Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid-Long Range Discussion 2016-2017

Cary_Snow95

1 hour ago, Jon said:

That's fine, I think there's lots to learn post 240hrs on modeling. Ensembles for one, but sometimes the Operational or even controls can sniff out patterns before the ensembles. I have a classic case of this when I was posting on PV drop a couple of years back, little tipsy from eggnog so Year is escaping me but it was the year that made the polar vortex a thing in media - the Euro control was the first one to "see" it. Pretty much showed what the 18z showed tonight, then all operationals and ensembles followed suit- yet it was the control Day 13-15 that sniffed it out first.

I'm not saying trust 300+ hour operationals, but looking at trends is important. I love the 8-10 day means, btw, from PSU ewall. But I love forecasting patterns, I could care less once the storm arrives....so 10-15 day is big for me, but I understand if not all see it that way.

Agree with you Jon that things in the pattern can certainly be gleaned when looking out past day 10...i.e. trends with the big picture features.  As for the current extended model output, it looks like to me that we still have a lot of work to do to get things looking more wintry around here.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand the difference between the operational and the ensembles.  What is the "control"?

It's the Operational run which is ran at a lower resolution based on best initial
conditions. Then the control is perturbed 50 times over which creates the 50 ensemble members which are then averaged to produce the ensemble mean. So the control is just what's used to generate the members/mean. Usually the control seems to "go wild" with certain solutions, but that's only due to its lower resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that was January 2014. I remember people where like that will never happen. That will never make it. The Euro crushed the GFS with that pattern. The Euro had it days before the GFS did. I remember the could not's turned into daytime temps dropping to zero and lows in the negative teens.

Yes! I dug up some old saved images.

Control run prediction:
398cc7c1abdf77f6b04a632b6ad91869.png

GEFS played catch up
548c245a4930a2bba9b715cbbbacd624.png

6578fe1173acf4f0916bcb836180acaa.png

Euro OP
85beebe2788d1f9267ab527123fed438.png

That was fun!
a4fecd7fc6ee61413feb9df9e41cacd9.gif

8 minutes ago, Jon said:

It's the Operational run which is ran at a lower resolution based on best initial
conditions. Then the control is perturbed 50 times over which creates the 50 ensemble members which are then averaged to produce the ensemble mean. So the control is just what's used to generate the members/mean. Usually the control seems to "go wild" with certain solutions, but that's only due to its lower resolution.

Just a note to add that the Euro Ensemble has 50 members, while the GFS Ensemble has 20.

More info on ensemble prediction systems - http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/ensembletraining/

I'm fairly certain the PV is going to be on the move soon and somewhere to N.America but where exactly is kinda impossible to say.If the forecasts from the Berlin site are correct another flux warming will take place and its a little stronger than Novembers readings.

Obviously the further southeast the better if you want a shot at winter weather,but I'd like to see the west coast ridge nudge a tad east if you want to trap it in,west central Canada has been the hot spot lately,allowing ridging to hold on to our south.

Just my opinion.

3 hours ago, Jon said:

That's fine, I think there's lots to learn post 240hrs on modeling. Ensembles for one, but sometimes the Operational or even controls can sniff out patterns before the ensembles. I have a classic case of this when I was posting on PV drop a couple of years back, little tipsy from eggnog so Year is escaping me but it was the year that made the polar vortex a thing in media - the Euro control was the first one to "see" it. Pretty much showed what the 18z showed tonight, then all operationals and ensembles followed suit- yet it was the control Day 13-15 that sniffed it out first.

I'm not saying trust 300+ hour operationals, but looking at trends is important. I love the 8-10 day means, btw, from PSU ewall. But I love forecasting patterns, I could care less once the storm arrives....so 10-15 day is big for me, but I understand if not all see it that way.

That's fair.  I mean, clearly the pattern post day 10 looks better than the last 2 weeks, but I just hate seeing a trough centered that far to our west. It seems to me from many years of model watching, that we have much better luck when the predicted mean trough is centered in a good position or too far to our East.

Anytime the models hint at having a ridge well off the west coast, with huge sprawling high pressures riding down the east side of the Rocky mountains... it just trends farther west with time and we wind up with washed up cold fronts that give us 1 or two days of cold/dry followed by cutters.

But maybe we'll have better luck this time. At least there's plenty of blocking showing up across all the modeling. Just need the pieces to line up a little better.

Also, FWIW, I'm going to be snow skiing in Colorado from Jan. 14 to the 21st, so you can probably bank on a death ridge from hell over the rockies that week with multiple snow storms over the Southeast.

8 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

I think you can take these images to sum up winter 16-17 when it's all said and done. This picture has been burned into the models for days now. There's no way it's wrong.

About the closest you could ever be to glory without ever experiencing even a taste of it. Proof that blocking doesn't mean squat.

gfs_z500a_namer_40.png

gfs_z500a_namer_51.png

Well that run shows a 48 hr storm for nc so I'm all in 

I think you can take these images to sum up winter 16-17 when it's all said and done. This picture has been burned into the models for days now. There's no way it's wrong.

About the closest you could ever be to glory without ever experiencing even a taste of it. Proof that blocking doesn't mean squat.

gfs_z500a_namer_40.png

gfs_z500a_namer_51.png

that pattern will work out well for areas west of the apps , not so much east of the apps as the cold push will have a hard time making much progress . Get a big front to stall with a SW flow and overrunning will produce

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

gfs_z500a_namer_40.png

gfs_z500a_namer_51.png

Come on man..... lighten up just a tad. For starters, we will get our winter weather. MBY has never been shut-out in the snow department and this will not be the year it happens. The block you think will not mean squat, is not compatible with a SER. It would be extremely rare to have a block that strong and a SER at the same time. I call BS.....

Just now, bhamwx205 said:

that pattern will work out well for areas west of the apps , not so much east of the apps as the cold push will have a hard time making much progress . Get a big front to stall with a SW flow and overrunning will produce

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Any cold front in that pattern will set up shop on the western slopes of the Apps. But hey, cutters are our game this winter! 

2 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Come on man..... lighten up just a tad. For starters, we will get our winter weather. MBY has never been shut-out in the snow department and this will not be the year it happens. The block you think will not mean squat, is not compatible with a SER. It would be extremely rare to have a block that strong and a SER at the same time. I call BS.....

There's a first time for everything. The North pole was almost above freezing last week. Our planet is very sick.

We need to find a name for this pattern. The Baja-Quebec trough? 

This is more than a run of the mill SE ridge. This is an entire Atlantic basin ridge. Real ugly.

2 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

There's a first time for everything. The North pole was almost above freezing last week. Our planet is very sick.

This is more than a run of the mill SE ridge. This is an entire Atlantic basin ridge. Real ugly.

Yet the fantasy snows were epic so the whole run wasn't ugly. 

3 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

I see the anomalies.... However, I am not as down on winter as some are. I see the opportunity for a powerful "zipper low" if we can get an arctic front to hang up along the SE coastline. With a temperature gradient like that, we could be staring down the barrel of a record coastal low pressure system at some point. I have a great deal of confidence that Canada will be cold in January and right now the debate is how far south and east that cold air is able to progress. We are getting ready to enter the peak season for deep troughs and little changes in the position or orientation could have big consequences for us. Bottom line is we can't write off any solution for Jan at this point. It is not wise to assume that the last 4 weeks will be the same as the next 4.

7 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Yowza! +30 above normal anyone? Maybe we can get us a good ol' fashioned January tornado outbreak to track! 

gfs_T2ma_us_35.png

Dude you need to lighten up a bit. Posting an 18z run anomaly chart from the gfs 200 hours out knowing it will change...in fact has already. Not near as bad on the next run. I'd say posts like these and some others are for sure why a lot of people have moved on to different boards. You are a knowledgeable fellow it seems but use common sense as well.

16 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

Dude you need to lighten up a bit. Posting an 18z run anomaly chart from the gfs 200 hours out knowing it will change...in fact has already. Not near as bad on the next run. I'd say posts like these and some others are for sure why a lot of people have moved on to different boards. You are a knowledgeable fellow it seems but use common sense as well.

I for one enjoy seeing the way that models flip from run to run. How else can that be demonstrated unless the maps are posted?

4 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

I for one enjoy seeing the way that models flip from run to run. How else can that be demonstrated unless the maps are posted?

Yep, agree.  We may be wishing for some 60's if the ensembles are correct for day 10-15.  Curious to see how well these day 11-12 temps verify.

IMG_3630.PNG

IMG_3631.PNG

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

Yep, agree.  We may be wishing for some 60's if the ensembles are correct for day 10-15.  Curious to see how well these day 11-12 temps verify.

IMG_3630.PNG

IMG_3631.PNG

If one looks not too far in the recent past, for example, if you go to youtube and view the covereage of 1985 in Memphis and December of 1983, it is amazing that the weather was forecasted with as much accuracy as it was. I am just like everyone else, frustrated when modeling changes on a dime but the shear physics alone that go into each of these model runs is mind boggling. We are privileged to live in the era in which we do. The amazing thing is, that in twenty years, we will look back to this time period and wonder how we ever got it right with such primitive modeling!

44 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

That was the 0z run, btw. Still almost exactly the same on the 6z too.

gfs_T2ma_us_34.png

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

IMG_3630.PNG

IMG_3631.PNG

Those look exactly like the maps for the last outbreak! Where Chicago got down to 20 below or colder, but it backed off for us and never really got over the mountains good! Hope that doesn't happen again!

Archived