joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Long Range Discussion 2016-2017

Cary_Snow95

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/springlike-warmth-to-begin-on-christmas-day-across-southeastern-us/70000369

" Throughout the Christmas holiday last year, much of the Southeastern states basked in record warmth. Atlanta set a record high five days in a row from Dec. 24 to Dec. 27, reaching the mid- to upper 70s. This year will be no different. "

11 minutes ago, J.C. said:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/springlike-warmth-to-begin-on-christmas-day-across-southeastern-us/70000369

" Throughout the Christmas holiday last year, much of the Southeastern states basked in record warmth. Atlanta set a record high five days in a row from Dec. 24 to Dec. 27, reaching the mid- to upper 70s. This year will be no different. "

Hmm. My math may be off but isn't Dec 24-27th four days and not five?

I am not jumping off a cliff and cancelling winter yet but I consider that the probability of it turning out to be a "good" winter is pretty low at this point.  If one were to grade a winter on a 0 to 100 point scale I am expecting this year's to be somewhere in the 30 - 50 range.  I personally judge winters mainly on a temperature basis but with significant impact from frozen precip.  As far as temps go, I would take into account both average and extreme events.  So if two winters came out with the same average temp, I would rate a winter as better if it had more cold snaps and/or fewer torch spells

Assuming that the last five years of perpetual non-blocking is not the new AGW normal, I look forward to a regime change.  Maybe next year.

1 minute ago, cbmclean said:

I am not jumping off a cliff and cancelling winter yet but I consider that the probability of it turning out to be a "good" winter is pretty low at this point.  If one were to grade a winter on a 0 to 100 point scale I am expecting this year's to be somewhere in the 30 - 50 range.  I personally judge winters mainly on a temperature basis but with significant impact from frozen precip.  As far as temps go, I would take into account both average and extreme events.  So if two winters came out with the same average temp, I would rate a winter as better if it had more cold snaps and/or fewer torch spells

Assuming that the last five years of perpetual non-blocking is not the new AGW normal, I look forward to a regime change.  Maybe next year.

Oh, and last December came in at -1,000 on my scale.

6 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Don't worry, it's wrong. Snow incoming first week of JAN. :lol: 

Second run in a row with not even a fantasy flake on the snow/cold-happy GFS-Para. Gonna be a quiet next two weeks in here!

Then you might as well leave now.

The models are changing every single day. But make sure you keep harping on the runs that don't show anything when there have been others showing a strong storm signal and cold. And a couple of days near 70 and the rest of the week at or below average temps is not a torch. And it doesn't have to be in the teens to get a winter storm. As long as it is below freezing and a chance for a winter storm, who cares? 

6 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

So you just want to stay on troll. Got it.

I'm posting model analysis. The CFS has lost the cool anomalies for basically the entire nation for JAN in these crucial end-of-the-month runs. Not good.

The MJO is heading towards phase 3. Terrible.

The GEFS is wall-to-wall warm right through 300hr. Awful.

The EPS is wall-to-wall warm for 10+ days minus NYE. Disgusting.

All models have lost the decent-looking HLB LR pattern shown the past few days, even the Para.

You want more?

8 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

I'm posting model analysis. The CFS has lost the cool anomalies for basically the entire nation for JAN in these crucial end-of-the-month runs. Not good.

The MJO is heading towards phase 3. Terrible.

The GEFS is wall-to-wall warm right through 300hr. Awful.

The EPS is wall-to-wall warm for 10+ days minus NYE. Disgusting.

All models have lost the decent-looking HLB LR pattern shown the past few days, even the Para.

You want more?

Go back to 24 hours earlier when everyone was excited about the model runs and pattern. That's my point. They change every day, but you always harp on the negative when we really have no idea what it will be like past a week. I guess it's your shtick. 

GEFS trying to drift the trough east some, actually bulk of the conus BN for days 11+.  EPS starts doing this day 14 or so....below are the wQBO/ weak nina winter and we look to be going down that path.  These were all snowy winters, with several having snowy Januarys.  It may not be till mid/end of January but we will see.

Screen Shot 2016-12-25 at 9.39.37 AM.png

46 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Go back to 24 hours earlier when everyone was excited about the model runs and pattern. That's my point. They change every day, but you always harp on the negative when we really have no idea what it will be like past a week. I guess it's your shtick. 

Somebody must have been on the naughty list this Christmas.  Grumpy grumpy.

This is the last 10 days of CFS runs...about what we would expect for Jan.  Hopefully that SE warmth is from the first 10 days of January and last half of Jan is BN.

Screen Shot 2016-12-25 at 9.48.56 AM.png

CFS tends to have a run or two in the last 10 that has a torch which is way overdone if you look back last month and this month. If you could remove those outliers it would likely be closer to the real thing.
I.e. Nov 29th - large +4 swath

It will most likely verify very closely to the Nov 30th run in my opinion. I'm anxiously awaiting the final run of this month for Jan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indices are looking up, we actually have the AO forecasted at least neutral with the NAO and EPO to take a dive. The Euro is on our side. I believe unless we see some fantasy storms on the globals, this forum won't be happy. So I'm hoping for
a Christmas miracle fantasy snow today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to see a good pattern set up. If we get a good pattern and still don't get snow - so what. At least we have a >5% chance, unlike trying to thread the needle on a perfectly timed/placed LP-vs-HP hybrid Miller B ice to rain setup.

Someone brought up the SSTs, which is very interesting. The whole Atlantic is bathwater (but not the sloshy kind) so it makes sense than basically the entire Atlantic ocean houses a massive ridge, stopping the western trough (which may be responding to the massive cold pool of water in the eastern Pacific.) from rolling east.

Archived