Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Thursday Thumper or Thirst-Quencher

moneypitmike

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

The killer is that it seems later to the party as Will said. Without the explosive deepening and rapid development of the CCB, it's tough to get snow. Also, don't fall in love with one closed isobar. There is still an appendage of low pressure into SNE. It could be that the convection the euro models decides to lower pressure slightly, so it throws a closed isobar there, giving the impression of a low center. This is not a concentric low pressure center. It does not change that below 925mb is warm and despite the eastward apparent look...the mid levels aren't responding to that until it gets ENE of Portland Maine. So as others have said...a little buyer beware of this run.

I noticed that.  The EURO had been really consistent and then actually goes pretty far SE with the actual low pressure... but there is a closed isobar over SE New England.  I was curious what caused that.  Its actually a little more on the eastern end of guidance now I think with that hook around the Cape type track.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 512high said:

All in favor of a tick east, however, is it possible that the euro is a "lone wolf" now?, if you say NAM, etc. start ticking east then its a game changer?

I'd like to see earlier development more than anything...the Euro was only just a smidge colder than 00z in the mid-levels despite the track...it is the explosive development that we want to start sooner more than anything else....obviously a further east track helps some, but not as much as earlier bombogenesis.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd like to see earlier development more than anything...the Euro was only just a smidge colder than 00z in the mid-levels despite the track...it is the explosive development that we want to start sooner more than anything else....obviously a further east track helps some, but not as much as earlier bombogenesis.

Yes....east tic was negated by less impressive dynamics.

This is what I mentioned would happen a couple days ago in the "100,000,001 ways to not snow on the coast"

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes....east tic was negated by less impressive dynamics.

grasping at any hope!

According to the Euro I'm right at 15".   I wonder if my 1100 foot elevation  (600 feet above surrounding countryside)  is going to help me with better ratios?  That is all mesoscale stuff.  I can't see the rain line getting this far NW.  Tomorrow evening is going to be wild. I'll keep my weather station and infra red cam going as long as we don't loose power.

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I've seen some folks saying everything caved to GFS lol. It's been the worst of the bunch.

That said the Euro wasn't good on strength or early development either 

At least down here in CT... it's 12z snow depiction from yesterday looks about dead on. Not sure about other areas but it's been good down this way. 

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I've seen some folks saying everything caved to GFS lol. It's been the worst of the bunch.

That said the Euro wasn't good on strength or early development either 

Well it hurt itself already in CT. It has not been perfect in the near term. This is why you don't always toss this or toss that. You have to incorporate everything you see and use gut and intuition to make a call.  I know of a few times where you could go all in on one model, but many times some sort of a compromise works....with perhaps a 70/30 favor of one model over the other. 

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

At least down here in CT... it's 12z snow depiction from yesterday looks about dead on. Not sure about other areas but it's been good down this way. 

It showed a frontal passage 3 -4 days ago with no hint at 2ndary. Euro was first to show that. GFS played catch-up whole time . What it may have been better on once it caught on was the later farther north development.. but that's it

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looking back at the 12z Euro run, It looked like it developed the low over the convection that was further east then over SNE like 0z did at 0z friday

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

It showed a frontal passage 3 -4 days ago with no hint at 2ndary. Euro was first to show that. GFS played catch-up whole time . What it may have been better on once it caught on was the later farther north development.. but that's it

Enjoy the 10" of snow the ECMWF gave you yesterday then lol

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well it hurt itself already in CT. It has not been perfect in the near term. This is why you don't always toss this or toss that. You have to incorporate everything you see and use gut and intuition to make a call.  I know of a few times where you could go all in on one model, but many times some sort of a compromise works....with perhaps a 70/30 favor of one model over the other. 

But in this case even going 70/30 or 50/50 or whatever didn't work. No one south of 90 save w Mass and far NW CT is seeing any snow. A blend would have still given at least a few inches to CT and NW Ri up to Ray. Now it's rain start to finish 

14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

According to the Euro I'm right at 15".   I wonder if my 1100 foot elevation  (600 feet above surrounding countryside)  is going to help me with better ratios?  That is all mesoscale stuff.  I can't see the rain line getting this far NW.  Tomorrow evening is going to be wild. I'll keep my weather station and infra red cam going as long as we don't loose power.

I like your spot alot for this system.  I wouldn't be surprised to end up with 1/2 your total from this one.

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Funny . Why do you take part in snow threads and then troll people when things don't work out for snow lovers? You're a mod

Yes, I'm a Moderator but I'm also brutally honest.  This threat went in the trash around 18z yesterday when we started losing the early development.  Sounds like you were latching onto the NAM without looking at other guidance.  I watched the 00z runs last night and was even more confident of a washout.  Today's 12z runs confirmed that.

15 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Enjoy the 10" of snow the ECMWF gave you yesterday then lol

LOL--we've missed your posts!!

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That whole area is missing by about 20-30 miles or so either way

As it's played out, I think I'm going to be here in Mass tomorrow and heading up to Maine first thing on Friday.  That EC is so close to giving something to both locales.  We'll see if the meso's continue with their NW theme soon enough.

Archived