be pretty fun. Fight the elements at the peaks, and get down off the ridgelines into the fun zone.

But yes, one very significant challenge with synoptic events is wind- it really makes for variable conditions if you're a mountain rider type, the winds (typical with larger synoptic events) generally wreak havoc. A 6 day constant flow of upsloping pinwheel/shortwaves/clippers with a big low stalled over the maritimes bringing constant refresh and 40-50"? Definitely the best for skiing, but right now I'd like to see some base get laid down and find the spots that are sheltered- if we can.  

The Valentines Day storm was a classic huge dump (40" in the mountains?), but not really amazing skiing- unless you were in really tight trees where it was sheltered. But then you're just falling into drifted tree wells!  The 40" upslope several years ago- waaaaay better.

When was the last time we had a stalled out low over the maritimes, anyway? The pinwheel- those are the best...

Archived