Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2016 Discussion/Observations

dmillz25

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll probably get to the red moderate coastal flooding level on the higher astro

tide this evening.The people in Long Beach have been complaining about the lack

of doors on the storm drains leading to Reynolds Channel. There is nothing in place

to stop the surge from coming up and flooding the streets. It defeats the purpose

of the bulkheads since the water comes up through the drains into the streets.

USGS.01310740.01.62619..20160430.20160507..0..gif

It's does the same thing at the end of my block in wantagh. The water comes up through the sewers. We aren't talking epic flooding but definitely enough to flood streets

It's does the same thing at the end of my block in wantagh. The water comes up through the sewers. We aren't talking epic flooding but definitely enough to flood streets

The same here in my new area near the Great South Bay in SW Suffolk. Picked a spot that didn't flood in Sandy, but

lower areas down the street had the water coming up through the storm drains and flooding the streets this past winter.

I guess many places don't have the budget to put storm doors on their street drains into the bay.

I never understood that. I mean shouldn't it be pretty important to protect life and property?

Find the money for it.

They worked out a plan for the South Shore to install the tidal check valves and improve the bulkheads.

The most recent article that I could find was discussing potentially beginning the project in 2015. But I haven't

heard much more since then. Didn't realize that the they were already awarded the funding.

Long Beach should be starting with their big beach rebuilding project soon. But I haven't seen yet if any

money has been given to add tidal check valves on the Reynolds Channel side of town.

http://liherald.com/wantagh/stories/Resiliency-projects-should-begin-in-2015,60353

Out of the devastation rose New York Rising and its Community Reconstruction Program. Areas across the state, including the South Shore, were awarded funding by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for various resiliency projects. The Seaford-Wantagh zonereceived $11.2 million. 

Protecting the community as a whole requires several steps. The committee has recommended spending about $2 million of the allocation to inspect more than 140 outfall pipes along the Seaford and Wantagh coastlines, and install tidal check valves where necessary. 

Another $2 million would be spent to inspect bulkheads at street and canal ends on roads maintained by the Town of Hempstead. Bulkheads that are damaged would be repaired, and others would be raised to ensure that water is held back. Materials resistant to wind and erosion would be used. 

Storm water management would be evaluated along Sunrise Highway, Merrick Road and Park Avenue, with improvements made where necessary, including the possible creation of green infrastructure. This would cost about $1.2 million. 

Archived