wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Model Mezzanine - 3rd times a charm

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allsnow is a known troll. He probably makes 80-90% of his posts in here when New England is facing snowless prospects. (I'm actually not sure why we still allow his act)

We welcome anyone from outside the region who wants to contribute in good faith. Doesn't have to mean you post only positive snow thoughts...but post genuinely.

Forky's twin?

I think I'll take the under on the Ukie/Nam/Rgem. Last week we had much more cold air to overrun and couldn't manage more than 1-2 inches in SNE.

I'll take under an inch with a 4-8 hour period of icing depending upon locale.

I'm still waiting on the 4-6" it had me getting last night from Friday nights model runs.

12z NAM is already backing off anyway...it is shunting that batch east a bit and weakening it before it reaches most of SNE save the south coast.

I wouldn't expect more than an inch or two on the front. The more impactful aspect of the system could be some prolonged light glazing over the interior.

12z NAM is already backing off anyway...it is shunting that batch east a bit and weakening it before it reaches most of SNE save the south coast.

I wouldn't expect more than an inch or two on the front. The more impactful aspect of the system could be some prolonged light glazing over the interior.

So you're saying this won't verify...  :popcorn:

post-238-0-84542600-1456152226_thumb.png

Yes, Cape Cod is a much snowier location.

:lmao:  :axe:

Expect 1-2" SN/IP at best for the foothills, then a few hours of ZR, followed by CAD-destroying torch-deluge.  GYX morning AFD whispered 1-3" RA and possible flood/jam warnings.  At least the Augusta jam has cleared, though there's one on the Sandy at Center Bridge in Farmington.

how many times has any location ever seen Heavy freezing rain?

It's not that rare. FZRA intensity is based on liquid equivalent rates...not ice accretion. IOW it's the same as regular rain.

+DZ/+FZDZ is different. Drizzle intensity is based on visibility like snow. So you would need a vis of <= 1/4SM to have +FZDZ.

NAM has heavy freezing rain at BDL at 8pm Wednesday. That's a nasty look.

It's not that rare. FZRA intensity is based on liquid equivalent rates...not ice accretion. IOW it's the same as regular rain.

+DZ/+FZDZ is different. Drizzle intensity is based on visibility like snow. So you would need a vis of <= 1/4SM to have +FZDZ.

Jan 1994 was insane

So do we have a possible branch breaking ice storm on our hands? $$$$$  :whistle:  :thumbsup:

So do we have a possible branch breaking ice storm on our hands? $$$$$  :whistle:  :thumbsup:

No, the high is not in a good spot to replenish low DP polar air...but there is definitely a big CAD signal, so the glazing could last a while before finally flipping. But the heaviest looks to occur after we've latent-heated our way to 32.1F...and then we warm sector shortly after.

Yeah if you're getting 0.20" an hour of rain and it's 31F it's +FZRA. That said, you may only get a fraction of that to actually ice up.

No, the high is not in a good spot to replenish low DP polar air...but there is definitely a big CAD signal, so the glazing could last a while before finally flipping. But the heaviest looks to occur after we've latent-heated our way to 32.1F...and then we warm sector shortly after.

Yeah a bit of CAD and some in-situ CAD should be enough for the valleys. 

Archived