joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ponder is happy.  62 and going up. 65F anyone?  Windows open and nice south breeze up on the hill.  Melt snow melt.   eek,  I use cheap photo editing software and sharpen the images I take.  Most people don't use all the smartphone camera features but you can do a lot.  Also as just bander my pet peeve is people that take video with the phone on vertical.  You only get 1/3 picture.  Always use your phone in horizontal.  

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Ponder is happy.  62 and going up. 65F anyone?  Windows open and nice south breeze up on the hill.  Melt snow melt.   eek,  I use cheap photo editing software and sharpen the images I take.  Most people don't use all the smartphone camera features but you can do a lot.  Also as just bander my pet peeve is people that take video with the phone on vertical.  You only get 1/3 picture.  Always use your phone in horizontal.  

I can't support this statement enough.  It drives me nuts seeing an interesting video without seeing the full picture.  Even when watching the video on your phone, you're still missing a lot of detail.

17 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Good looking cat

62.3F  lava.... Ponder was a kitten I kept seeing her at our dump a few years ago.  She lived under a dumpster.   One fall day as it was getting colder we put out a have a heart trap.  Caught her as a feral kitten/young cat.  We "Pondered" as to try to tame her and keep her.  We did.  She is the best, most loving cat in the world.  I keep telling her she is one lucky feline!

Edit   62.6F

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This is a pretty epic torch up here for a foot plus of snow cover. 

I was looking at my record to see what my warmest day with snow cover was and it looks like it was 3/18/2003 at 68° with 5" of snow on the ground.  The warmest day with 12 or more inches was 4/11/1996 at 63° with 15".  On 1/18 and 1/19/1996 I hit 61° with 16" and then 10" which is a little more amazing given the date and the back to back 60s. 

The highest temp with more than 20" on the ground was 55° on 2/13/2011.

It looks like it's 66° now so that is one of the warmest.  I had 4" this morning which will probably be a trace by tomorrow morning.  We'll see if the coverage is less than half the yard or not.

35 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

62.3F  lava.... Ponder was a kitten I kept seeing her at our dump a few years ago.  She lived under a dumpster.   One fall day as it was getting colder we put out a have a heart trap.  Caught her as a feral kitten/young cat.  We "Pondered" as to try to tame her and keep her.  We did.  She is the best, most loving cat in the world.  I keep telling her she is one lucky feline!

Edit   62.6F

my wife would approve. we always adopt from the rescue shelter.

4 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

how can anyone deny climate change anymore? lol

lol two years ago my average temp for the month was 16, using short term stuff for justifying climate change is dumb and weakens any scientific argument.Climate isn't a day/week/month. Does climate change, most certainly, does this prove it, um no

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

lol two years ago my average temp for the month was 16, using short term stuff for justifying climate change is dumb and weakens any scientific argument.Climate isn't a day/week/month. Does climate change, most certainly, does this prove it, um no

Climate change can in fact be proven by "extremes". When every torch results in record highs, you know the background state is warming. 

Every time the sun comes out we seem to set a new record high. That is not normal...hence the term "record".

5 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Climate change can in fact be proven by "extremes". When every torch results in record highs, you know the background state is warming. 

Every time the sun comes out we seem to set a new record high. That is not normal...hence the term "record".

short term memory loss? I guess Feb 15 extremes proved the climate was changing, its an ignorant argument. climate involves an extended period or record. Just last year scientists were saying California's drought would never resolve, oops. Has the climate warmed, most certainly, does any one event prove it, no. This winter doesn't prove a thing, climate is long term, until you realize that you will fall to every single cry everytime. Sorry you didn't get the snow you wanted this year, it may never snow again.

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

short term memory loss? I guess Feb 15 extremes proved the climate was changing, its an ignorant argument. climate involves an extended period or record. Just last year scientists were saying California's drought would never resolve, oops. Has the climate warmed, most certainly, does any one event prove it, no. This winter doesn't prove a thing, climate is long term, until you realize that you will fall to every single cry everytime. Sorry you didn't get the snow you wanted this year, it may never snow again.

What? I got plenty of snow this winter, i am already above average, has nothing to do with that. I have no problem with snow when its cold, and warm when its not snowing. Perfect in my book. 

3 months in a row of +8 temp departures, after least years +13 for December is not "short term." 

NYC has like 20 months in a row of + temp departures, its not short term. 

But keep sticking your head in the sand. 

Archived