joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't rat. How can I say that when you had 12 and I had 47. About 12-13 " below normal. Terrible, but not awful. Funny how the April snows took some of the sting away locally

I was 32.1" below normal and the late snows did nothing but piss me off LOL as I was hoping to stay in the single digits for a seasonal total.  If you're gonna crash, crash hard.

The QBO per Sam Lillo's work is doing something very bizarre. We are getting erly anomalies at 50mb from the bottom up and not the usual top down type deal.

Looks like another +QBO in the works is coming up for this winter they are saying. The QBO is doing some real crazy stuff right now as you said

• 2 weeks later...

Models still aren't too bullish right now and actually have backed off a bit from a potent Nina outcome. They might be a underdoing it a bit as far as how fast SSTs will continue to drop, but a strong Nina is getting less support with even a moderate Nina seemingly not a given if you believe the models.  There is still a lot of cold subsurface water.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_update/wkxzteq.shtml

http://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/climate/forecasts/enso/current/

51 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Models still aren't too bullish right now and actually have backed off a bit from a potent Nina outcome. They might be a underdoing it a bit as far as how fast SSTs will continue to drop, but a strong Nina is getting less support with even a moderate Nina seemingly not a given if you believe the models.  There is still a lot of cold subsurface water.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_update/wkxzteq.shtml

http://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/climate/forecasts/enso/current/

The only real precedent for a weak La Nina after a super nino is 1983-1984. Not that we have a big sample size. 1878-1879 was likely a neutral year after a super nino. The rest of the years seem to be pretty potent Ninas (1998-1999, 1973-1974, 1889-1890)

On 8/1/2016 at 4:30 PM, ORH_wxman said:

The only real precedent for a weak La Nina after a super nino is 1983-1984. Not that we have a big sample size. 1878-1879 was likely a neutral year after a super nino. The rest of the years seem to be pretty potent Ninas (1998-1999, 1973-1974, 1889-1890)

this is purely conjecture on my part ... but, even though the statistical numbers and x-y-z observations all factually confirm the 'super nino' event ... it's effect on the atmosphere didn't seem to come with nearly comparable achievement. 

California drought - ... didn't alleviate it nearly as warned.  that's just one smoking gun .. .but, I didn't hear much more than mediocre responses in typical climate-trouble zones across the Globe.  

what i'm getting at (though) has less to do with that observation in its self, but kind of an indirect usage?  like, if the Nino was in fact proven (for whatever physical/planetary reason) to be less equally presented as a climate modulator across the planet (relative to it's own historical numbers), perhaps that should say something about the planet?

i firmly and wholeheartedly believe that all teleconnectors, land air and sea, are only as significant as the gradients they produce.

going back to 101:  it's all about restoring gradients to neutral.  big hot regions next to big cold regions, produce the biggest storm.  everything else is qualification and news reels.  doesn't matter.  everything in nature is about restoration - period.  without gradient, there is no reality if we really want to get down to cosmology. ..heh.   seriously though, it the atmosphere?  that's the whole ball-game.  certainly also in how the land and/or sea teleconnectors effect, as well - 

so what the f is his point?

my point is, if the the physical results of a super nino were only say ...(for the sake of discussion) moderately observed, than the the planet as a whole does not represent enough gradient against the Nino for the Nino to be the bigger player. 

taking this to the logic ends ... it opens a lot of questions in my mind as to whether the statistically derived predictions because of past behavior can be "as" skillfully predictive, if the status of the system being observed is significantly different than those occurrences in the past. 

so after all that ... some residue of reasoning is reserved for the question, is it possible a weaker Nina is more likely post a super Nino that was paltry and less than mechanically strong in the system?  

the other thing that obscures the q+a in the research on that is:  if a strong Nina happens, and it is even LESS observably effecting the system, in purely relative terms, it's like both the Nino and the Nina were relegated as weaker ...if perhaps despite their own history-compared numbers.  

personally i think that as the Earth continues to GW it's self at a bottle rocket rate, the Nina's are more effective than the Ninos ...when thinking about things along the line of a total gradient model. 

lasp.colorado.edu/media/projects/SORCE/meetings/2015/presentations/Session%202/d_Mursula_SORCE_talk_Public.pdf

Well we are still in the declining phase. http://cc.oulu.fi/~kmursula/publications/Maliniemi_etal_JGR_2014.pdf ->

However, the clearest pattern of the temperature anomalies is not found during sunspot maximum or minimum, but during the declining phase, when the temperature pattern closely resembles the pattern found during positive NAO. Moreover, we find the same pattern during the low sunspot activity cycles of 100 years ago, suggesting that the pattern is largely independent of the overall level of solar activity.

So i.m.o. nothing interesting in terms of solar activity coming winter.

On 8/1/2016 at 5:49 PM, CoastalWx said:

There's just so much warm water out there, although a lot of cooler subsurface water. Will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of months. I'm definitely intrigued at what's going on. Hopefully we hang onto the -QBO.

The subsurface isn't as cool as it was a couple of months ago. Similar eroding of the "massive" anomalous subsurface pool happened with the 2014-2015 El Nino bust. I think it's possible that all of the warm water is preventing the La Nina circulation from truly getting going. The trends with the thermocline are certainly not an indicator of a positive La Nina feedback loop.

wkxzteq_anm.gif

heat-last-year.gif

Archived