• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

I'm extremely worried about the Gulf Stream temp anomalies this winter if we don't get a hurricane this summer/fall to offset these temperatures near 38N:70W.  It has been a rather average warmth summer for Cape Cod standards, rather temps have been uniform, like in the low 80s, one day in the 90s but most either 78-82 range.  This should bode well for snow lovers in the winter time if the temp stays between 28-32 on the coastal plain where winter storms will be the norm.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Water temperatures are very warm for this time of the year and if no hurricanes develop and move over them they will still be very warm over the fall months and early winter months were if the dynamics allowed aloft could produce a surface low that deepens to below 965mb, that would be unimaginable.  Imagine the amount of precip and snowfall that could occur from an ocean that is so warm and an atmosphere that is cold.

On August 5, 2016 at 3:13 PM, ORH_wxman said:

You talking about Jan 24, 2015? The storm on Saturday before the blizzard?

I thought Boston did ok in that one...though if you were south of Boston you may have had a lot more slop. I went to a concert that night in Boston and it was snowing pretty hard for a time. I think they picked up 5 inches or so. There was a period of mix around midday before things flipped back to a steady snow for a few hours that evening.

I think we did okay here for that one.

we got a couple inches in the morning, and a few more in the evening. It actually snowed really hard for an hour or two that night as I remember being out to dinner and getting blitzed for a bit.

everyone seems to forget that was really the event that kicked off that epic stretch.

I do my "and we begin" thread at that point that is clearly when we're starting to recover as Will said.  Typically mid September.  

Im encouraged by what I'm seeing in the pacific but we're early so I don't want to jump the gun.  NAO is really important this year.

9 hours ago, Powderboy413 said:

The NAO has been negative since early July... Does anyone think this could be a long term -NAO pattern especially regarding the low solar activity recently.. If this continues I also see a white winter in hands 

The NAO has been negative in the summer recently, but then goes positive in the cold season. Not saying this is going to happen, but something to keep in mind. 

50 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The NAO has been negative in the summer recently, but then goes positive in the cold season. Not saying this is going to happen, but something to keep in mind. 

Yeah I have noticed that too but I feel last summer the NAO was expected to go positive given the mature +QBO. This season I'm intrigued because were in the process of transitioning into a -QBO which should aid in bringing blocking this winter season.

Saying that there is still a lot of time to go so anything is at play!

23 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

James, dont cut corners and just repost ur previous 6 august pre winter thoughts. Tell us what you think this year..... ;)

lol.

No doubt the really warm SSTs will allow for record cold on the beaches and weekly white hurricanes.  Really, really worried about the weekly white hurricane chances. I'd get out now while you can.

4 hours ago, Powderboy413 said:

Yeah I have noticed that too but I feel last summer the NAO was expected to go positive given the mature +QBO. This season I'm intrigued because were in the process of transitioning into a -QBO which should aid in bringing blocking this winter season.

Saying that there is still a lot of time to go so anything is at play!

The QBO was supposed to go negative as per its "usual" cycle, which went haywire in late spring. But now the consensus among the QBO experts is that it is going back to positive again for winter. It's behavior has been unprecedented over the past several months

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

The QBO was supposed to go negative as per its "usual" cycle, which went haywire in late spring. But now the consensus among the QBO experts is that it is going back to positive again for winter. It's behavior has been unprecedented over the past several months

I'll bet the qbo goes negative in the next few months, or at least hope it does. The 50mb qbo is already negative but if it heads in a positive  direction next month I'll be worried

Just not much of a Nina it seems. Pretty good agreement from both stat and dynamical models. 

http://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/climate/forecasts/enso/current/

Also, this would certainly promote MJO movement through WPAC with these SSTs. I wonder how much Nina forcing we'll actually see from the atmosphere. I have to think there will be some Nino hangover.

anomnight.8.15.2016.gif

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just not much of a Nina it seems. Pretty good agreement from both stat and dynamical models. 

http://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/climate/forecasts/enso/current/

Also, this would certainly promote MJO movement through WPAC with these SSTs. I wonder how much Nina forcing we'll actually see from the atmosphere. I have to think there will be some Nino hangover.

anomnight.8.15.2016.gif

Neutral  meh Nina

FB_IMG_1471307113319.jpg

this is how it starts some years... you get these 'shots across the bow' earlier than normal, and it parlays... 

"....THE COLD FRONT SWEEPING THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THE COUNTRY WILL USHER IN MUCH COOLER TEMPERATURES FOR MID/LATE AUGUST. GIVEN EXPECTED HIGHS ONLY IN THE 60S ACROSS THE CENTRAL ROCKIES/NORTHERN PLAINS/UPPER MIDWEST ON SATURDAY...THIS WOULD EQUATE TO 15 TO 20 DEGREES BELOW CLIMATOLOGY...."

no, we're not ending summer here...  just that amid the tumult that is seasonal transition the "character" of how all that may take place ... sometimes these things take on complexion straight out of the gates.  just saying that we could be setting precedence for cool incursions earlier than normal - causalities aside. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nino hangover would be good in a weak la nina. You get something like a '83-'84 or '95-'96 pattern perhaps.

heh, i like that:  'nino hang-over'

...it has merit though, because if the ensuing seasonal forcing is comparatively weak, the atm may have a bit of a 'memory' for the stronger forcing - in theory anywho..

Archived