Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

It's the old cost-benefit model in the corporate world. It also comes down to how good mets are. You aren't good to make a good case if your staff is blowing it. 

As you said, the real money is nailing the high impact events. In a world of free weather data....you better be putting out a good product. I take dam good pride in "beating" models. Case in point our mid level magicians events such as recently on 3/21/16 and obviously 2/15/15

so many times we have really all added value here 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

42F, clear and crisp.

How's the weather look for Saturday up that way?  I think my son and I are going to hike Mansfield.  From what I've read, it looks like it will be ok, just cloudy, but I figure you would have a bit more knowledge of the area. 

31 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, not often you get the nice weather moving in from the NE.

yeah my other circle of met friends and i were musing that we may actually clear out from the ne overnight.  wake up this morning to glorious sunshine ... 

hopefully it's no omen to a crushingly suppressive flow structure this winter - heh

16 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

That's the rub. All the focus is on the fact that we're generally not busy on good weather days, but very little focus is on what happens when it's not a nice day. Instead the assumption is we've nailed the forecast already, and we need to focus on our communication with decision makers. Drop the ball in a few events because you dry humped the GFS (which by the way could get political if the national center doesn't use the GFS as much as people think they should for instance), and those decision makers will go elsewhere for forecast information. Then what do we do?

Something does need to change, but I don't think this is the change we need. We could focus on training and model interpretation, but instead we're turning towards automation because the output looks realistic.

That's like a politician seeing on-duty firefighters playing cards, and deciding that's a place to make budget cuts.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

That's like a politician seeing on-duty firefighters playing cards, and deciding that's a place to make budget cuts.

Well they repeated the call today, and it sounded an awful lot like the leaning is towards WPC handling long fused watches/warnings. Nothing is set in stone obviously, but that was a concerning answer to a question about warning responsibility.

21 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

That's not the CT I grew up in.  Our trees were strong and we never whined about acorns.

55*

22 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Gusty winds today knocked this tree down a few houses down from me earlier this AM

7A6514B0-3D34-45ED-BB83-030FD93AF4B8_zps

Weak trees:

http://video.anyclip.com/movies/the-money-pit/weak-trees/

4 hours ago, Dan said:

How's the weather look for Saturday up that way?  I think my son and I are going to hike Mansfield.  From what I've read, it looks like it will be ok, just cloudy, but I figure you would have a bit more knowledge of the area. 

Looking cloudy but not sold on much rain.  Looks spotty at best for showers.  Of course as BTV has said in the AFD, if it's going to precipitate the mountains would be first in line with the weak forcing aloft orographics may help a tad.  

Should be fine for a hike, just bring layers invade you get a brief shower.

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looking cloudy but not sold on much rain.  Looks spotty at best for showers.  Of course as BTV has said in the AFD, if it's going to precipitate the mountains would be first in line with the weak forcing aloft orographics may help a tad.  

Should be fine for a hike, just bring layers invade you get a brief shower.

Thanks.

Archived