joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 discussion/obs

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a gust as strong as anything before. The sunshine will mix down strong winds again

the first interesting solar event in quite awhile, just happens to be occurring around the same time. 

# FAST WARNING 'PRESTO' MESSAGE from the SIDC (RWC-Belgium) #

#--------------------------------------------------------------------#

An episode of moderate geomagnetic storming was observed in the Kp index during the 21-24UT interval on 2 April. K Dourbes was at active to minor storming (15-18UT interval). This geomagnetic storming was the result of the co-rotating interaction region and the associated wind stream from a small negative coronal hole.

Solar wind speeds continued to gradually increase from about 330 km/s at 08:00UT to about 530 km/s around 21:30UT. A sharp decrease in wind density from 40 to 7 particles per cm3 occurred at 14:05UT, coinciding with a final shift in the direction of the interplanetary magnetic field from away to towards the Sun. It was followed about an hour later by a strong dive of Bz towards negative values around -14 nT, with sustained but gradually weakening negative values over the subsequent 7 hours.

Currently, wind speed is just above 400 km/s and Bz varying between -5 and +5 nT. Mostly unsettled to active geomagnetic conditions are expected for the rest of the day, a minor storming episode not excluded.

When I woke up there was nothing on the street, 2 1/2" on grass and makeshift snowboard and over 4" on the cars.  Then the sun came out and a bunch of snow disappeared in a hurry from branches and such then about 15 minutes ago it started dumping again and the wind kicked up.  We've put down another half inch at least and it's still coming down hard.

The highest it went last night was KP 5-6. That happens on average once a month. KP 8 for example happens once or twice a year.

I know, but funny it occurs around the same time.  Strong correlation between solar activity and increased earthquake activity...(magnetic) and what do u know, a 7 mag quake just occurred near Vanuatu.

peak winds could still be reached...even in a few hours from now in spots.  

Gusts just within the last half hour in parts SW of here  :

Wilmington, DE :  52 mph

Reading, PA airport : 48 mph

Lancaster, PA : 47 mph

the big story with this one seems to be outages galore. 

probably why not a ton are able to post / view .  Image doesn't even include PSEG outages ...or the actual number of people affected....just the number of outages.

JEkKlq.jpg

Only 11k outages on the island, which is nothing for a hyped up wind event.

If not for the snow IMBY, this event would have been a bust. Sure it has been windy, but not more than we have seen this past winter between the blizzard, and the past few weeks.

A few shots from this morning's 2.9" of snow in central Dutchess...

Nice shots. If not for the middle pic with the budding flowers those would pass for mid January. I was hopping for an early start to the garden season but thats all on hold and I'm actually wondering if I need to cover up my Hyacinths over the next couple nights.

Nice shots. If not for the middle pic with the budding flowers those would pass for mid January. I was hopping for an early start to the garden season but thats all on hold and I'm actually wondering if I need to cover up my Hyacinths over the next couple nights.

If we get in to the mid 20s most perennials will die back. I laugh at the landscape guys that have already done full installations. They use perennials that come up from farms down south or are forced in hot houses. There's going to be allot of unhappy clients when all their beautiful perennials go poof!!! I have actually told a couple potential clients we need to hold off at least another week for installations

If we get in to the mid 20s most perennials will die back. I laugh at the landscape guys that have already done full installations. They use perennials that come up from farms down south or are forced in hot houses. There's going to be allot of unhappy clients when all their beautiful perennials go poof!!! I have actually told a couple potential clients we need to hold off at least another week for installations

Well you are the resident expert. Let me know if I should throw a plastic sheet over them. I know hyacinth are usually pretty tough.

This may be the first time during early April that temps dropped into the 20's after reaching 79 in NYC a few days earlier. Looks like a nice cold air drain right down the Hudson Valley Tuesday morning.

Archived