• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

They can technically happen anywhere semi close to the coast but the topography of New England makes it much easier for them to form because the shape of the ME/MA coastlines. A wind off the cold land in Portsmouth NH can be off the warmer water on the coast of MA....and it helps the coastal plain of Maine goes uninhibited from near Houlton right down to MA.

I kinda figured that was the case. Thank you for explaining

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They can technically happen anywhere semi close to the coast but the topography of New England makes it much easier for them to form because the shape of the ME/MA coastlines. A wind off the cold land in Portsmouth NH can be off the warmer water on the coast of MA....and it helps the coastal plain of Maine goes uninhibited from near Houlton right down to MA.

The biggest difference seems to be that down here they only form with weak systems, usually 998mb or higher while up there it can happen with a 975 low. I've never seen that here. December 2000 was probably the strongest system to produce one. It does seem the last few years they occur more often here and very frequently with redeveloping SWFEs. The December 2013 SWFE was an amazing one, Newark was 21 while JFK was 43 at one point.

There's also an inherent force that points to the ocean too. So with the cold air forced east of the high terrain, the PGF will easily help turn winds north and help lock the CF near the coast. There are certainly many instances with a retreating high and CF moving NW. That's when interior NE MA can get a good dumping. It acts to broaden the heavy snow shield as the CF moves NW. We had that happen here in the long duration snow event in Feb 2015 when the CF took 18hrs to get past my locale. When it did, it collapsed back south again shortly after.

I'm more intrigued at the blocking potential this winter. We have an idea about Nina and can probably rule out something very strong or very weak. However The wild card is blocking. We may have a few things on our side, but we can't ignore the background state over the last few years. Having said that, AK is clearly important as well. We don't want a black eye over Anchorage.

I'm more intrigued at the blocking potential this winter. We have an idea about Nina and can probably rule out something very strong or very weak. However The wild card is blocking. We may have a few things on our side, but we can't ignore the background state over the last few years. Having said that, AK is clearly important as well. We don't want a black eye over Anchorage.

unusually dim solar will help that - 

Steve's apparent going quite cold and snowy.

I'm not as sure as total ratterville given the fact that Nina probably won't be uber strong but let's see ssta in 2 months.

If we get a decent winter I think thanksgiving to mlk is the bulk.

It wouldn't be winter if he didnt

Hopefully it's early.Tired of the quick 3-6 weeks of winter on the backend under warming suns

Steve's apparent going quite cold and snowy.

I'm not as sure as total ratterville given the fact that Nina probably won't be uber strong but let's see ssta in 2 months.

If we get a decent winter I think thanksgiving to mlk is the bulk.

First guess is that it won't rat, but I don't think there will be any KUs, either...

Archived