Newest Member
    Toothache
September Obs/Disco Thread

H2O

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Come on over to the dark side.  Just do like I do and say **** the grass.

I need a few weeks off from mowing 

I rarely water the grass, but this is as extreme conditions as I've had (matching 2010).  

9 hours ago, mappy said:

I feel like NPZ, living in a desert, splashing in my own tears of storm failure

LOL.  That is a beautifully eloquent description.

1 hour ago, Stormpc said:

Ended with .86 for the day. Lucked out considering it missed many. Pulsing, rumbling storms dissipated and flared the whole journey. The luck was getting one to pulse over you. 

Exactly what happened for me at around 10:15 last night. Nice cell popped up about 20 miles or so north of me and pulsed up just in time to drop 0.48" in 15-20 minutes. Decent thunder and lightning, as well.

Ended with 'round about 0.8" for the day (my gauge isn't that specifically detailed), which is the most rain I've had in at least a month.

11 hours ago, Ellinwood said:

Saw a wall cloud today that was over by North Potomac around 6 p.m. Radar showed a little rotation at that time, but it didn't last long. Looked like a couple of other storms had brief supercell or supercell-like appearances. Just needed a bit better shear.

Was that the same cell that came through Laytonsville?  There was a pretty sick wall cloud near Brookeville I saw driving home but couldn't find a place to pull over and get a picture.

15 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Too bad wxmeddler doesn't post/live here anymore.  I'd pay for him to help setup my weather station.

send him a message. he helped via google earth to tell me where to put it. told me how to do it and then i had my husband set it up. i did help with the post hole :)

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Was that the same cell that came through Laytonsville?  There was a pretty sick wall cloud near Brookeville I saw driving home but couldn't find a place to pull over and get a picture.

I mean, the cell was mostly along/just east of I-270, but the circulation and wall cloud was definitely west of I-270. Happened right around 6 p.m.

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Daytime heating + warm air advection + winds switching off the river = 10 degree jump in an hour at DCA

I turned my dryer on and the exterior thermometer near the vent jumped 5 degrees.  Wonder if CWG  thermometer did same

if I positioned a thermometer near my car exhaust then it would in fact correctly measure the temperature it's just that the externals surrounding that thermometer artificially induce measurement thus the measurement is not truly reflecting of the surrounding atmosphere and thus inaccurate

3 minutes ago, Tenman Johnson said:

I turned my dryer on and the exterior thermometer near the vent jumped 5 degrees.  Wonder if CWG  thermometer did same

if I positioned a thermometer near my car exhaust then it would in fact correctly measure the temperature it's just that the externals surrounding that thermometer artificially induce measurement thus the measurement is not truly reflecting of the surrounding atmosphere and thus inaccurate

open your fridge and it'll all even out, brah

IAD blowing away their record high

RECORD EVENT REPORT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC 212 PM EDT THU SEP 8 2016

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE BROKEN AT WASHINGTON DULLES DC... THROUGH 2 PM...THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT HAS REACHED 96 DEGREES. THIS TEMPERATURE BREAKS THE RECORD HIGH FOR SEPTEMBER 8TH...WHICH WAS 93 DEGREES LAST SET IN 2015. THIS STATEMENT WILL BE UPDATED WHEN THE FINAL HIGH TEMPERATURE OF THE DAY IS DETERMINED.

21 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I had forgotten about that.  Hell yeah. I hope they are suffering big time.  We wasted the best month of the year on clouds and rain and they cheered.

Come on hot and dry.

Every soccer game I attended in April/May until it finally shot straight to hot Memorial Day weekend was cold and/or wet. So, yeah, here is the crappy payback for what was a jacked up and hijacked spring...

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived