joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HRRR is still not initializing with the current snowfall in western nc as well.. Good signs for snowlovers

That looks very plausible. Those stringy banding signatures of sleet/zr over southern NC are pretty classic for isentropic/CAD situations. Slight forcing aloft/southerly flow will spark light snow/sleet/zr. I can see this basically being a scattered shower type event all day tomorrow with .2 to .4 totals. Just a nice icy mess. Roads will be rough early tomorrow. If the NAM/GFS are right and some locales don't go above freezing till early Tuesday morning, could be slightly more interesting.

WWUS82 KGSP 142127

SPSGSP

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

427 PM EST SUN FEB 14 2016

NCZ033-035>037-049-050-056-057-501>506-150400-

AVERY-ALEXANDER-IREDELL-DAVIE-YANCEY-MITCHELL-CATAWBA-ROWAN-

CALDWELL MOUNTAINS-GREATER CALDWELL-BURKE MOUNTAINS-GREATER BURKE-

MCDOWELL MOUNTAINS-EASTERN MCDOWELL-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...INGALLS...BANNER ELK...NEWLAND...

BETHLEHEM...ELLENDALE...MILLERSVILLE...TAYLORSVILLE...HIDDENITE...

STONY POINT...STATESVILLE...MOORESVILLE...FARMINGTON...

FORK CHURCH...MOCKSVILLE...ADVANCE...SWISS...BURNSVILLE...CELO...

MICAVILLE...RAMSEYTOWN...BUSICK...MOUNT MITCHELL STATE PARK...

SPRUCE PINE...POPLAR...HICKORY...NEWTON...ST. STEPHENS...

SALISBURY...PATTERSON...KINGS CREEK...LENOIR...SAWMILLS...

GRANITE FALLS...JONAS RIDGE...MORGANTON...PLEASANT GROVE...

VALDESE...ASHFORD...SUGAR HILL...WOODLAWN...OLD FORT...MARION...

NEBO...DYSARTSVILLE...FERO...GLENWOOD

427 PM EST SUN FEB 14 2016

...DANGEROUS ROAD CONDITIONS POSSIBLE THIS EVENING ACROSS PORTIONS

OF WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

LIGHT SNOW IS BEGINNING TO FALL ACROSS PORTIONS OF WESTERN NORTH

CAROLINA. SURFACE TEMPERATURES ARE IN THE MID 20S AT BEST AND IN

SOME CASES ONLY IN THE TEENS ACROSS THESE AREAS. IT DOES NOT TAKE

MUCH SNOW...OFTEN LESS THAN AN INCH...TO CAUSE SIGNIFICANT TRAVEL

PROBLEMS ON UNTREATED ROADS WITH SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES IN

PLACE AT PRECIPITATION ONSET. AS SNOW FALLS ONTO ROAD

SURFACES...FRICTION FROM TIRES MAY BRIEFLY MELT THE SNOW...BUT

MOISTURE WOULD RAPIDLY REFREEZE RESULTING IN TREACHEROUS ROAD

CONDITIONS ON UNTREATED ROADS. RESIDENTS ARE URGED TO STAY OFF

ROADS TONIGHT AND AVOID TRAVEL IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

why is all the moisture going around the central and southern mtns. and upstate, unreal, will it fill in sometime tonight

I was kind of confused with some of the call maps in the MTNS thread for this storm from some of our board members. I won't go as far and say what Raysweather just posted saying "This is not your storm" for SW NC....but I did post yesterday evening that there will be a night and day difference between the north-west Piedmont counties, northern foothills, northern mountains, vs GSP coverage area. 

18Z NAM still gives KGSP .50 in of precip while temps are equal to or below 32.6. Currently only showing a trace of glaze but it sure would not take being off very much to have a much different result in the sensible weather.

I know someone mentioned this earlier, but the 18z NAM (for example) is about 2 degrees too warm for the current temp at GSP, and about 4 degrees too warm for the current dew point. That's not really a big deal, and it may very well correct itself in the next few hours - but if it's off similarly at about this time tomorrow, we're talking about a much more significant storm than currently expected.

Having said that, since most modeling has trended a tad warmer, I suspect that we'll wind up going above freezing around the currently expected time, but who knows? NWS GSP doesn't seem too concerned about it though, so I'm probably just excitable over nothing. 

Spit and dribbles until the temps warm late tomorrow is how I read it.   My forecast is snow likely after 10 pm until 10 am total around an inch.  That is spit and dribbles on a cold ground. Heavy rain tomorrow night and early Tues. I would imagine we will end  up with a flood watch before tomorrow night is over.

Spit and dribbles until the temps warm late tomorrow is how I read it.   My forecast is snow likely after 10 pm until 10 am total around an inch.  That is spit and dribbles on a cold ground. Heavy rain tomorrow night and early Tues. I would imagine we will end  up with a flood watch before tomorrow night is over.

Bingo!!! 

18Z NAM still gives KGSP .50 in of precip while temps are equal to or below 32.6. Currently only showing a trace of glaze but it sure would not take being off very much to have a much different result in the sensible weather.

Well I'm sitting at 30/8 at the moment. We will be in 20s here once sun goes down. Once precip starts falling we will cool even more. I can't help but think we would be looking at a Sig Ice storm here.

Well I'm sitting at 30/8 at the moment. We will be in 20s here once sun goes down. Once precip starts falling we will cool even more. I can't help but think we would be looking at a Sig Ice storm here.

Isn't the bulk of the moisture coming in tomorrow night still? It will be above freezing by then. Maybe some light frizzle in the morning FTW!

They should have never been that high. Even with the HRRR's "surprise band", it's only, at most, an inch of snow.

Yeah, my forecast was <=0.5" for RDU, not sure what some were seeing with 1-2" forecasts for that area.

Umm if I'm not mistaken the Jan storm was moving west to east and we did pretty good, or here in my part of upstate anyway.

I wouldn't classify that as a low pressure storm...that was more like an upper level low. I could be wrong though...so forgive me if so.

As far as right now, all we got to do is look at the radar and satellites...there is nothing near us. Now, the secondary low will develop and pull gobs of moisture our way...not sure we will see much before the temps change.

More concerned about trajectory at the moment. Radar shows everything headed across the NC VA border. Almost ready to shut off across SW NC. Not looking good for anyone across the southern piedmont. Gonna need some pull from the atlantic later tonight.

The low we're worrying about is still down near Louisiana. The moisture will be here. The cold is the question mark.

The low we're worrying about is still down near Louisiana. The moisture will be here. The cold is the question mark.

Sorry, meant for the front end snow. The moisture from the LP tomorrow I have already written off as a little freezing rain and then quickly to rain. I just want to see 2-3" by tomorrow morning which will come from this initial wave (maybe).

Archived