joxey
Dec 17th snow/sleet/frz rain Obs

dmillz25

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Unlikely, I measured 3.5" at 116th and broadway

You can get variations over a short distance. 

BRONX                 3.0   830 AM 12/17  COCORAHS
  WASHINGTON HEIGHTS     3.8   900 AM 12/17  TRAINED SPOTTER
   CENTRAL PARK          2.8   900 AM 12/17  PARK CONSERVANCY
   LINCOLN CENTER        2.4   830 AM 12/17  COCORAHS    
 HARRISON                2.5   845 AM 12/17  CO-OP OBSERVER

17 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

LGA 1.7 inches at 10 am?

If they let that stand no ones paying attention or cares.

I even thought 2.8 at KNYC was a tad low. JFK reported 3.0

You'll have to change your screen name :P

Also I'm thinking tomorrow's less than impressive rainfall and brief warm-up may not be enough to kill the snowpack for those who saw 3" or more. Mine will probably be gone though

6 hours ago, nzucker said:

We have switched over to plain rain at 33.2F at the local Wunderground station; LGA Is at 33F as well. I am located on a hill at about 100' elevation or so up from the water, and about 5 long blocks from the water (Barretto Cove, East River).

I would guess we run about 1F cooler than someone right on the water at zero elevation. It is probably around 32.5F (?) here at my house as roads are still slick and partially snow-covered. Conditions are improving, though.

The plain rain only fell for an hour or an hour and a half.  All the precip shut off before noon,  the highest temp here while precip was falling was 34F

6 hours ago, Allsnow said:

2 inches here of snow and sleet 

the nam did a great job with this storm. Hopefully people stop taking tidbits snow maps as gospel 

Don't know if you saw my posts earlier - 2.25" next door in Metuchen (measured at the exact moment of the changeover to ZR, lol).  Really thought we'd get to 3" when it was pouring snow and the snow/sleet line looked like it was 30 miles SE of us - pretty sure the line was "wrong" or else it moved at light speed.  

3 hours ago, Paragon said:

The plain rain only fell for an hour or an hour and a half.  All the precip shut off before noon,  the highest temp here while precip was falling was 34F

No I had on and off drizzle most of the day and it just started and stopped again about 15 minutes ago.  It is so soggy right now...

6 hours ago, Allsnow said:

2 inches here of snow and sleet 

the nam did a great job with this storm. Hopefully people stop taking tidbits snow maps as gospel 

The NAM on Thursday had NYC hitting 45 degrees around 10AM today. I am still at 36 degrees here in Queens. Went over to sleet at 815AM and didnt get above 32 until around 1030...

27 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Don't know if you saw my posts earlier - 2.25" next door in Metuchen (measured at the exact moment of the changeover to ZR, lol).  Really thought we'd get to 3" when it was pouring snow and the snow/sleet line looked like it was 30 miles SE of us - pretty sure the line was "wrong" or else it moved at light speed.  

It was moving fast! Lol. Always great to see your measurements which brings us to 3 inches for the month. I measured a little after the change over. Was plowing snow at the Costco on vinyard rd most of the morning. Ended my long day at Metuchen diner for food lol 

Archived