Newest Member
    amirah5
Model Mezzanine - 3rd times a charm

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its decision time for Mother Nature.

We are rolling with 1982-83 and '56-57 right now in the basement of winters.

Time to decide where we go from here...do we go '82-83 this spring or does this winter "bet the streak" and just crap out like '56-'57. But even 56-57 had a 15-inch event in early March, so have to assume we get a decent storm at some point here.

decision_time.png

Wow that must have been one hell of a blizzard in April 83!! Do you have any info on that?

I do not like seeing storms close to the coast in the long range. The WAR has been under forecast all winter. I would think it has to do with above normal water temps

Wow that must have been one hell of a blizzard in April 83!! Do you have any info on that?

I do not like seeing storms close to the coast in the long range. The WAR has been under forecast all winter. I would think it has to do with above normal water temps

I'll have to check later. There were some big systems that spring.

I'll have to check later. There were some big systems that spring.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-35E39CCF-6605-4EFD-8A95-ECF61BE900DC.pdf

Don't know about Mansfield, but in Ft. Kent I measured 18"+ total from storms on March 28-29, April 4, and April 11, at my 540' elev. home.  In the woods NW of Allagash Village, those 3 events dumped 30-40" at 1000-1500' elev.   (Then mid April had a week with about 6" of warm rain, though on roads and bridges.)

Love that gfs at about hr 252 - promising a two-footer instead of the usual (failed) one-footer.  Congrats CLE is probably more likely this year.

It's not that rare. FZRA intensity is based on liquid equivalent rates...not ice accretion. IOW it's the same as regular rain.

+DZ/+FZDZ is different. Drizzle intensity is based on visibility like snow. So you would need a vis of <= 1/4SM to have +FZDZ.

oh you can get fantastic fall rates below freezing...  i can recall a couple of times in the plains there was lightning flashes/thunder every couple of minutes at 27 F with heavy rain coming down at a 45 deg angle pointed S.   

Archived