• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine - 3rd times a charm

Baroclinic Zone

Have you guys missed the developing blocking up north?

You gotta get the IMBY syndrome out of your head if you want to analyze the pattern. That system on 2/29-3/1 ends up too far NW. That's the way it goes with a +NAO. That was said only like 1452 times hen talking about the pattern.

You cannot predict the nuances in the shortwaves at lead times of 10 days. If the shortwave for 2/29 was weaker or the PV lobe up north didn't rotate west and phase with it, then you'd be looking at a snow event.

If you take "chances for snow events" as equivalent for "guaranteed snow events", then that is on you. We had a chance this week and missed and next Tuesday is probably also a miss. The blocking increases even more beyond that so we'll keep taking our hacks.

I'm sure this season will feature "chances" right into latter April.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol of course it is...its 10 days out!! We've seen that look many times all winter, it just never gets much closer-let alone ever verifys.

I'd stop holding your breath and just check in every few days, but I'm betting this season disappoints until the end.

I know Will is going to throttle me, but I'm not talking synoptically when I say this absolutely wreaks of 2010.

Pattern is serviceable, yet DONE.

I'd stop holding your breath and just check in every few days, but I'm betting this season disappoints until the end.

I know Will is going to throttle me, but I'm not talking synoptically when I say this absolutely wreaks of 2010.

Pattern is serviceable, yet DONE.

Oh for sure. I let the breath out over the weekend, and I've been just popping in sporadically to see if there is anything of interest popping up.

Yes the theme for the season seems to be disappointment. I've accepted it...and it's all good now.

Oh for sure. I let the breath out over the weekend, and I've been just popping in sporadically to see if there is anything of interest popping up.

Yes the theme for the season seems to be disappointment. I've accepted it...and it's all good now.

I never mentioned this current garbage on the blog and now you see why.

More fraud, voo doo threats.

You will suffer like the rest of us this go around.

Worst, most frustrating winter of my life....hands down, period.

Move over 2010, step aside 2012.

There is a new shed in town.

More good news after this system:

"Active weather continues as we end the weekend and move into the start of next week as low pressure developing over the northern plains Sunday tracks through the Great Lakes Sunday night and through the north country Monday. Current forecast low track which I took as a blend of the European model (ecmwf) and GFS supports a possible brief wintry mix Sunday night, followed by mainly rain/snow for Monday and ending as snow again Monday night. Feel there is a lot of uncertainty though with the track at this time which will largely hinge on the upper level energy which doesn't come onto the Pacific coast until Saturday morning, and also a large high pressure area anchored over the southeast Continental U.S.. if we take the general pattern over the past 2 months and apply it forward, it is well within reason to believe the upper trough will be deeper and the southeast high will be stronger and displaced a little northward which would send the low track west of the btv cwa, and support more mix and then more rain and warmer temperatures. Jury is still out at this time so stay tuned."

The wave overrunning that 1040mb high was pretty interesting.

Yeah that would be an interesting setup.  As far as my location goes this season has taken the turn towards spring.  Unless the pattern drastically improves with some real blocking my chances are waning.  I do feel that C/NNE will have plenty more chances to come as we move into March.  Won't save what's been a horrendous season for winter enthusiasts and businesses but will hopefully brighten those downtrodden spirits.

It was astonishing to, within a couple days, see a change from talk of polar vortex and arctic blast early next week, to modeled temps 50+ for that same timeframe.  From 20F BN to 20F AN in the course of a handful of runs.  The winter that keeps on giving.

well if it's not going to snow, I'll take 50-60 degrees...there's not even parking lot piles left here anymore-nothing to save so let it torch!

Archived