Newest Member
    joxey
Hermine

LakeEffectKing

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Morris said:

HWRF finally backed off. Only a TS landfalling.

Every day for the last week, the HWRF has backed off of any significant strengthening for another day.  We now have a pretty good model consensus for TD9 not doing too much for the next day or two, then finally strengthening into a high end tropical storm or possibly low end cat 1 hurricane as it approaches the big bend region.

20 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Keep in mind new moon is Thursday Sept 1st at 09z for possible storm surge enhancement at landfall. 

All things considered, I think the error is likely to be conservative (more development) and a cat-1 hurricane would be my preferred call at this point. I think they will find it's a 45 kt TS already. 

Full and no moon frequently give a boost to low pressures 

Tenman, I believe that's true statistically but the models presumably incorporate those trends within 3-4 days so I don't draw the conclusion necessarily that pressures will deviate from model predictions. (the signal does show up faintly in research) -- I was basing a stronger outcome mainly on the flat steering currents and warm SST field ahead of the storm. I think it will make landfall in NW Florida around the end of Thursday. There could be some minor issues for Tampa Bay as a result, especially if the storm intensifies more and if it happens to make a sharper turn. 

8 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

Yep, center becoming exposed. Had some promise this morning, but it's given it all back.

I wouldn't say given it "all back"....certainly it was better 12 hours ago....but that convective burst near the center, may have kept the surface circulation a bit tighter and circular,  surface structure being already in place is a large positive regarding a quicker deepening of pressure....so if/when the shear abates a bit (which I think it will do over the next 24 hours) this could ramp up in a stout fashion....before the shear and some dry air come back as it approaches FL Panhandle....still think this has a shot at a very minimal cane....

52 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

TD9 is running north. NEXT. 

Maybe the lows are trying to connect. That might give a visual of a north movement (???).

I see nothing from the Hurricane Center to suggest a north movement - or am I missing something (not beyond doing that on a Monday, I assure you!)

Just looking at the vis. loop the LLC seems way north of convection.  Then looking again I noticed another spin in the mid levels way south along the western tip of Cuba.  Wonder is a new center could form well south of where the models have it, down in that southern convection.  That would change the eventual track quite a bit.  Very frustrating system, should just turn the computer off for a day or so.

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just looking at the vis. loop the LLC seems way north of convection.  Then looking again I noticed another spin in the mid levels way south along the western tip of Cuba.  Wonder is a new center could form well south of where the models have it, down in that southern convection.  That would change the eventual track quite a bit.  Very frustrating system, should just turn the computer off for a day or so.

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/loop.asp?data_folder=goes-west_goes-east/goes-14_1_minute_visible_sector_03&width=1020&height=720&number_of_images_to_display=60&loop_speed_ms=80   This loops shows both the features of the naked swirl and the mid level spin you mentioned. 

9 minutes ago, Inudaw said:

This loop tells a different story. Its over unless a new LLC forms further south

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived