Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

6 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Like I alluded to in the post below this one, extreme cold leads to is smoking cirrus.  I'm fine with normal + or - 1° or 2°

I did not see where extreme cold was mentioned, I can tell you that two winters ago, I could dispell the myth of it does not snow below zero as it did for one storm up here, Some of our best storms were when we transition out of one air mass into another

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You want below average temps in the means...but it's obviously not the only factor. Recent snowy winters of 2007-2008 and 2012-2013 were not cold in the means but yet they produced a lot of snow. You can withstand some warmer temps as long as the pattern supports marginal cold airmasses during our stormy periods.....i.e. we avoid a lot of cutters. It's pretty hard to get storm systems tracking to our south and southeast for a good chunk of the winter without snowing...even in airmasses that aren't particularly cold.

That said, as snow lovers (and winter sports lovers), you want both....sustained below average temps and an active pattern to build up snowpack. Years like 1970-1971, 2000-2001 (mostly in the interior), and 2010-2011 are kind of the golden standards for that.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

PF and I respectfully disagree, from our vantage point ;)

lol yes, this is no longer a game about "if it's cold it'll snow."

Now if I'm on the southern CT coast, I'm hoping for it to be as cold as humanly possible to make sure lows go out and under me rather than over-top.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

lol yes, this is no longer a game about "if it's cold it'll snow."

Now if I'm on the southern CT coast, I'm hoping for it to be as cold as humanly possible to make sure lows go out and under me rather than over-top.

Give me the cold and I will show you the snow, whether upslope or synoptic. Transient Neg NAO is just as effective in a neg EPO state. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

You want below average temps in the means...but it's obviously not the only factor. Recent snowy winters of 2007-2008 and 2012-2013 were not cold in the means but yet they produced a lot of snow. You can withstand some warmer temps as long as the pattern supports marginal cold airmasses during our stormy periods.....i.e. we avoid a lot of cutters. It's pretty hard to get storm systems tracking to our south and southeast for a good chunk of the winter without snowing...even in airmasses that aren't particularly cold.

That said, as snow lovers (and winter sports lovers), you want both....sustained below average temps and an active pattern to build up snowpack. Years like 1970-1971, 2000-2001 (mostly in the interior), and 2010-2011 are kind of the golden standards for that.

02/03

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

02/03

Yeah that was a pretty good one for sustained snowpack in the interior. Though the CP kind of got the shaft until February, and then they cleaned up for 3-4 weeks. For most of the 2nd half of December and January, there was little to no snow on the ground SE of I-95 in MA/RI and along the S coast of CT...while NW of there was a different world. I remember there was like a 27" snowpack in ORH in mid-January while BOS had a really thin pack with patches of bare ground in a few spots.

42 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Give me the cold and I will show you the snow, whether upslope or synoptic. Transient Neg NAO is just as effective in a neg EPO state. 

Well we've had plenty of cold in recent winters that haven't brought the snow.  I'm not talking like yay we got 2-4" this week as "snow", I'm thinking above normal pace of snowfall.  

I'd rather it be 26F here instead of -10F, I feel like we are more in the game in marginal patterns.  Obviously it has to be below 32F, haha, but the snow has not been coming with arctic cold shots.

Then again above normal snow hasn't come in any pattern for years so who knows haha.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Well we've had plenty of cold in recent winters that haven't brought the snow.  I'm not talking like yay we got 2-4" this week as "snow", I'm thinking above normal pace of snowfall.  

I'd rather it be 26F here instead of -10F, I feel like we are more in the game in marginal patterns.  Obviously it has to be below 32F, haha, but the snow has not been coming with arctic cold shots.

Then again above normal snow hasn't come in any pattern for years so who knows haha.

regression to the mean is a b**ch

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

regression to the mean is a b**ch

Yeah you'll go through some rough patches here in the next few years, but we all get through it.

But still, we don't need a -5 pattern where it's 18F at IJD and 2F up here for it to snow.  Just need like the Pike around the freezing mark and mid-20s for NNE, lol.  That's when we get the best winter juice these days.

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

It's gonna be yuuuuuuuge!

NNE just doesn't win anymore. They don't win on snow. They don't win on snow depth. We're getting killed by SNE on snowstorms.

But don't worry, because soon there's going to be so much snow and so much great skiing...it's going to be unbelievable...it's going to make you so happy...we're going to see snow depths higher than anything you've seen recently. We're going to see snow so high, that you won't be able to see Canada anymore. It's going to be great.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

NNE just doesn't win anymore. They don't win on snow. They don't win on snow depth. We're getting killed by SNE on snowstorms.

But don't worry, because soon there's going to be so much snow and so much great skiing...it's going to be unbelievable...it's going to make you so happy...we're going to see snow depths higher than anything you've seen recently. We're going to see snow so high, that you won't be able to see Canada anymore. It's going to be great.

We are going to build a wall, this one to keep our snow where it belongs. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lol if it isn't PF, MR EAVES, JPIN, and DRYSLUT may just build there own wall at the tri NNE state border

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Lol if it isn't PF, MR REAVES, JPIN, and DRYSLUT may just build there own wall at the tri NNE state border

I'm telling you, their slogan this autumn is "Make Winter Great Again".

Even within the context of the joke, it's kind of funny how it fits the narrative of NNE winters...they've gotten the shaft since 2008-2009...they did well in 2010-2011 but the jackpot zone was further south. So it probably left a little bit of a feeling that potential was lost.

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

How are you going to make sure that happens?

"I've got people.  Smart people.  They know what they are doing.  I can't tell you right now how, but rest assured you'll have more snow than you know what to do with.  It'll be piled high everywhere, like living in a dream.  If you want wet snow, we'll get you wet snow.  Dry powder?  We'll have that too.  It's going to be great.  Just great.  Trust me on this, I know people that make things happen.  These are smart people."

42 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm telling you, their slogan this autumn is "Make Winter Great Again".

Even within the context of the joke, it's kind of funny how it fits the narrative of NNE winters...they've gotten the shaft since 2008-2009...they did well in 2010-2011 but the jackpot zone was further south. So it probably left a little bit of a feeling that potential was lost.

Agree with everything but the 2010-11 sentiment up here is that was an awesome winter.  No lost potential, maybe further NE?  If I think back to my favorite events they are all in that winter.  Thundersnow, record synoptic storm, huge upslope events, etc.

The big SNE storms in January we actually did well on with warning criteria snows (as opposed to recent SNE storms that missed entirely)...and then we had a very underrated Feb/Mar.  

I think Feb 2011 is BTV's snowiest February on record, 120 year period.  That was the last time I saw legit thunder/lightning/snow in one of those dynamic Feb shortwaves that brought only like 6-10" but it fell in like 4-6 hours.  

December 2010 had some huge upslope events, with legit 36" totals in the usual spots (I had 16" in town even which was solid). 

Then after the big February, we had the record breaking March 6-7, 2011 storm that dropped 27" here, and it's BTV's 3rd largest storm on record.  That was also when everyone else was like 50F and pouring rain so it made up for any feeling of missing out in January.  And after that depths were 36-48" for most of this region.  I peaked at 41-42".

We ended up with 160" in town while JSpin and Underhill had 200-220".

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Agree with everything but the 2010-11 sentiment up here is that was an awesome winter.  No lost potential, maybe further NE?

The big SNE storms in January we actually did well on with warning criteria snows (as opposed to recent SNE storms that missed entirely)...and then we had a very underrated Feb/Mar.  

I think Feb 2011 is BTV's snowiest February on record, 120 year period.  That was the last time I saw legit thunder/lightning/snow in one of those dynamic Feb shortwaves that brought only like 6-10" but it fell in like 4-6 hours.  

December 2010 had some huge upslope events, with legit 36" totals in the usual spots (I had 16" in town even which was solid). 

Then after the big February, we had the record breaking March 6-7, 2011 storm that dropped 27" here, and it's BTV's 3rd largest storm on record.  That was also when everyone else was like 50F and pouring rain so it made up for any feeling of missing out in January.  

Maybe it was just January 2011 then that was stuck in my memory...but I def remember some groaning over missing the jackpots for a while there.

But yeah, Feb/Mar was sick there.

Feb/Mar 2014 was pretty good up in NNE too, but that January was pretty brutal with all the cutters and whiffs. When I was up at Sunday River on March 21-23, 2014, the snow was a solid 4 feet deep on the level at low elevation (500-100 feet) and probably 5-6 feet deep at 2k. Some of the best skiing in the past several years was March 2014.

Archived