joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016-2017 Autumn/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't sure about posting this out of fear of ridicule but what the heck.  I had a dream last night about a big snowstorm in the area.  I have dreams about weather every once in a while (not too much and usually not about snow) but when I do, they almost never have a date.  What was notable about this one was that there was a date... sort of.  I don't know exactly when it was but it was January twenty-something.   There was a lot of snow with blizzard like conditions.

Just a silly dream I'm sure, but would be nice to have it come true lol

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Wasn't sure about posting this out of fear of ridicule but what the heck.  I had a dream last night about a big snowstorm in the area.  I have dreams about weather every once in a while (not too much and usually not about snow) but when I do, they almost never have a date.  What was notable about this one was that there was a date... sort of.  I don't know exactly when it was but it was January twenty-something.   There was a lot of snow with blizzard like conditions.

It's official, any thread for a storm in the Jan 20-29 range will be titled "January xx-xx, Hoosier's I have a dream winter storm".

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

It's official, any thread for a storm in the Jan 20-29 range will be titled "January xx-xx, Hoosier's I have a dream winter storm".

Lol. I think that's already taken, but we'll use it anyway. Too bad you didn't dream that it occurs on the 16th as it would be fitting.

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

That's crazy.  I had a dream that all the models were forecasting a March '08-esque scenario for us ...except it was this January something.   I recall my elation viewing the elusive lime green blizzard watches centered right through central Ohio.  It was 48 hrs out and I sat down at my desk to fire up the latest model runs.  To my utter shock each model had suddenly switched the track of the storm drastically west...showing rain from the IN/OH border on east.   

Next thing I know, I was shaken awake by my wife,  "my god honey, you're drenched in sweat, you were punching your pillow, you kept yelling "not fcking again!"   I took a deep breath hugged her tightly and said, "no worries honey, it was only a nightmare".

On 1/6/2017 at 8:11 AM, buckeye said:

That's crazy.  I had a dream that all the models were forecasting a March '08-esque scenario for us ...except it was this January something.   I recall my elation viewing the elusive lime green blizzard watches centered right through central Ohio.  It was 48 hrs out and I sat down at my desk to fire up the latest model runs.  To my utter shock each model had suddenly switched the track of the storm drastically west...showing rain from the IN/OH border on east.   

Next thing I know, I was shaken awake by my wife,  "my god honey, you're drenched in sweat, you were punching your pillow, you kept yelling "not fcking again!"   I took a deep breath hugged her tightly and said, "no worries honey, it was only a nightmare".

lol.

Yeah Hawkeye - it's getting to the point of absurdity.

It is unfathomable to imagine...but through January, this winter will probably be pretty close to the dreadful winters of 2011-12 and 2015-16.  It's hard to imagine how a weak La Nina is just as horrendous as a strong El Nino...but there you have it.  Last year, we at least managed to have 1-2" of crusty snow cover throughout January...which is a lot more than I can say for this winter.  And, of course, last winter had the 14" snowstorm around November 20...although I don't assign it too much weight since it melted a few days later.

We've had < 1" of snow since mid-December, and essentially zero snow cover since 12/26.  And, we'll probably go through the next 2 weeks with zero snow.  This would be fine in November or March, but not during the heart of winter.  Just when the nearby lakes and ponds had frozen, here comes a thaw...like clockwork. 

I will again mention my typical disclaimer:  I consider good/bad winters based on what winter should be (snow cover, consistently cold temps, occasional snows)...as opposed to climo.  Our climo here is dreadful...so there is no point comparing to that, as a pure climo winter is a D- grade.  This winter is a perfect example; if you only consider total snowfall and mean temp, ORD is right around normal.  However, outside of a decent 10 day period in early December, this winter has been incredibly bad.  If that is "climo", I want no part of it.  Another example of our bad climo is that any nice cold winter day - nothing extraordinary (say a high of 15 and low of 0) is balanced by a day with a high of 45 and low of 30...and that's just in January.  In December or February, a 15/0 day is as likely as a 50/35 day.  That is not winter.  This would be fine in November of March...but not DJF.

Another thing - where are the clippers?  They have been absent the past few winters.

I guess it's too much to ask to have wintry weather during winter.  I will again make the point of the "winter gradient" over the Midwest during most years.  To illustrate this point - even though this winter has been abysmal...it has been essentially non-stop wintry conditions once you go north of 44N in Wisconsin...which is really not that far from here.  It's a strange thing when horrible patterns can still produce great wintry conditions north of 44N...yet you essentially need all of the stars to align on a great pattern to get consistent wintry weather between 40N and 44N.  These places aren't that far apart, as the crow flies.  Even worse, it's like playing the lottery to get consistent wintry conditions south of 40N.  Another example - places in ND and MN may touch -30 later this week, as a decent arctic high settles over them...even as it's not a terribly cold airmass at H85.  Chicago has to bend over backwards to get one day during the winter that falls to -15...yet MN and ND can drop to -30 even without the assistance of a deep arctic airmass. At some point, I'll stop whining about this, when I can slow down at work and move to northern WI or the UP - hopefully within 5 years. 

It's simply a winter where there have been pieces, but they refuse to come together.  We've had moisture without cold, cold without moisture, cold without clippers, big energy in the west that's out of sync with northern stream energy, etc.  This week captures the pattern well... today we get a warm, rainy defo zone, then dry cold dives back in later in the week.  We then finally get some energy digging into the sw US, which is what we want in winter, but before it can lift northeast into the midwest the cold vanishes.  At least I'm not bothered by this kind of winter suckage like I used to be.  I know that for every good/awesome winter like '07-'08, you have to put up with crappy ones like the last couple.  Next winter could always be another biggie.  I'm still enjoying following today's rain system, the California storms, etc.  I'm also into gardening now so I get to take care of plants inside and look forward to spring.  It would still be nice to see the pieces align once or twice before winter is over.

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

Yeah Hawkeye - it's getting to the point of absurdity.

It is unfathomable to imagine...but through January, this winter will probably be pretty close to the dreadful winters of 2011-12 and 2015-16.  It's hard to imagine how a weak La Nina is just as horrendous as a strong El Nino...but there you have it.  Last year, we at least managed to have 1-2" of crusty snow cover throughout January...which is a lot more than I can say for this winter.  And, of course, last winter had the 14" snowstorm around November 20...although I don't assign it too much weight since it melted a few days later.

We've had < 1" of snow since mid-December, and essentially zero snow cover since 12/26.  And, we'll probably go through the next 2 weeks with zero snow.  This would be fine in November or March, but not during the heart of winter.  Just when the nearby lakes and ponds had frozen, here comes a thaw...like clockwork. 

I will again mention my typical disclaimer:  I consider good/bad winters based on what winter should be (snow cover, consistently cold temps, occasional snows)...as opposed to climo.  Our climo here is dreadful...so there is no point comparing to that, as a pure climo winter is a D- grade.  This winter is a perfect example; if you only consider total snowfall and mean temp, ORD is right around normal.  However, outside of a decent 10 day period in early December, this winter has been incredibly bad.  If that is "climo", I want no part of it.  Another example of our bad climo is that any nice cold winter day - nothing extraordinary (say a high of 15 and low of 0) is balanced by a day with a high of 45 and low of 30...and that's just in January.  In December or February, a 15/0 day is as likely as a 50/35 day.  That is not winter.  This would be fine in November of March...but not DJF.

Another thing - where are the clippers?  They have been absent the past few winters.

I guess it's too much to ask to have wintry weather during winter.  I will again make the point of the "winter gradient" over the Midwest during most years.  To illustrate this point - even though this winter has been abysmal...it has been essentially non-stop wintry conditions once you go north of 44N in Wisconsin...which is really not that far from here.  It's a strange thing when horrible patterns can still produce great wintry conditions north of 44N...yet you essentially need all of the stars to align on a great pattern to get consistent wintry weather between 40N and 44N.  These places aren't that far apart, as the crow flies.  Even worse, it's like playing the lottery to get consistent wintry conditions south of 40N.  Another example - places in ND and MN may touch -30 later this week, as a decent arctic high settles over them...even as it's not a terribly cold airmass at H85.  Chicago has to bend over backwards to get one day during the winter that falls to -15...yet MN and ND can drop to -30 even without the assistance of a deep arctic airmass. At some point, I'll stop whining about this, when I can slow down at work and move to northern WI or the UP - hopefully within 5 years. 

Never understood that logic about judging winters.  Based on that, somebody in Atlanta or Pensacola could judge "based on what winter should be." But of course that wouldn't make sense given their location.  

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Never understood that logic about judging winters.  Based on that, somebody in Atlanta or Pensacola could judge "based on what winter should be." But of course that wouldn't make sense given their location.  

It is usually a pointless endeavor and most of the time slanted toward recency bias. If Feb and March are huge people tend to forget the early season nonsense. 

45 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I really need to move to the Rockies. The pattern doesn't matter, just go higher. 

If you love snow and all the activities that go along with snow, the Rockies are tough to beat I feel. What I like more then the feet of snow they get every season is the amount of sunshine they get between the storms. Lots of "bluebird" sky days out there. Some people love the UP/lower MI snow belts but way to many gray days for me to live there. To each there own though......

The pattern going forward just looks awful. You know it's bad when you're going to string together 2-3 days in the 50's in the dog days of winter. I'll be heading heading into the latter part of January with under 3" of snowfall on the season.

Seriously I do not want a weak La Niña or strong El Niño for another 5-10 years lol. Moderate enso aalmoat always treats us well. 

LMAO

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

Its hard to fathom that every storm so far, including the ones that will impact the area this week, will be mostly rain for the sub forum. To make it worse, were going to see a warm-up next week, which may bring with it more rain for the area. Its truly astounding, in a good and bad way! Moreover, this month may very well end up being something extraordinary, that despite an active storm track, none of them delivered.

The 3.5" I received today will most likely stay put through atleast Jan 25th based on current projections. 

If it weren't for that 2 week period in December, this would have been one of the worst starts to Winter in a long while, excluding 11-12 that is. 

15 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

This has really turned into one POS January.  Has a solid chance to be the worst one I've ever seen for wintry weather/tracking storm systems.  Guess we traded god-awful Decembers for January. 

Only a third of the way through.  Let's see where things stand at the end.  

Last January was pretty bad.  I think what would make this one tougher to take is that it would sort of be unexpected, or at least more unexpected than last year.

34 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Only a third of the way through.  Let's see where things stand at the end.  

Last January was pretty bad.  I think what would make this one tougher to take is that it would sort of be unexpected, or at least more unexpected than last year.

GFS looks awfully terrible in the extended 

Archived