joxey
Spring Banter

Rjay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I am talking about

Lets hope things heat up

Really quiet pattern following the blizzard, UKMET snowstorm, and February severe.

This has been our driest stretch since late 2001 and early 2002. That Kara block

building over to the pole along with the -EPO saved this winter. Wouldn't even

want to think about if that block hadn't materialized after the record warm fall into December.

We would have easily beat 01-02 for the warmest winter with very little snow.

enough dude.. You will have all next winter to make sure I feel even worse. Let me enjoy the heat with out the goof squad getting wet/hard over snow and ice please.

Goof squad? It just so happens there are more winter enthusiasts on this board than not. You can have your heat and humidity. I personally can do without it. While most of us will be at the pools and beaches this summer; oh I'll be one of them, I'll also be pondering what next winter will bring.

enough dude.. You will have all next winter to make sure I feel even worse. Let me enjoy the heat with out the goof squad getting wet/hard over snow and ice please.

Yeah i know. I cant imagine how annoying it is to enjoy a certain kind of weather and have to read complaints about it here....oh wait.

Goof squad? It just so happens there are more winter enthusiasts on this board than not. You can have your heat and humidity. I personally can do without it. While most of us will be at the pools and beaches this summer; oh I'll be one of them, I'll also be pondering what next winter will bring.

Yes, but there are a lot of heat and summer enthusiasts and constantly whining about the heat is the same thing as the summer guys whining about snow and cold.

Let them enjoy it.

Yes heat lovers can enjoy the season that kills the most people and causes skin cancer. Just wait until the 75F dews and try to not have a heat stroke.

Well in that case snow lovers love weather that gives people heartattacks and collapse and end up frozen to death in the snow.

Really quiet pattern following the blizzard, UKMET snowstorm, and February severe.

This has been our driest stretch since late 2001 and early 2002. That Kara block

building over to the pole along with the -EPO saved this winter. Wouldn't even

want to think about if that block hadn't materialized after the record warm fall into December.

We would have easily beat 01-02 for the warmest winter with very little snow.

Thank god for the blizzard. This could have been the worst winter since 2001-2002. What a weird winter this was. Record snow and record cold temps in between of record warm months.

How about the people complaining about the winter during the winter???

The beauty of meteorology

Yes heat lovers can enjoy the season that kills the most people and causes skin cancer. Just wait until the 75F dews and try to not have a heat stroke.

Cold can also kill peolpe

This argument falls flat, I think. Heat alone kills twice as many people annually as cold exposure and winter precipitation threats combined.

hazstat-chart15-lg.gif

In 2015 more people died of cold than heat, it's a moot point though as both can be deadly and you're hoping it happens. I personally don't get the problem of rooting for weather of any extreme, we're not exactly in charge of the weather anyways. My wettest dream is for a category five hurricane to hit Manhattan at high tide, not because I'm a monster, but an extreme weather enthusiast.

Heat related deaths are a factor for the elderly and people who have compromised immune systems or other pre-existing health conditions. An otherwise healthy person can tolerate heat far better than they can the cold. The human body's method of regulating temperature is more effective when it comes to coping with heat than it is with coping with cold. Perspiration is a biological response that actually works in cooling one off. But, your body can't do anything other than shiver when it comes to regulating its temperature in lieu of extreme cold. It's not like you sweat out a winter coat when the wind chill is below zero. Our bodies are biologically built to tolerate heat better than cold.

Heat related deaths are a factor for the elderly and people who have compromised immune systems or other pre-existing health conditions. An otherwise healthy person can tolerate heat far better than they can the cold. The human body's method of regulating temperature is more effective when it comes to coping with heat than it is with coping with cold. Perspiration is a biological response that actually works in cooling one off. But, your body can't do anything other than shiver when it comes to regulating its temperature in lieu of extreme cold. It's not like you sweat out a winter coat when the wind chill is below zero. Our bodies are biologically built to tolerate heat better than cold.

True, however outdoor activities in excessive heat causes far more issues than in cold weather. If you're wearing layers and protected from the elements and moving about you're fine unless you start getting into dangerous below zero territory. On very hot, humid days with poor air quality it can take little for a relatively healthy person to start getting heat related sickness 

All things considered, it's usually not the heat that causes death but over exertion in the heat (or as mentioned, other contributing health factors). In extreme cold, you are a sitting goose in a sea of hypothermia unless you are bundled up in layers. When it comes to extreme heat in our area, relief in an airconditioned building is more accessible than being out and disoriented in the middle of a frigid night (when the cold is usually most fatal) and far less people out and about to assist you. Heat is at its most dangerous during the day when you are more likely to have assistance. A homeless person having heat stroke on the sidewalk on a July day is more visible than a homeless person experiencing hypothermia on the sidewalk on a January night. Anyway, if one really wants to wager what is more fatal, then they have to consider the where's and why's (and those are usually the more fatal components of temperature related deaths). Obviously being in a vehicle changes the contributing factors and risks.

Archived