joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
disMay Pattern Disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's angry and most likely packing at all times..just be careful.

Like Will said..glad we don't live there.

The Ens offer some hope next week

why would I be angry? Retired at 40 with a 72k a year pension and full health benefits for my family. As far as packing all the time, add that to your endless list of faulty predictions. I drive a charter bus as my retirement job. It is a federal violation to carry. Where I live, a gun is not necessary. Gun stays in my safe until I need to qualify to maintain my Federal carry permit annually . Thanks for playing though....

Could have used this Nor'easter in Jan. Totally sucks in May, another cancelled game, 3 in 2 weeks

We did get it in Jan..it was just 100 miles too far south. :lol:

Anyways...just part of spring. Sometimes we get these hideous cutoffs. Our number came up this year...we had actually been somewhat lucky avoiding the week-long disasters in the past few years unlike the mid 2000s.

Has stayed in the 40's here everyday since Sunday with the warmest being yesterday at 49.3.Today will be day 4 and tomorrow day 5. Friday will be close.

Absolutely unimaginable that something like this could happen.

Super soaker shaping up on radar to the Sw about to ruin the rest of the day

Dont' worry.  I'm sure the faux-drought maps are just a click away.  :)

why would I be angry? Retired at 40 with a 72k a year pension and full health benefits for my family. As far as packing all the time, add that to your endless list of faulty predictions. I drive a charter bus as my retirement job. It is a federal violation to carry. Where I live, a gun is not necessary. Gun stays in my safe until I need to qualify to maintain my Federal carry permit annually . Thanks for playing though....

Well glad to hear you have done so well in life.That's a great feeling.

All we ask on the board is that you become a little more fun and less crotchety. Give it a try

I get you that any weather event including hydroplaining in the rain can cause individual tragedy. But months of excessive HHH cause widespread suffering to people who are forced to work outdoors everyday and poor people who live in city Apartments with a fan and no cross ventilation. Whereas a snowstorm is cleared up after a day and people have the choice of staying off the road during it. As far as severe is concerned, you can want the winds while not openly hoping for trees to come down which will cause lots of property damage and possibly injury.

Wrong thread for this and I know its just a vendetta against DIT but I just think its very hypocritical to say its better to wish for certain weather and not others due to effects on people.

I could take your second sentence and change it to this:

But months of excessive cold cause widespread suffering to people who are forced to work outdoors everyday and poor people who are homeless or living in low cost housing with no real heat or inadequate heating.

There's a reason a lot of homeless try to go south or west, they'd prefer the hot weather to the cold.

Nah not that either. Just 60's and 70''s most of the time from late April on .. With an occasional clunker day in the 40's or 50's , as well as days in the 80's to 90

Where do you live?  Southern New Jersey?

Your average high right now is probably around 62F today based off the ORH records.  That means that it is just as anomalous to have a high of 52F as it is 72F.

Literally your highs that you have had the past 5 days is the same departure as having a high in the mid to upper 70s.  A high of 82F would be the same abnormality as a high of 42F.  A high in the upper 80s is equal to a day of wet snow in the 30s.

We did get it in Jan..it was just 100 miles too far south. :lol:

Anyways...just part of spring. Sometimes we get these hideous cutoffs. Our number came up this year...we had actually been somewhat lucky avoiding the week-long disasters in the past few years unlike the mid 2000s.

haha, and technically ... the low hasn't even cut-off yet -

much to kevin's delusional glory chagrins ... I think if we went back and did a more serious analysis, it's definitely more than 1::10 years... and may be more like 1::4 ... 

Quite the model difference tomorrow. Euro is more of full fledged coastal with ccb and what looks like more of a classic baroclinic low. Most other models seem to follow convection out to sea. Given strength of ULL system, a late season coastal certainly is reasonable. Decent baroclinicty.

additionally .. .last year's and the spring two years ago were both bone jobs too - but those were different. they didn't have cut-offs in this traditional sense of the thing, but were just insanely late N-stream dominant years that drilled unusually cool thicknesses persistently SE through the Lakes and New England... almost to June actually.

so ..this is the third year running of where petty arguments about actual temperatures on the thermometer aside ... we likely go from winter to summer.  I don't care how many 80 F days we've had... I've seen 70 in January - didn't call that spring either.  I can't honestly think back a long the synoptic tapestry of the past and see it as anything other than a winter regime merely super-imposed over taller solar dates.

the rub? this happens on the tail end of a surreal sore-butt winter, too -

tough business to fawn after this affair.

Quite the model difference tomorrow. Euro is more of full fledged coastal with ccb and what looks like more of a classic baroclinic low. Most other models seem to follow convection out to sea. Given strength of ULL system, a late season coastal certainly is reasonable. Decent baroclinicty.

18z GFS actually nodding ... tho a bit off shore, it does have a rapid deepener of things.  falls shy of actually being "deep" but it does implode... I bet that's a isol. wind pulse for the Cape and Isl.

18z GFS actually nodding ... tho a bit off shore, it does have a rapid deepener of things. falls shy of actually being "deep" but it does implode... I bet that's a isol. wind pulse for the Cape and Isl.

Yeah I'm intrigued. Haven't looked deeply at gfs, but I'll take a look now that you said that.

Tomorrow will be the 10th consecutive day with a max temp below normal in NYC. The last time this happened was late Feb to early March 2015.

That is impressive considering you can probably find at least half a dozen periods like that where highs were above normal for ten days since then.

Wrong thread for this and I know its just a vendetta against DIT but I just think its very hypocritical to say its better to wish for certain weather and not others due to effects on people.

But months of excessive cold cause widespread suffering to people who are forced to work outdoors everyday and poor people who are homeless or living in low cost housing with no real heat or inadequate heating.

There's a reason a lot of homeless try to go south or west, they'd prefer the hot weather to the cold.

Not talking about homeless which is a relatively small number. People living in public housing in urban areas in the NE total in six figures or more. These people are supplied with heat in winter by law and most low income families living elsewhere in NY get grant money to offset winter costs. It is excessive ongoing summer heat and humidity that causes problems especially to the elderly and young children. As far as outdoor workers, I bundled up in long johns, battery warming socks, gore-tex stuff etc. While it wasn't pleasant being out 8 or 16 hrs in the Manhattan wind tunnels during winter, it was much more tolerable than standing in a crowd of over a million people crammed all day in 95 degree, windless sunshine, waiting for the July 4th fireworks to start 7 hours later in a navy blue uniform with sweat pouring down your back down to your underwear. Scores of people needing ambulances for dehydration issues. Heat in the city is the real enemy. Nothing wrong with wanting some hot weather in summer, but to want 90/70 every afternoon all summer is to want an awful lot of suffering. If I seem strongly opinionated on the subject, it is only because I have a unique perspective on the situation due to 20 years of experience dealing with people in all walks of life in a manner that only Police and EMS encounter. Sorry....Off the soapbox now.  

Wow it's so quiet in here you can hear a pin drop. Seriously, any thoughts on how west the band of rain pivots off the ocean later this afternoon early this evening and whether the CRV region will remain mainly dry? I tried to look briefly at models before work and it looked like consensus was dry in this region this afternoon.

Wow it's so quiet in here you can hear a pin drop. Seriously, any thoughts on how west the band of rain pivots off the ocean later this afternoon early this evening and whether the CRV region will remain mainly dry? I tried to look briefly at models before work and it looked like consensus was dry in this region this afternoon.

Models shifted most of the rain offshore. Only clipping CC

When we say this is abnormal and doesn't often happen..we mean it. This is as bad as anyone could ever conjure up. And yes now now next week looks ruined aside from 2 nice days Tuesday and Wed

Ralph'sWxEyes 

Coldest start to May for Hartford in 3 decades (since 1986). Bridgeport,CT since 1987. -7.5 below normal at BDL.

ChsRDMxWEAAGsfw.jpg

When we say this is abnormal and doesn't often happen..we mean it. This is as bad as anyone could ever conjure up. And yes now now next week looks ruined aside from 2 nice days Tuesday and Wed

Ralph'sWxEyes 

Coldest start to May for Hartford in 3 decades (since 1986). Bridgeport,CT since 1987. -7.5 below normal at BDL.

ChsRDMxWEAAGsfw.jpg

So, not even top 10?

Archived