Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Long Range Discussion 2016-2017

Cary_Snow95

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

It *should* look better.  But I guess my question is how do we know that cold at D10 is not grossly overdone like it usually is at D10?  What's going to make it so this particular D10+ cold pattern makes it into the SE, instead of devolving into the meh-ness of its predecessors so far this winter?

Because the GFS and CMC , also say cold! Ignore the Euro and go with the Pioneer !! :)

I'd guess our current best shot per the GEFS would be somewhere in and around the JAN 4-8 frame with that broad trough. Something could sneak through the southern stream under that big trough axis and make a lot of folks happy.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_43.png

It's the only period of remote interest, but SE ridging is lurking in line with persistence. Need more cold press to the SE given normal model tendencies at range to warm, especially this winter

24 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

I don't recall anyone calling for a great January or February this year. Most said our best shot was December this year. And well, that's not going to happen.

And I'm not saying everyone will get blanked. I just think we need to pull for a "normal" February to salvage winter like we did in 13-14 and 14-15.

You will do fine.  It's south of RAH that is concerning.  Especially if the PNA stays negative

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

You will do fine.  It's south of RAH that is concerning.  Especially if the PNA stays negative

I'm not selfish, I want everyone to score! 

I'll be honest though; with the way our planet is behaving this day in age, so volatile with a thirst for extremes; it honestly wouldn't totally floor me if we all got blanked in the snow accumulation department. It's not impossible. 

9 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

I'm not selfish, I want everyone to score! 

I'll be honest though; with the way our planet is behaving this day in age, so volatile with a thirst for extremes; it honestly wouldn't totally floor me if we all got blanked in the snow accumulation department. It's not impossible. 

I agree with that.  I think the shut out cut off will be extreme this season.  Where it sets up is anyone's guess.  I'm sticking to N NC as the dividing line for now.  The SER is just too relentless. 

I didn't realize this was a prediction thread.

Something I've noticed a lot of (and I have to add to it somewhat, because I think it is necessary), is a lot of banter in what is supposed to be a thread that people are learning from. Seeing posts that provide no scientific basis for predictions, just say "this is what we will get because I said so", doesn't help the reader learn anything from the site.

If you're going to post on this thread - make it somewhat constructive - not satire, providing predictions with no reasoning behind it, etc. I've learned a lot from this forum, so let's keep it that way. 

lol I don't get the negative attitude towards the 12z eps . it's much improved vs just a few days ago . shows a nice gradient pattern . hell it just joined the cold party LAST NIGHT. But I guess we can all pick and choose a run that fits our narrative

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I've just about given up on ATL ever having a BN month again. 11 straight AN months and counting.

When the AMO goes negative again.  Its relatively clear cut historically how relatively snowless and mild the winters and hot the summers are in the SE during the warm AMO

Archived