Toothache
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Tahiti > Moorea > Huahine > Bora Bora > Tikehau > Tahiti

Sweet man...that's gonna be awesome. That's such a great area.

Congrats on having your snorkeling ruined until you return to the south pacific or Indian ocean. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, lol.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sweet man...that's gonna be awesome. That's such a great area.

Congrats on having your snorkeling ruined until you return to the south pacific or Indian ocean. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, lol.

Time to get a bigger memory card for the underwater camera. A daily swim could easily be a couple hundred photos if there is anything remotely interesting to look at.

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Loved BHB.  One of my favorite things we did was get on top of Cadillac mtn and watch the sunset with some wine. 

Much better than the sunrise, in my opinion. I mean great I can say I saw one of if not the earliest sunrise in the US, but you have to get up soooo early.

My wife and I one summer day a couple of years ago drove up to Arcadia.  Just looking for something to do.  The drive was 5 1/2 hours from our house, left at 10.  Did the driving tour around Arcadia.  Stopped at all the stops, drove up to the top of Arcadia, watched the sunset.  Drove around Bar Harbor for a bit, then came home.  Got home around 2 or 3.  It's a beautiful park.  Was worth the drive.

50 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Awesome man.  Look at that COC Sky.

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I love the maritime boreal forest on the downeast coastline.

We got up on the east side of Penobscot Mountain, about 700 feet vertical gain. At their most exposed those cliffs are like 850 feet elevation. It is one of the trails that gets closed in the spring for Peregrine falcon nesting. 

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It was much easier doing Haleakala on Maui the first day we got there. With the time difference it felt more like we were getting up at 7 AM not 2.

We did a mini-honeymoon at Bar Harbor the weekend after our wedding. It was during the government shutdown in Oct 2013...so we got free entry too to the park, lol. Only thing was that you couldn't drive your car in, you had to park outside the boundary and walk in. We hiked Cadillac Mtn (not during the predawn hours though).

That area is so nice though...I'm definitely going to try and buy property up there down the road. Not right in BHB...too expensive at least for me. But even further up the coast is gorgeous in Washington county and it is amazingly affordable to buy oceanfront real estate with huge lots. But I can't get enough of that coastal boreal forest and rock ledge views that are a staple of downeast. I'd like to hike the Cutler Coast at some point...I've heard great things. Some of the wildest coastline and the Cutler Coast public land has very low human traffic...a small fraction of what Acadia would get.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

We did a mini-honeymoon at Bar Harbor the weekend after our wedding. It was during the government shutdown in Oct 2013...so we got free entry too to the park, lol. Only thing was that you couldn't drive your car in, you had to park outside the boundary and walk in. We hiked Cadillac Mtn (not during the predawn hours though).

That area is so nice though...I'm definitely going to try and buy property up there down the road. Not right in BHB...too expensive at least for me. But even further up the coast is gorgeous in Washington county and it is amazingly affordable to buy oceanfront real estate with huge lots. But I can't get enough of that coastal boreal forest and rock ledge views that are a staple of downeast. I'd like to hike the Cutler Coast at some point...I've heard great things. Some of the wildest coastline and the Cutler Coast public land has very low human traffic...a small fraction of what Acadia would get.

I mean, unless you're really doing your research, the casual visitor isn't going to venture much farther NE than BHB. 

I would love to do that Route 1 drive someday. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

There was a piece of Acadia on another peninsula to the NE by about 15 miles. We drove there in a heck of a rainstorm in June 2015. It was so hilly, we ended up seeing tons of impromptu mini waterfalls fro the heavy rain. That was freakin' awesome to see. 

Yeah, Schoodic. 

How can anyone not enjoy this weather the past couple days?!  Wow.  I feel like Litchfield Libations but sunny skies with low humidity and temps in the 60s/70s is such fantastic weather.  Just a continuation of the 70s we've seen most of September.  Observations like 70/39 in the valley while its mid-upper 60s at the base of the town playground, and 50s up in the higher elevations, are just about perfect for outdoor recreation.

Get out daily and enjoy it, won't have this nice of weather any other time except for May/June.  I really could go for this weather every day until November 1st haha, then bring the cold.

14482003_10102674880794310_8835127409101

Will - do visit Cutler Coast.  I've been there a couple of times, once as an overnighter.  The three official tentsites were taken, so I stealth camped on a cliff right at the ocean edge.  Badass scenery and I saw no other people while there.  Just to the south of Cutler is Western Head, which is used even less than Cutler.  I recommend both very highly.

FB_IMG_1475019501474_zpslsd6geli.jpg

FB_IMG_1475019408763_zpsuoepwfwr.jpg

FB_IMG_1475019383738_zpsa4f747bl.jpg

48 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Will - do visit Cutler Coast.  I've been there a couple of times, once as an overnighter.  The three official tentsites were taken, so I stealth camped on a cliff right at the ocean edge.  Badass scenery and I saw no other people while there.  Just to the south of Cutler is Western Head, which is used even less than Cutler.  I recommend both very highly.

FB_IMG_1475019501474_zpslsd6geli.jpg

FB_IMG_1475019408763_zpsuoepwfwr.jpg

FB_IMG_1475019383738_zpsa4f747bl.jpg

Yeah, that area is crazy nice.  My wife has the more mobile job possibilities and I told her Mid-Coast Maine and N is the only place I would go outside of WNE. 

Archived