joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
disMay Pattern Disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great hiking weather...noticed the picnic tables at 4kft had the same temperature today as ORH. 

Valleys warmed fine up here...BTV hit low 60s, MVL with a high of 58F and MPV with 55F.

Looking out over town...still stick season like November.  The 3,600ft Worcester Range is in the distance on the east side of town.

Would love to drop an Davis in the higher elevation spruce forests...the woods are like a refrigerator, step off the melted ski trails and into the woods and the temp is probably in the 30s over the snowpack.  These spruce woods probably have diurnal ranges of like 15 degrees on the best days, and on days like today probably just vary a couple degrees.

Been a beautiful start to May up in Quebec, lol.

Pretty much climo crappy spring day with the thermal gradient from east to west as opposed to north to south.

Some real cold stuff for the central/southern Appalachians, 41F at Beckley, WV and 30s higher up.

Yeah, and that 2013 storm wasn't a great example either, It was more about storm track than downsloping. It wasn't like the Berks and NW CT got hammered along with ORH, NE CT while the valley was spitting snow, I live at 137 feet and got 8 inches in March 2013 but Becket at 2k in the Berks had like 6 I believe. And than there was 1997, lol. That May 1977 snowstorm map that has been going around on here is painful to look at as well.

Nice easterly inflow deform band getting wrung out over the central hills of CT and MA. Dying as it down slopes valley to west. Mini March 2013 type deal in May

There's no way that's from the hills...I mean there may be the slightest extra mist or fog for the hills seeding the low levels, but they aren't causing those echos that are forming aloft.

That looks like a finger of instability or something. 

Great hiking weather...noticed the picnic tables at 4kft had the same temperature today as ORH. 

Valleys warmed fine up here...BTV hit low 60s, MVL with a high of 58F and MPV with 55F.

attachicon.gif2L8A3884_edited-2.jpg

Looking out over town...still stick season like November.  The 3,600ft Worcester Range is in the distance on the east side of town.

attachicon.gif2L8A3879_edited-2.jpg

Would love to drop an Davis in the higher elevation spruce forests...the woods are like a refrigerator, step off the melted ski trails and into the woods and the temp is probably in the 30s over the snowpack.  These spruce woods probably have diurnal ranges of like 15 degrees on the best days, and on days like today probably just vary a couple degrees.

attachicon.gifMay_5_2016.jpg

Nosedive still looks skiable. Nice pics.

We sun.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

you lucky bastard...this weather is killing me...i try to get in a 5mi walk a day outside because walking on the T-mill is so boring...actually i try to walk until i hit 10000 steps on my fitbit (happens at about 5mi) Wednesday I was determined to walk outside, and I walked 6mi, but it started raining on me at mile 5 :( and yesterday I had to walk on the T-mill :( 

but...if I get out early enough today, I may be able to get in my walk in...i'm jealous of your sun!

you lucky bastard...this weather is killing me...i try to get in a 5mi walk a day outside because walking on the T-mill is so boring...actually i try to walk until i hit 10000 steps on my fitbit (happens at about 5mi) Wednesday I was determined to walk outside, and I walked 6mi, but it started raining on me at mile 5 :( and yesterday I had to walk on the T-mill :(

but...if I get out early enough today, I may be able to get in my walk in...i'm jealous of your sun!

glad we don't live there

VT hits 70 today

Had a light frost this morning on the car..low of 36F at home and 35F at MVL.

SLK with a hard freeze at 28F, but that growing season there starts and ends in July, lol.

Amazing how this time of year it's sitting in the mid-40s but get just an hour or two of clear/calm before sunrise and bam it's down in the frost zone.

Love these days, starts in the 30s and ends 65-70F.

We sun.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

damn Bri' you do! 

...i was surprised, frankly - but... i was sort of throwing hands and rested in the notion there wasn't anything changing before Sunday so;  sometimes, hey, it's nice to walk away and be pleasantly surprised.

here in Ayer we have partial.  but blue slots with intense unabated rays breaking periodically between the altostratus corpuscles.  it's thinning though.   i'm almost wondering if we don't get unstable with that cold pool lurking near-by. 

wow what a different story in the MA.   they are going their asses handed to them rawly down there.   the cut-off witch is weakening though and comes through dunnite as an opening wave.  

it's over folks... the backside of a nightmare ...going forward, the troughs are more progressive and the seasonal abandon of the 0 850 plaguing isotherm is pretty clearly evident in all guidance types.  cold flows are more typically looking.  

i gotta say - this is the latest hardwood green up i have ever seen in my life.  ..interesting sidenote

I liked the Jan blizzard, no complaints

None from me, either, as I loved the pics of the grandkids in SNJ digging snow caves in the plow piles.  (Total whiff at home, however.)

Starting May with 5 cloudy (had about 20 minutes of sun Tuesday) and cool days is a bummer, but I recorded more sunny/mostly sunny days last month than in any other month (not just any April) since moving to the foothills 18 years ago.  Taken in context, this has been a decent, though cool, spring so far.  And I'm seeing shadows outside - at least I think that's what they are.  ;)

None from me, either, as I loved the pics of the grandkids in SNJ digging snow caves in the plow piles.  (Total whiff at home, however.)

Starting May with 5 cloudy (had about 20 minutes of sun Tuesday) and cool days is a bummer, but I recorded more sunny/mostly sunny days last month than in any other month (not just any April) since moving to the foothills 18 years ago.  Taken in context, this has been a decent, though cool, spring so far.  And I'm seeing shadows outside - at least I think that's what they are.  ;)

I was actually surprised last month was as cool as it was. The abundant sunshine really really skewed my perception and made it a pleasant month imo. Might also have to do with being on the shoreline, where we're used to temperatures nose-diving back into the lower 50's in the afternoon in April regardless of how warm the midday make it.

Archived