Newest Member
    Toothache
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Will - do visit Cutler Coast.  I've been there a couple of times, once as an overnighter.  The three official tentsites were taken, so I stealth camped on a cliff right at the ocean edge.  Badass scenery and I saw no other people while there.  Just to the south of Cutler is Western Head, which is used even less than Cutler.  I recommend both very highly.

Awesome. Yeah I love that type of country. I've really wanted to get back into more back country hiking so I always appreciate tips. I used to enjoy stealth camping quite a bit  

I love your pics of the mountain hikes too. I want to do the Old Speckled mountain trail area in the Mahoosacs...maybe Grafton Loop too. I've always liked that area and the human traffic is far less than the Presidentials in NH. 

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

How can anyone not enjoy this weather the past couple days?!  Wow.  I feel like Litchfield Libations but sunny skies with low humidity and temps in the 60s/70s is such fantastic weather.  Just a continuation of the 70s we've seen most of September.  Observations like 70/39 in the valley while its mid-upper 60s at the base of the town playground, and 50s up in the higher elevations, are just about perfect for outdoor recreation.

Get out daily and enjoy it, won't have this nice of weather any other time except for May/June.  I really could go for this weather every day until November 1st haha, then bring the cold.

14482003_10102674880794310_8835127409101

Nice shot!

12 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Will - do visit Cutler Coast.  I've been there a couple of times, once as an overnighter.  The three official tentsites were taken, so I stealth camped on a cliff right at the ocean edge.  Badass scenery and I saw no other people while there.  Just to the south of Cutler is Western Head, which is used even less than Cutler.  I recommend both very highly.

Not the easiest place for bushwhack camping - either on the rocks or in a bog.  Just FYI: Except along the AT corridor (ATC says established sites only , such camping is okay on the 600,000 acres managed by our agency, but one cannot have an open fire when doing it - self-contained camp stoves are fine.

That misery mist can be a good thing.  We were there during management planning on one triple-H (when inland a bit) July day, and when we made it to the cliffs it was upper 60s with an incredibly refreshing breeze coming out of the fog bank a few hundred yards offshore.  As we listed to the Cutler foghorn, one wag said, "Doesn't this make you wish for your cubicle in Augusta?"

15 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Every Monday the landscape guys get rid of the acorns. By Tuesday I'm knee deep again. Between plucking them out of the dogs paw pads or just a straight up pelting it's nuts. Not sure what it means though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Means nothing as last year showed, the gyspys moths took care of my Oaks so very little acorn production for me

2 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I really doubt a single lane strip of muddy dirt has anything to do with it.  I doubt it would matter even if it was brand new asphalt... asphalts heat storage capability is pretty weak.

I wanna know what's happening east of the ASOS between those runways. It went from green to brown...maybe a lot of mud/muck?

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Follow along the tweets 

I don't know shiat about the MSY ASOS, but I agree with Scott. Heck, CON had a gravel pit under their ASOS this summer and although they were 1-2F warm on max temps their mins were fine. The dirt sfc loses heat quickly. That's how we radiationally cool and it always seems like wet snow is first to accumulate on dirt and mulch.

26 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

readthe other article, cool stuff, love ASOS next to jet runways, great way to get a mess 

I don't understand his gripe with Charlotte. All of the good radiators see some big temp spikes. Wind/mixing easily explains his pre-midnight jump in temps only to see it drop back down again when it goes calm. ASOS is very responsive to any slight temperature change. I see the same thing on my wx station with the stronger fan/aspiration. The in-between temp falls are real. I'm sorry Brad if your forecast busted due to one. ;)

Archived