• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine - 3rd times a charm

Baroclinic Zone

It's true, hard to snow when it doesn't precipitate.

But we are below normal in precipitation this winter I believe but I'll have to run the numbers.

Cold usually at least means NW flow and some upslope for you. I can probably count on both of my thumbs the number of times I've read "Froude number" this season.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't say that. I said you need both. To clarify - at the same time

Wasn't implying you said it, just that those are the two theories on here (you said the first one, give me QPF and take chances) a lot.

Of course you need both, lol. That's like saying it usually gets warmer as you go deeper into spring.

Wasn't implying you said it, just that those are the two theories on here (you said the first one, give me QPF and take chances) a lot.

Of course you need both, lol. That's like saying it usually gets warmer as you go deeper into spring.

I posted my thoughts on that in the pattern thread, page 1.

Cold usually at least means NW flow and some upslope for you. I can probably count on both of my thumbs the number of times I've read "Froude number" this season.

It has to be below freezing, that's the only cold we need, haha. We haven't had much upslope luck since 2011-2012 ironically...in terms of a winter with several quality events. And that wasn't a cold winter. I had at least three warning criteria upslope events that winter (explains how we got 90" and BTV got 30").

But yes when it's cold we can get 1-3" like last year all the time.

We've also had it be near or below zero at least 3 times and then rain with 36 hours, so "bring the cold first and then take your chances" doesn't seem to have worked much better lol.

I'll still take the QPF anytime. That's paying off big-time about 100 miles north of here this winter.

Oh def...esp where you are. You can be getting crushed with temps in the mid 20s and that's above average there. :lol:

At any rate...more chances on the Euro ensembles!!! I'm sure that will get a lot of black and white analysis from the usual suspects here.

2012 had lows in good spots with warmer air that was plenty cold for snow, but held more moisture too. I'm sure hat helped with upslope.

I'm always trying to figure out the best upslope pattern...there is definitely a specific synoptic pattern that makes those events more frequent in some years than others, and not just cold patterns. Whatever pattern allows for Atlantic Maritime moisture to wrap back into here. Usually the very cold air masses give the light 1-3" events, but the best are just like -10C at H85 with maritime moisture.

The -20C at 850mb upslope is very limited due to the lack of PWATS usually. So like last year you get the 1-3" and that's about all you can squeeze...and if it's air coming from the Canadian prairies or something that's not moist air to begin with.

Either way, it is interesting how certain winters are predisposed to being upslope favorable over other winters in the aggregate.

the one thing that is maddening to me is all the talk about blocking forecast to develop but now that seems less likely and models are showing all these cutters...so maybe something happens but the clock is rapidly ticking for the hartford springfield area post march 5th

I did really think there was a solid change afoot for the first couple weeks of March and was somewhat hopeful....I am trying but do not seem much to be hopeful for going forward right now

there was a lot of talk a few days back about an arctic shot for this weekend and that looks hideously mild now for at least a couple days...i think the models really suck this season outside of a general idea of a pattern and the euro is really underestimating the war on some of the longer range and mid range guidance

Why isn't the -EPO working for us this year, compared the The 2 previous years? Is the Southern Jet stronger causing storms to be more amped?

PV has been pretty far north. Every time a disturbance moves south from western Canada, the cold lifts out and we get a cutter. Previous EPOs have had more of a srn location of the PV which helped prevent cutters.

the one thing that is maddening to me is all the talk about blocking forecast to develop but now that seems less likely and models are showing all these cutters...so maybe something happens but the clock is rapidly ticking for the hartford springfield area post march 5th

I did really think there was a solid change afoot for the first couple weeks of March and was somewhat hopeful....I am trying but do not seem much to be hopeful for going forward right now

There is still blocking in NW Canada. That hasn't changed.

Why isn't the -EPO working for us this year, compared the The 2 previous years? Is the Southern Jet stronger causing storms to be more amped?

well for starters ... it hasn't been that terribly negative - not nearly like last year and previous, when it sustained - 2 to - 4 SD at almost all times. 

Nothing like that has occurred this year.  Not even crose said the China man - 

In fact ... just the eye-ball of the bar graph provided by CDC argues it has been positive more than negative.  

Archived