Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 17th snow/sleet/frz rain Obs

dmillz25

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Is it also connected to the dew point? So basically, the temp is 33 F right now and the dew point is 30 F, so the coldest the surface temp can be is 30 F?

The NWS defines Dewpoint as:  The temperature to which air must be cooled to reach saturation.  Basically, a higher Dewpoint means there is more moisture in the air.  Surface temp really has to do with the surface type.  Metal, wood, concrete etc.  All of them absorb and radiate heat differently, which can affect events like these.

6 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Wow, heavier than I thought those last 2 hours, finished with 7.5... took final measurement in 3 separate spots and with a level to ensure no suspected funny businesst6yrdd.jpg24o2a68.jpg

Do you have a snowboard?  I thought you still had snow on the ground like I did before this moved in. 

8 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Mine is around 7" at my stake but I didn't have consistent coverage like it appeared you did. 

I had zero snow back here on the east side of house (back side) I hade about 1-1.5" on my front side that sees very little sunlight, if anything my grass is a tad long and maybe adds .5, but I measured on my deck also which has been bone dry and got 6.9" but it's elevated pretty high

i got   6.9, 7.7,  7.4

2 higher amounts in yard (probably cause grass)

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I had zero snow back here on the east side of house (back side) I hade about 1-1.5" on my front side that sees very little sunlight, if anything my grass is a tad long and maybe adds .5, but I measured on my deck also which has been bone dry and got 6.9" but it's elevated pretty high

i got   6.9, 7.7,  7.4

2 higher amounts in yard (probably cause grass)

Cool. I'll buy you a snow ruler for Christmas;)

25 minutes ago, snywx said:

Whats your temp? How close are you to the water? 

We have switched over to plain rain at 33.2F at the local Wunderground station; LGA Is at 33F as well. I am located on a hill at about 100' elevation or so up from the water, and about 5 long blocks from the water (Barretto Cove, East River).

I would guess we run about 1F cooler than someone right on the water at zero elevation. It is probably around 32.5F (?) here at my house as roads are still slick and partially snow-covered. Conditions are improving, though.

1 minute ago, nzucker said:

We have switched over to plain rain at 33.2F at the local Wunderground station; LGA Is at 33F as well. I am located on a hill at about 100' elevation or so up from the water, and about 5 long blocks from the water (Barretto Cove, East River).

I would guess we run about 1F cooler than someone right on the water at zero elevation. It is probably around 32.5F (?) here at my house as roads are still slick and partially snow-covered.

The Hunts Point Wunderground station (reporting -RA at 33.2F) appears to be right on the water as its elevation is listed at 26'. I am definitely higher than that as you walk up a big hill on Spofford from Longwood Av in order to get here; there is also a further drop righr near water's edge. Thus, I estimate my elevation around 100-110', and it's probably colder than 33.2F here.

13 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Ended up with about 4" here.  Transitioned between about 8:50 and 9:15 with a mix in between.  Plain rain now at 32.5.

I got a nice ski in at Caleb Smith State Park earlier.  Snuck up on a bunch of deer on the trail and spooked them good.

20161217_091005.jpg

20161217_083452.jpg

Nice shots. Great park. You beat me this time by .5. You at 5" yet for the season?

12 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Cool. I'll buy you a snow ruler for Christmas;)

I have a board but a crappy one, and I had already wiped it a few times cause I didn't want compaction to effect it, just went out to do driveway which was def bare lol... measured 6.7 so the deck and driveway are about .50-.75 less than yard, so I'll call it 6.7 rather than 7.5

11 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Nice shots. Great park. You beat me this time by .5. You at 5" yet for the season?

I beat you by .2"  Could have been a bit more, but I was out skiing until the changeover.  4.8" for the season.  Hopefully 5" isn't the new 50 :)

33 now and it looks like the rain will end by noon.  Gonna go out and shovel just for the heck of it.  Who knows when the next time will be.

Archived