• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

The pattern now depicted on virtually all of the maps is as bad as I've ever seen it at this time of year. Just terrible. I wish I could change my entries on the seasonal snowfall contests to single digits, 10" at best, for NYC. It really looks terrible and I have difficulty seeing how it changes, it's locked in. I'm looking forward to a wet spring.

WX/PT

You are a fairly well-respected poster around here, but throwing out or lowering your seasonal totals to single digits on December 11 based on the pattern forecast 2+ weeks from now is poppycock!

Sure, it doesn't look great but it will most likely reverse itself. Seems like the norm anymore....2 week period BN then 2 week period AN....wash, rinse, repeat.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

You are a fairly well-respected poster around here, but throwing out or lowering your seasonal totals to single digits on December 11 based on the pattern forecast 2+ weeks from now is poppycock!

Sure, it doesn't look great but it will most likely reverse itself. Seems like the norm anymore....2 week period BN then 2 week period AN....wash, rinse, repeat.

It's not BN or AN, it's the timing and quite a number of things have to change in the Pacific and the Atlantic to change the timing. Cold air will occasionally arrive, but I do not see how it stays locked in for the bulk of the moisture with events. The global pattern just changed about 6-7 weeks ago when we went here from bone dry to wetter. It doesn't change that often but we'll see. Right now, IMO it looks very bad.

WX/PT

It's not BN or AN, it's the timing and quite a number of things have to change in the Pacific and the Atlantic to change the timing. Cold air will occasionally arrive, but I do not see how it stays locked in for the bulk of the moisture with events. The global pattern just changed about 6-7 weeks ago when we went here from bone dry to wetter. It doesn't change that often but we'll see. Right now, IMO it looks very bad.

WX/PT

OK

2 hours ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

The pattern now depicted on virtually all of the maps is as bad as I've ever seen it at this time of year. Just terrible. I wish I could change my entries on the seasonal snowfall contests to single digits, 10" at best, for NYC. It really looks terrible and I have difficulty seeing how it changes, it's locked in. I'm looking forward to a wet spring.

WX/PT

You just made up my mind if I was going to buy new snow boots at Tractor Supply, oh well could be time to pay some for the abundance of good winter patterns in recent years. As long as 80's hair doesn't come back...

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Looks like growing season is going to kick off around the last week of December. Maybe this is the new norm? Seriously tho, I wonder if growing zones will adjust with these new temperature norms?

The hardiness zones have been updated multiple times according to climate trends, most recently in 2015. 

44 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Looks like growing season is going to kick off around the last week of December. Maybe this is the new norm? Seriously tho, I wonder if growing zones will adjust with these new temperature norms?

Most plants aren't gonna grow unless we get extended warmth in the vein of December 2015. Most of the native flora is hardwired to stay asleep until late winter and early spring, which is a good thing since those random shots of arctic air can easily damage new growth.

Hardiness zone ratings have more to do with annual extreme minimum temperatures (which have warmed) than anything else. NYC's in "zone 7b" (5-10F) which is actually a higher rating than parts of the mid/upper South, which get colder during extreme cold events, despite those areas having a warmer climate overall in most cases. LGA is already bordering on "zone 8a" (10-15F), which is generally the point where you begin seeing palm trees.

I wish we lived in a climate where the snowiest months coincided with the darkest months. Sunset times are now slowly getting later again and daylight will have made a decent recovery by the time the heart of winter wx season rolls around. It just feels like the long nights of November and December are largely wasted on mild autumnal weather. 

26 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I wish we lived in a climate where the snowiest months coincided with the darkest months. Sunset times are now slowly getting later again and daylight will have made a decent recovery by the time the heart of winter wx season rolls around. It just feels like the long nights of November and December are largely wasted on mild autumnal weather. 

Sharing the same brain here.  Oh and good luck explaining the sunset times to folks or that the sunrise continues to get later into January before starting to get earlier again even though days get slightly longer.

33 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Agree-especially with DST starting in March now-weird seeing a snow storm with it being light at 7:15pm sometimes!

14 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Sharing the same brain here.  Oh and good luck explaining the sunset times to folks or that the sunrise continues to get later into January before starting to get earlier again even though days get slightly longer.

Lol, Julian tried explaining that to me last year.  

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

I've been trying to explain it to various folks for years and while they say they get it I can see in their body language that they are really saying "WTF" LOL

Exactly how I was, luckily no one could see me.  But yeah, I pretty much understand it now, although I should review it sometime.

Just now, Juliancolton said:

Just chalk it up to timekeeping witchcraft and you'll be good to go :)

:D

53 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I have to agree honestly.  What's the point of freezing with this arctic air if there's no snow?  Cold and dry is uncomfortable IMHO.

I work outside year round and despise arctic outbreaks over brown ground. Record breaking events are cool but unlikely to happen without a decent snow pack 

Hey,having such cold air this early should help to cool the ocean/sound  a little quicker then usual I'd imagine.

Also what's up with tthe weathe channel lately all sudden? instead of weather center live and weather underground it's this weird weather channel new York? but if you go to there's site to stream live, put the TV subscriber you have, it shows weather channel live etc. mean while other states friends say it's normal.. dunno if anyone else noticed this or not..

1 hour ago, wthrmn654 said:

Hey,having such cold air this early should help to cool the ocean/sound  a little quicker then usual I'd imagine.

Also what's up with tthe weathe channel lately all sudden? instead of weather center live and weather underground it's this weird weather channel new York? but if you go to there's site to stream live, put the TV subscriber you have, it shows weather channel live etc. mean while other states friends say it's normal.. dunno if anyone else noticed this or not..

...i noticed it..liked watching mike bettis and crew on weather underground..this NYC stuff in NG..

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived