Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter Thread

mattie g

36 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Actually will take my snow anyway it is served.  The thing I like about blizzards is the actual warning.  It's red on the NWS site and one step above WSW.  It's rare and exciting and ratchets the panic level up.  Even the blizzard watch is an evil green color.  I could leave the wind however.  

I can honestly say that I've never panicked over a winter weather event.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for a preference for a true blizzard v. quietly falling snow, I suppose the latter is really nice, and the serenity of snow is really brought home by such a storm. That said, I agree with Watcher that the rarity of snow with real wind ratchets up the coolness factor if a storm, even if the impacts aren't that much greater around here given the tendency for things to warm up enough after a storm so that roads are cleared and things get back to normal fairly quickly.

Of course,schools are closed for ages after big snows, but that doesn't count since schools around here close for chilly weather or leftover snow piles on the corner.

2 hours ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Alright quick question for all my weenies out there.. Am I the only one who actually doesn't like wind with my snow? I enjoy a calm to light wind so I can actually see the snow falling lol. Last year during the night I couldn't even see the snow it was just a bunch of pixie dust blowing around haha. I said it! I don't like blizzards! Tell me I'm not the only one on this.. please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you should create a separate thread for this topic. It would be interesting to see people's preference and the reasons why. 

Personally, I prefer a blizzard because it has a much higher likelihood for tall street accumulations from drifting. It's dispiriting to me to be able to see the blacktop peaking through on roads right after the storm where the tire track indentations melted first. 

On 12/26/2016 at 11:24 AM, Clueless said:

Thanks.  Been tough. Now if it would only snow.  

:( I, as others here, understand far too well what you are going through, and I am so sorry for your loss.

My Dad died 3 years ago on Dec 8th.  That day, the gang here made me smile quite often because it was our first big snow day of the season and they were joyously happy.

As others have said, take it one day, one step at a time. Please don't hesitate to ask for a hug. And as Katie said, the next year of "first's" without a parent is rough. However, it does get easier.

(((( HUGE HUG ))))

On 12/26/2016 at 10:33 AM, Clueless said:

It was a great film.   Made Christmas just a bit merrier for me.  I lost my mother st the beginning of the month.  What a nice respite from reality.  

So sorry to hear about the loss of your mother!  I lost my mother to stomach cancer when she was 49 and I was 27.  I agree with Mappy, all firsts are the hardest, but hang in there, it does get better.  The pain will always sting, but as the days go by you will be begin to remember the good times and cherish those memories more and more. I know I'm not in your region, but hugs from a fellow weather enthusiast from northeast TN.

I saw my favorite band (Clutch) @ 9:30 club last night. OMG they killed it. 17 song set without a break.  My wife has never seen them and agreed that they are one of the best live hard rock bands out there. If you are into hard rock and like bands like Fu Manchu or Corrosion of Conformity then they  are a must see/listen to. All original stuff spanning back 25 years. 

5 hours ago, MiddleRvrwx said:

:( I, as others here, understand far too well what you are going through, and I am so sorry for your loss.

My Dad died 3 years ago on Dec 8th.  That day, the gang here made me smile quite often because it was our first big snow day of the season and they were joyously happy.

As others have said, take it one day, one step at a time. Please don't hesitate to ask for a hug. And as Katie said, the next year of "first's" without a parent is rough. However, it does get easier.

(((( HUGE HUG ))))

Thank you. Every one sharing stories is comforting.  But that snow on that day was special- a reminder that life goes on and nature brings solace and a quiet joy.  

4 hours ago, tnweathernut said:

So sorry to hear about the loss of your mother!  I lost my mother to stomach cancer when she was 49 and I was 27.  I agree with Mappy, all firsts are the hardest, but hang in there, it does get better.  The pain will always sting, but as the days go by you will be begin to remember the good times and cherish those memories more and more. I know I'm not in your region, but hugs from a fellow weather enthusiast from northeast TN.

Thank you.  So many here have lost parents relatively young.  So sad.  I'm grateful for the support and kind words.  

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

My parents are being obnoxious about me getting married and having kids this trip. I'm not even 30 :axe: 

oh lord. i wish i could help you but i have no idea how to handle that. i was married at 25 and had mini-map at 28. well before any sorts of questions were raised about when those things were happening. 

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Moms: "I don't know why wxwatcher007 and X don't get married already."

Pops: "I don't know either. Son, I'm ready for more grandchildren."

Moms: "Wxwatcher007, you don't want to have life pass you by. Have you talked about how many kids you're going to have with X?"

Wxwatcher007: "Mom. It'll happen when it happens."

:lol: 

Well at least you didn't have a dad that asked if you were gay in your early 20s.  Yup.

My mom did ask if she was going to have grandkids when i was almost 30.  Little did she know that she would have 3 after all was said and done.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived