Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Long Range Discussion 2016-2017

Cary_Snow95

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

Sooooo you're chasing after a D14-16 GFS fantasy storm? See, this is what I mean. It IS bad. :lol: 

And it's really not craziness to say with some degree of confidence that the pattern is not currently, and probably will not become, conducive to a winter storm in the southeast for at least 2 weeks. Even JB, the biggest snow and cold hypeman on the planet (the equivalent of Mystikal in hip hop) is saying pack it up til at least mid-JAN. THAT'S how you know we're not in a good spot.

You never know, there are a few cold blasts coming around New Years and a few days later! Could be something pop up with only 2 days out on a stalled boundary! You don't get wall to wall cold, even in VA, so we just have to hope! It's happened with rain a few times this fall already

I don't know why everybody gets so disappointed.  We should expect a decent winter once or twice a decade with the way the climate has warmed. In 2013 when the southeast had a decent winter and Boston had all the snow, the east coast was one of two small regions that were below normal for the entire northern hemisphere.  The chances of any full month being below normal are about 10-15% mathematically speaking.  Expect nothing and maybe somebody will get lucky.

Just now, mackerel_sky said:

You never know, there are a few cold blasts coming around New Years and a few days later! Could be something pop up with only 2 days out on a stalled boundary! You don't get wall to wall cold, even in VA, so we just have to hope! It's happened with rain a few times this fall already

I know this. But having cold without snow is like having a great regular season record in a sport, then choking in the playoffs. We are the Peyton Manning of U.S. winter! :lol: 

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Nothing in the foreseeable future looks conducive to winter weather. Yeah sure, we may get a 1-2 day transient block in early JAN before the trough shifts back to the west where it's been all year. Everything that would help us get snow is transient, and the systems never match up with the cold. As it sits, for at least the next 2 weeks, the only way we get a storm is if we get a PERFECTLY timed storm track underneath a PERFECTLY timed high pressure system for a CAD event. And something like that would be a mixed bag with temp issues at best.

Gonna have to count on FEB for like the 4th winter in a row now...

This is ridiculous.  

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

I know this. But having cold without snow is like having a great regular season record in a sport, then choking in the playoffs. We are the Peyton Manning of U.S. winter! :lol: 

But I'll take a good regular season and a post-season egg over a crappy regular season any time. Believe me, as a Gamecock fan I know not to take a good or even decent season for granted - I'll take whatever I can get!

Good thing the season just started 3 days ago :)

While frustrating, I do think we should all relax just a bit. GSP has only been completely blanked one time in a 130+ years, and NC peeps never have been. Though certainly possible, it would be difficult indeed to come up completely empty handed. We'll have a few chances, we're just going to have to take our medicine, put our big boy or girl pants on, and accept that the West is going to have a much better year this year than the East, as has been the dominant December pattern; unless we see some big changes. 

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

Atlantic is just boiling, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise we are seeing such a strong Atlantic ridge being modeled.  Hopefully that weakens as we get deeper into a winter. 

IMG_3583.PNG

That could also help a developing low(..remember Burger's BOOM!). Also something JB said years back; cold loves to go towards the heat.  

9 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

But I'll take a good regular season and a post-season egg over a crappy regular season any time. Believe me, as a Gamecock fan I know not to take a good or even decent season for granted - I'll take whatever I can get!

As a State fan, I wouldn't know the first thing about how to take a great regular season or a strong run in the playoffs.  I'll settle for flurries at this point!

9 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Good thing the season just started 3 days ago :)

While frustrating, I do think we should all relax just a bit. GSP has only been completely blanked one time in a 130+ years, and NC peeps never have been. Though certainly possible, it would be difficult indeed to come up completely empty handed. We'll have a few chances, we're just going to have to take our medicine, put our big boy or girl pants on, and accept that the West is going to have a much better year this year than the East, as has been the dominant December pattern; unless we see some big changes. 

That just amazes me how NC can be that far south and not one single year have they been blanked. I can understand the mountains never being blanked, but the lower elevations also ? Eventually it's going to happen.

14 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

That just amazes me how NC can be that far south and not one single year have they been blanked. I can understand the mountains never being blanked, but the lower elevations also ? Eventually it's going to happen.

Lower elevations definitely have.  I am from near Fayetteville and I can remember at least one year in the mid 90's where I didn't see one iota of frozen precip; not one flake or even and ice pellet.

14 minutes ago, Cary_Snow95 said:

There is potential between the 7-9. So much doom and gloom. We go thru this craziness every year it's silly

Silly on both sides.  Silly because looking at model runs 14 days out and trying to pretend they mean something is, well, silly. 

Archived