joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
disMay Pattern Disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hard to separate real opinions from unrelenting bombardment of trash-talk leveled at Kevin...

but, (imho) I don't think things are AS bad as either those opinions, or the unrelenting bombardment of trash-talk  leveled at Kevin is attempting to paint for this first two weeks of the month. 

things can certainly break that way, ...annnd if we keep hoping, maybe the shear spiritual power of our bastion of odd-ball "anti-nice weather fetishes" that somehow is used to fill the languished snow-cocaine withdrawal ... will somehow conjure that curmudgeonly outlook you so desire - certainly, succeed in bargaining our way thru 'till next November... haha

subtlety being conveniently ignored in the 00z runs in sustaining either the opinions, ... or the unrelenting bombardment of trash-talk leveled at Kevin ... is that although the trough is still present for the D4-10 range, it is also weaker. the surface component of that was never that strong; which is/was completely normal for these eye-popper looking cut-off deals at this time of year. 

not that we'd ever use the 06z run of the oper. GFS for much, but it doesn't even close the low off anymore and reverts back to it's own subtle progressive bias - suspiciously the other way... but, that's not the only run of that model that's done that over the last several cycles, and seeing the Euro in general lower it's panache in lashing affects... it's possible we end up with more of a pancake cumulous party out of all that. 

No way would I plant yet

Depends where you live and what you're planting I guess. It looks pretty safe through next weekend. Then you're flirting with the avg date of last 32s in many places over the next couple of weeks. If you have the means to protect vegetation should a frost/freeze threat present itself it may be OK to risk it...otherwise I'd probably wait a little bit longer too.

I have kale from last winter starting to grow again in my garden. Somehow it survived the winter and that Feb cold snap with limited snow cover.

Depends where you live and what you're planting I guess. It looks pretty safe through next weekend. Then you're flirting with the avg date of last 32s in many places over the next couple of weeks. If you have the means to protect vegetation should a frost/freeze threat present itself it may be OK to risk it...otherwise I'd probably wait a little bit longer too.

I have kale from last winter starting to grow again in my garden. Somehow it survived the winter and that Feb cold snap with limited snow cover.

virtually all leaf vegetables grow best during chilly nights and cool days, with plenty of moisture.

tomatoes dont get planted until after Memorial day and definitely not until after the full moon on the 22nd.

virtually all leaf vegetables grow best during chilly nights and cool days, with plenty of moisture.

I have been a coop garden farmer, and have raised crops. Any plant subjected to frost should never be raised until after the last full moon in May. Time tested. Of course all the cold weather plants are in. My mint is already 10 inches tall.

I have been a coop garden farmer, and have raised crops. Any plant subjected to frost should never be raised until after the last full moon in May. Time tested. Of course all the cold weather plants are in. My mint is already 10 inches tall.

yeah ... some lettuce can even take a light frost...  I've seen it, many times.  just can't freeze.   but 54 by day and 38 by night with plenty of mist and bullet to the brain weather in general is awesome for lettuces.

...makes holistic sense when you think about it ... 'cuz you eat lots of lettuces you'll live a lot longer, and that's how long it apparently takes to navigate one through f^*!ing NE spring ...  so there's that -

Kevin spring for central air. Much more energy efficient, much quieter, and no need for your house to have these abominations hanging in the Windows. Way quieter too. And no need to install and remove year in and year out.

:D

it's like pulling the snow shovel out of the shed in early November, and resting it next to your front door as some sort of totem to appease the snow gods... 

only it backfired on 'im.  instead of invoking heat, it invoked the cooling the A.C. units was supposed to provide artificially. 

:facepalm: ... the risk one takes when they deal in such religions ...

How hard is it to pop them in the windows? I don't get why anyone needs to install them so far in advance.

Not only that but cold air easily seeps through those accordion plastic slats on both sides which will cause his heat to kick on more often. Senseless considering a house that is reasonably insulated can easily retain coolness during the day this time of year with windows closed and nights are still cool regardless.

the 15 minutes of exposure to heat apparently is too much for him to handle

I'd be worried about wasting heat, heck my heat still runs daily and those window AC units are like insulating your house with swiss cheese...air will get through that fairly easily. It's not going to cost much but just when your daughter is freezing while the heat is cranked because her window is open for the AC unit and it's 45F and raining out...

It's not like it's magically going to be 88/70 with no warning. I use the AC maybe 5 days a summer so obviously I think it's a waste of time to do it so early. I'll pop it in the bedroom window the day before a 85-90F day...but up here it's more if we do get a warm humid night that I use it. I'm fine getting through an afternoon, it's the sleeping while you sweat that bothers me.

At least up here the nights are usually 50s even during big heat, but there's always that final night or two of a hot stretch before the cold front where it gets to be too much. The strong southerly flow ahead of a FROPA that won't let the temp drop so it's 70/68 at midnight all the way up here.

My parents and I usually put our ACs in during the last week of May or first week of June. A couple of years ago, I remember my Brooklyn apartment finally got too hot on May 31st, and I ended up installing the window unit in the middle of the night because I couldn't take the sweltering bedroom and sweaty sheets.

Putting an AC in during mid-April at 1000' elevation in northern Connecticut is madness. You're more likely to need the heating this time of year than the AC at that location. Even NYC/Central Park was only 49F this afternoon.

The average high doesn't reach 70F in this area until mid-May. For New England, it's more like the end of May/beginning of June. And 70 degrees isn't exactly AC weather either.

It literally takes 5 minutes to put an AC in lol. First hot day... Put it in.

Not to mention, I think most people on here no when the first real heat wave is coming and can put them in before things get too warm.

Not to mention, I think most people on here no when the first real heat wave is coming and can put them in before things get too warm.

That's the thing. Those who even loosely follow the weather know that you don't need AC generally before June in our climate. Any heat before that is usually quite brief.

Some may struggle with learning climo more than others.

Archived