joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Long Range Discussion 2016-2017

Cary_Snow95

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a hunch that both of our subs are going to start getting excited by next weekend. Ens guidance seems to be holding a better look starting around the 5th. There is finally some consensus with a more confluent look in the east instead of easy ridging leading into frontal passages. 

Broad conus troughing on the means is encouraging. We need hp over the top to have a chance. The baroclinic zone looks to keep carving further south over the next 10 days and a cold conus pattern is slowly becoming likely. It sucks of course that we'll both have to endure multipe rain events for a while but my gut is telling me that a real window is coming up.

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I have a hunch that both of our subs are going to start getting excited by next weekend. Ens guidance seems to be holding a better look starting around the 5th. There is finally some consensus with a more confluent look in the east instead of easy ridging leading into frontal passages. 

Broad conus troughing on the means is encouraging. We need hp over the top to have a chance. The baroclinic zone looks to keep carving further south over the next 10 days and a cold conus pattern is slowly becoming likely. It sucks of course that we'll both have to endure multipe rain events for a while but my gut is telling me that a real window is coming up.

Yep! Really looking good in that timeframe!! Especially in yalls area! That is a classic track and maybe both forums can cash in! Definitely starting to get excited! It's been showing up for a few days now, the general idea of a storm!

21 minutes ago, AshevilleCityWx said:

Yea rain several times hard then it will turn cold and dry. No reason to get excited over that, fantasy storms that are tailing 2 or 3 rain events will change once it gets to day 5. We need a fast forward button for about 12days+. Nothing to see here in the short or mid range.

Don't bother. They won't listen. :lol: That's what I've been saying, at least two weeks. Probably 3-4. Which would put us in late-JAN to get the pattern, Fab FEB for the snow.

I'm posting model analysis. The CFS has lost the cool anomalies for basically the entire nation for JAN in these crucial end-of-the-month runs. Not good.

The MJO is heading towards phase 3. Terrible.

The GEFS is wall-to-wall warm right through 300hr. Awful.

The EPS is wall-to-wall warm for 10+ days minus NYE. Disgusting.

All models have lost the decent-looking HLB LR pattern shown the past few days, even the Para.

You want more?

the 12z gefs supports a colder patter .

12z gfs goes nuts with blocking

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Interesting that 62 keeps popping up as top analog.  For RDU and it looks like you area too it was one of the most epic stretches we could have, multiple winter storms from around Jan 10-28th.  Now that I have jinxed us...LOL.

Screen Shot 2016-12-25 at 1.15.15 PM.png

2 hours ago, Jon said:

Indices are looking up, we actually have the AO forecasted at least neutral with the NAO and EPO to take a dive. The Euro is on our side. I believe unless we see some fantasy storms on the globals, this forum won't be happy. So I'm hoping for
a Christmas miracle fantasy snow today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats cause you just got it. Actually been showing it last day or 2 on and off. Nice hit TN and northern 2/3 rds of NC. 

Bob's right. Very strong signals for a great window of opportunity coming up starting late first week of January. Those fronts are gonna set the table for overruning events. Can't wait. 

Congrats cause you just got it. Actually been showing it last day or 2 on and off. Nice hit TN and northern 2/3 rds of NC. 

Bob's right. Very strong signals for a great window of opportunity coming up starting late first week of January. Those fronts are gonna set the table for overruning events. Can't wait. 

I agree with bob and honestly I couldn't be more excited about the Jan pattern. We go from blowtorch ridges to what Pack just posted that the GEFS is showing. Issue here for a lot of folks is no fantasy storms, plain and simple. They need a model to drop snow to believe in a pattern. I guess it does help to know something is possible if a model shows it, but with pattern recognition and indices that's all you truthfully need. We've cashed in with patterns that look like crap to be honest. Also We don't really want overwhelming cold showing up on the ensembles - any deeply negative anomalies for January would most likely lead to suppression of any system we get out of the gulf...We need it just right in the Carolinas...yeah this pattern may yield some mix events/IP but that's better than toasting all year. This pattern could work out quite well for areas in elevation. Very interesting look.

Just saw the run. 1052 HP sliding into the Con. US, wow. Hoping the later runs bring a big one for weenies near and far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

He will probably get some before Carrollton or Donglonia!

I can't find the post from late last year, but we did have snow showers and the Board lit up when I posted.

Just remembering this day from 1989 - drove up to Jax to see my folks for Christms; left here with an inch on the ground; got to the parents' home in Jax and about 2"; my Dad the south GA boy, wanted to take his Tahoe out to north Jax to see the 4" and on the way slid off the road. I laughed so hard when he called me and wanted his FWD chained out of a ditch  :~)   Having just moved back from the lake effect area in far north Indiana, all I could do was smile, smile, smile

Anyway - Merry Christmas!

We'll get it again - sometime!

To clarify my post to Jon, it's the ens means i was referencing,  not a op. Like Jon said it's the ens that will have a more accurate picture, not a op out past 5 days. The means and indy members showing white carpet being laid have been consistent and starting to beat the drum louder. If your watching those, not the op then you can clearly see the trend and looking at 5h its easy to see why.

Personally, I couldn't care less about a 10 day fantasy snowstorm beyond the realm of entertainment.  The only thing I am remotely concerned about is all of the long range holiday ensemble cheer getting closer to the dinner table.  I've seen a lot of ensemble patterns this year that have looked great through the 300 hr+ beer goggles only to sober up quickly inside truncation.  Hopefully, we can work out a Christmas miracle pretty soon.

I don't see anything to get excited about in January. Looks like blocking is going to set up and provide more record snowfall out west in the rocky mountains while we continue to be the warmest place in the United States with a persistent SE ridge.  I'm as optimistic of a person as you will find, but I just don't see it...

test8.gif

11 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

I don't see anything to get excited about in January. Looks like blocking is going to set up and provide more record snowfall out west in the rocky mountains while we continue to be the warmest place in the United States with a persistent SE ridge.  I'm as optimistic of a person as you will find, but I just don't see it...

test8.gif

Finally, a voice of reason! I've had 22" of ensemble snow this year! Vs 0 in reality and sitting at 68 degrees currently on Christmas! 

Archived