Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 17th snow/sleet/frz rain Obs

dmillz25

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ForestHillWx said:

Interesting storm with the city/LI still snowing. I changed over at 8 am, right after a burst of snow to get me to 2". Now sleet. Temp is 22. This could get ugly. 

the colder air is entrenched right at the city,also the flow is now starting to change to northerly as a low off the coast starts cranking.

Just now, BxWeatherwatcher said:

im 15 miles south here in the bronx and it's still going..cracked 4 inches 20 mins ago,so were just about the bulls eye as of now right across into the north shore of l.i..

It's pretty even in terms of amounts accross the board... not really seeing any pockets of crazy amounts... I'm just a hair over 4", as is probably the case with lost the city and LI

39 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 7:30 am, the snow had mostly changed to sleet at 27F and we had 2.0" of snow on the ground.  Was afraid the snow was done, but it just changed back to all snow at 7:45 and it's pouring snow at its heaviest yet for the storm  Woohoo!

Well, that was short-lived.  The snow quickly changed to sleet and now freezing rain, at 27F, still.  2.25" total snow/sleet, as I think we're done with snow/sleet. The 32F line appears to be from about Mount Holly across to about Sandy Hook, so it's got a ways to go to get up here.  

http://www.njweather.org/maps/nj-statewide-air-temperatures

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

It's pretty even in terms of amounts accross the board... not really seeing any pockets of crazy amounts... I'm just a hair over 4", as is probably the case with lost the city and LI

I'm at 3".

City stations are likely 2.5"-3.5" and snow is over.

2 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Looks like we have ZR now here. This is going to be bad for a few hours

Does freezing rain make the snow melt or does it just freeze on top of it? I want to know because I'm wondering if I should measure now or measure when the temp climbs up to 32

Just now, bluewave said:

I am 29.7 with a sleet freezing rain mix. Snowfall total 0f 3.5".

Thanks, it's 28.7 here so I just rounded it up to 29.  Does freezing rain make the snow that's on the ground melt or does it just freeze on top of it? I was thinking of either measuring now or measuring when it hits 32 F

Archived