• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
disMay Pattern Disco

CoastalWx

He doesn't give a crap about people like you that wear a dark uniform with polyester pants and a bulletproof vest that makes you sweaty outside on a 75 degree day. He sits in AC all day and it's all about him. Who else on this board wishes for trees to come down during every potential wind event? One crashes through the neighbors house down the block.... Oh well... great storm.

You didn't have to hold it, but you did, but you did, but you did..and i thank you

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He doesn't give a crap about people like you that wear a dark uniform with polyester pants and a bulletproof vest that makes you sweaty outside on a 75 degree day. He sits in AC all day and it's all about him. Who else on this board wishes for trees to come down during every potential wind event? One crashes through the neighbors house down the block.... Oh well... great storm.

Ehhh we all do it, thats unfair to pin that on anyone.

You probably wish for snowstorms but someone's family is in ruins because they got in a fatal car accident on the Northway.

You wish for severe winter cold, but don't care about the homeless that have to survive it.

Can't be politically correct in every way while wishing for any type of exciting weather.

We all joke with DIT but we are in the same family of weather enthusiasts.

Two coastals this week and then more dismay next week on the euro.

didn't get that vibe from those charts, my self. ...

Tuesday was fantastic, with deep layer light SW through +6 C at 850 (which is a well-mixed direction for us and offers deep adiabats), and so mid 70s, and with RH < 70% in the mean between 700 and 850 mb, and neutral vv ... not sure 86'ing that day is even remotely warranted.  that's a classic May day with leafs bursting under blue skies and cargo shorts weather. 

Also, the next day's diffused warm boundary S of us doesn't have to be a death-sentence on that day - it could also be an interesting overrunning convection signal, but it is not really a cold clammy sort of repeat like this week. the medium is just too warm.  

the key is getting the temperature's NOT below normal...   Brian was right, this was UNseasonably cold this week.  Next week has at least one day above normal (technically, verbatim on Tuesday) than "seasonally cool" if not mild and humid on Wednesday.

that's hardly 'more dismal' but... hey. too each his own - 

didn't get that vibe from those charts, my self. ...

Tuesday was fantastic, with deep layer light SW through +6 C at 850 (which is a well-mixed direction for us and offers deep adiabats), and so mid 70s, and with RH < 70% in the mean between 700 and 850 mb, and neutral vv ... not sure 86'ing that day is even remotely warranted.  that's a classic May day with leafs bursting under blue skies and cargo shorts weather. 

Also, the next day's diffused warm boundary S of us doesn't have to be a death-sentence on that day - it could also be an interesting overrunning convection signal, but it is not really a cold clammy sort of repeat like this week. the medium is just too warm.  

the key is getting the temperature's NOT below normal...   Brian was right, this was UNseasonably cold this week.  Next week has at least one day above normal (technically, verbatim on Tuesday) than "seasonally cool" if not mild and humid on Wednesday.

that's hardly 'more dismal' but... hey. too each his own - 

I don't know if you cans see the srfc charts, but Tuesday had NE winds with a weak wave moving under us. Wednesday was rain in morning with leftover boundary to the south. Thursday rinse and repeat. Now it may not happen like that obviously, but the 00z run I thought was not pretty for 2-3 days. Friday was iffy too.

I don't know if you cans see the srfc charts, but Tuesday had NE winds with a weak wave moving under us. Wednesday was rain in morning with leftover boundary to the south. Thursday rinse and repeat. Now it may not happen like that obviously, but the 00z run I thought was not pretty for 2-3 days. Friday was iffy too.

yeah, no   ...  i just refer to the freebie synoptic charts over at e-wall,... but sometimes will go to ECMWF head-quarters in the winter when the patterns really are worth any effort at all, and poke around a bit.  

i've grown accustomed to using those free charts and have an "interpretation landscape" in mind, that is experience-derived, based upon what they've shown compared to what had verified over the years ... 

so taken fwiw - my 'experience' with that 'sort of look' does not really justify a 'dismal' reality.  buuut, dismal may also be subjective.  

like i said, getting things NOT below average in the sense of UN seasonality is all i'm after.  i was advertising the 2nd week of may to at last sans the 'winter in spring' pattern we've been plagued with, and barring the stupid GEFs debacle that seems to be the course so far.  

not sure tho - even that could end up falling a part and then we slippery slope right back into the nadir if the GEFs have any say in it.  man - they just seem ( :axe: ) parameterized NOT to be summer (frustration) ...like, on purpose of something. haha.   really, it's quite remarkable just how stubbornly how nose-thumbing that particular guidance species is wrt to where we are heading toward mid May vs where are supposed to be heading toward mid Mays.  

anyway, that aside...  the rains you mention on Wednesday; again, i can interpret that as an overrunning convection signal, if that offers any entertainment condolences.  

by the way, i was off on my days before - i saw 144 hour tuesday and stupidly forgot that means 8 pm Monday night, which means of course that appeal of a decent day was more for Monday afternoon - not tuesday.  

Ehhh we all do it, thats unfair to pin that on anyone.

You probably wish for snowstorms but someone's family is in ruins because they got in a fatal car accident on the Northway.

You wish for severe winter cold, but don't care about the homeless that have to survive it.

Can't be politically correct in every way while wishing for any type of exciting weather.

We all joke with DIT but we are in the same family of weather enthusiasts.

I get you that any weather event including hydroplaining in the rain can cause individual tragedy. But months of excessive HHH cause widespread suffering to people who are forced to work outdoors everyday and poor people who live in city Apartments with a fan and no cross ventilation. Whereas a snowstorm is cleared up after a day and people have the choice of staying off the road during it. As far as severe is concerned, you can want the winds while not openly hoping for trees to come down which will cause lots of property damage and possibly injury.

well ... there seems to be a bit of HHH focus going on in here suddenly ... 

for whatever reason that came about aside, you can rest assured, there is/are no triple H looks to anything ..or even hinted in subtle modalities, at this time.  

believe me, i'm the go-to guy for sniffing out heat waves.  i'll let you know ... hahahaha

yeah, no   ...  i just refer to the freebie synoptic charts over at e-wall,... but sometimes will go to ECMWF head-quarters in the winter when the patterns really are worth any effort at all, and poke around a bit.  

i've grown accustomed to using those free charts and have an "interpretation landscape" in mind, that is experience-derived, based upon what they've shown compared to what had verified over the years ... 

so taken fwiw - my 'experience' with that 'sort of look' does not really justify a 'dismal' reality.  buuut, dismal may also be subjective.  

like i said, getting things NOT below average in the sense of UN seasonality is all i'm after.  i was advertising the 2nd week of may to at last sans the 'winter in spring' pattern we've been plagued with, and barring the stupid GEFs debacle that seems to be the course so far.  

not sure tho - even that could end up falling a part and then we slippery slope right back into the nadir if the GEFs have any say in it.  man - they just seem ( :axe: ) parameterized NOT to be summer (frustration) ...like, on purpose of something. haha.   really, it's quite remarkable just how stubbornly how nose-thumbing that particular guidance species is wrt to where we are heading toward mid May vs where are supposed to be heading toward mid Mays.  

anyway, that aside...  the rains you mention on Wednesday; again, i can interpret that as an overrunning convection signal, if that offers any entertainment condolences.  

by the way, i was off on my days before - i saw 144 hour tuesday and stupidly forgot that means 8 pm Monday night, which means of course that appeal of a decent day was more for Monday afternoon - not tuesday.  

Yeah I hear you. I mean the next 1-2 weeks seems to feature a bit of a dropping PNA and ridging over the SE which naturally tries to promote warmth. At the same time, a pesky SE Canadian trough. Maybe we are battle zone with alternating warm/cool? 

Yeah I hear you. I mean the next 1-2 weeks seems to feature a bit of a dropping PNA and ridging over the SE which naturally tries to promote warmth. At the same time, a pesky SE Canadian trough. Maybe we are battle zone with alternating warm/cool? 

right ...  but i gotta think... before June 1 ... any oscillating is going to butt bang warm weather.  it's just the nature of the eastern half of New England beast.  

no sense in redrawing up all the known reasons why there.  it's just that if you drew a mean boundar due east from chicago-detroit-buffalo-albany, the east end of that absolutely will kink and elbow south to NYC as a default position...without exception.  so whatever happens, it's compensating either way for that mean climate position.  

come july, that eastern end kink/elbow finally become more straightened out.  

it's a fun way of saying that it more than just seems to take THAT much more to get us warm sectored around here. so in any oscillatory deal...  inot optimal.  

having said that, i'd take even 'failed' oscillation over this...  come on, 44 F mist?   ooo kay.  ha, may sound pathetic, but at least in failed oscillation, there was a chance at all!  

this here? this is like being in that pit in Silence of The Lambs - ' it puts the lotion on or it gets the hose'

Yea he is

I guess I'm out of the loop then. Anyways...they spend more time in their cars in the A/C and eating doughnuts so I don't have much pity. ;)

Kidding aside.

Looks like I may start the first 5 days of the month with an avg high under 50.0F. I wonder what the return period on that for May is.

I guess I'm out of the loop then. Anyways...they spend more time in their cars in the A/C and eating doughnuts so I don't have much pity. ;)

Kidding aside.

Looks like I may start the first 5 days of the month with an avg high under 50.0F. I wonder what the return period on that for May is.

Has stayed in the 40's here everyday since Sunday with the warmest being yesterday at 49.3.Today will be day 4 and tomorrow day 5. Friday will be close.

Absolutely unimaginable that something like this could happen.

Super soaker shaping up on radar to the Sw about to ruin the rest of the day

Has stayed in the 40's here everyday since Sunday with the warmest being yesterday at 49.3.Today will be day 4 and tomorrow day 5. Friday will be close.

More common to have temps near 50 early May rather 85.  :)

:blink:

dude - we've been opining and commiserating day after day, about year after year after years in the past, where it did exactly this, and specifically using that as a partial guide, why this would also suck beyond the pucker-phuck dreams of a lemon rind 

its a good thing no one "imagined" this could happen :arrowhead:

you just need to admit along with the rest of us that this part of the world is a god-foresaken wasteland in april and ...probably most Mays in general, and stop this yearly assault of lies and rationalizations about the patterns you try to unsuccessfully sell ...year after year after year.

:blink:

dude - we've been opining and commiserating year after year after years in the past where it did exactly this, and specifically using that as a partial guide, why this would suck beyond pucker-phuck of a lemon rind

selective amnesia ftl

A day or 2 sure. But other than 2005.. This does not happen in May for long stretches

A day or 2 sure. But other than 2005.. This does not happen in May for long stretches

yes, it does... about 1 in 5 or even 1 and 4 years features a stolen 10 days.  

ur problem is that you actually start believing your own sale's pitches...

Find me 2 other 5-7 day stretches in any May over the last 20 years that featured rain everyday and temps in the 40's. Don't include 2005. Hell.. Find me one

I said "...Stolen 10 days"

you said 40s... 

aside from the fact, 1 i can't do that from where i am sitting, ...but 2  your challenge, you go find it!  and 3 ...the fact that no low minimum records have been set should provide some clue about the 'rareness' of rectal-plaque weather that doesn't happen to cooperate with Kevin's fantasy about what it "should" be like right now. 

i'm not going to argue that it can't be beautiful weather by 'sane' standards at this time of year. but your whole "should be like" attitude is just ...  ad nauseam off base and flat wrong.

We came really close in May 2006...had 4 straight days not getting over 50F at ORH with all that rain...the 5th day was 55F I think.  

2003 had a stretch in late May where it didn't get over 54F for 5 consecutive days.

Well it certainly shouldn't be like this. And that's "iron clad"

-Cosgrove

i got a sneaking suspicion that most other meteorologists and the statistics they rely upon for the genesis of their cogent expectations, would argue (thus veraciously) that spring in new england comes with standing, built-in caveats.

THAT's iron clad.  period. the caveats are just as "should be" as anyone's dreams that it will be azure blue skies in waft 80 F bliss from April 15 to June 10th...

seriously, really dude ?

We came really close in May 2006...had 4 straight days not getting over 50F at ORH with all that rain...the 5th day was 55F I think.  

2003 had a stretch in late May where it didn't get over 54F for 5 consecutive days.

forget it dude - 

he's twisting things around to make his point.  

5-7 days in 40s vs 5-7 days in the schits.

he's playing verbal games hiding in the wedge between those definitions.  ah ahaha

i got a sneaking suspicion that most other meteorologists and the statistics they rely upon for the genesis of their cogent expectations, would argue (thus veraciously) that spring in new england comes with standing, built-in caveats.

THAT's iron clad. period. the caveats are just as "should be" as anyone's dreams that it will be azure blue skies in waft 80 F bliss from April 15 to June 10th...

seriously, really dude ?

Nah not that either. Just 60's and 70''s most of the time from late April on .. With an occasional clunker day in the 40's or 50's , as well as days in the 80's to 90

kidding aside, Kevin - I think your expectations are unrealistic ...and, either they are by design because you think it's funny to post absurdities, or, you really believe that crap. 

either way, extended periods (spanning 5 to as long as 10 days) do proverbially steal away in spring in New England.

and we have been discussing it since ...february really. 

Archived