joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z GFS Fantasy Range, hy brid storm brings feet of rain to SNE

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously everyone realizes this but with the GFS solution it would really all depend on the speed of the TS & the speed of the trough crossing the US. Would they interact in time? has me interested to say the least. Truth is the ingredients/pattern are there for something special, if that actually happens? Probably not. 

27 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Good gollyjunipers..what a terrible post

And you should know...you've posted a billion of them.

And it was Sarcasm BTW.   Certainly not locking in a day 10 GFS Operational run.   

But many more times than not, something saves us up here from getting a good hit from a Tropical Cyclone...that part is true.  It does happen from time to time, but that's the exception rather than the norm.   

Hoping for some significant rains from it however...whatever the final outcome is...we could all use it!! 

29 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Eh, it's more a model discussion thread to me at this point.  Non-specific.

It was more tongue-in-cheek...but people shouldn't be obsessing over a track of a TC at D9 that has probably <5% chance of affecting us in any significant way. The guidance is almost meaningless right now...maybe ensembles are marginally useful right now. TCs are so hard to predict with all the weak steering mechanisms in the summer/early fall.

1 hour ago, klw said:

The whiff.  Storm cancel locked in.

Just to clear, this is an attempt at sarcasm.

While this is still a ways off having a tracking thread is perfectly fine in my book as the storm is named and has shown up on many runs of many models.  Plus what else do we have to track at the moment besides caterpillar hair, Siberian snow expansion, leaf color, PF's preseason sweater purchases, summer temperature anomalies, and rainfall deficits.

i don't see why this particular change between the 06z and 12z runs of the oper. GFS should warrant any more grousing then the differences between the prior series. 

they did EXACTLY THE SAME THING. hit no hit hit no hit... on off...on off.  and that behavior is completely in the expectation curve for modeling performance at this range - in fact, it's better than normal that we have as much consistency as we do. really. 

i think folks are guilty of slipping back into the old under-hat tendency to rely upon later runs as gospel -you're pretty clearly allowing yourself be guided by the fervor/emotion of the moment rather than - well... no sense beating the obvious.  

i'd say, no different than any run that was a direct impactor vs one that is miss, either has about 1% chance of occurring precisely as either has recently been modeled.  zippo difference... 

you guys are like super-sensitive to this stuff like it's a drug and you're at risk of missing out on your next high.  ha! 

56 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This thread should probably be locked until Sunday or Monday. This is worse than discussing a weenie gfs blizzard at D9-10...TCs are harder to forecast than synoptic storms. 

Folks anxious for something...anything...weather wise to happen.

This is snowstorm preseason, have to let everyone warm up.

I can't believe we are talking about deterministic solutions though lol.

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Folks anxious for something...anything...weather wise to happen.

This is snowstorm preseason, have to let everyone warm up.

I can't believe we are talking about deterministic solutions though lol.

Reminds me of November or early December every year when the first threat shows up around 240-264 hours and when it disappears by 180-192 hours, there's definitely some that are legit disappointed who had become emotionally invested in the threat.

I'm cool discussing the possibilities of the storm, but most should remember that OP solutions are basically useless. Even ensembles at this point aren't that good...esp for a TC which they will have lower skill on verses a synoptic storm.

Archived