joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A Cold Valentine Feb 14 2016 Lobe

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

people wearing shorts when it's 20's is like people wearing jeans on a 90 a degree day to the park

Or to the beach.  It's one thing without wind but with wind and blowing snow, it's a different story.  I did my fair share of walking outside today and exposed skin definitely started to feel cold after a few minutes.  

Down to -5 here.  I don't think I'm going to challenge any of my extreme record lows but I might set a daily record tomorrow morning and a record low max tomorrow since 1985.

Or to the beach. It's one thing without wind but with wind and blowing snow, it's a different story. I did my fair share of walking outside today and exposed skin definitely started to feel cold after a few minutes.

Down to -5 here. I don't think I'm going to challenge any of my extreme record lows but I might set a daily record tomorrow morning and a record low max tomorrow since 1985.

Whats your all time low?

Wow, and Lava Rock thought he had it bad ...

You guys are right on it.  Posted it,  reread it, fixed it within a minute or two and already everyone saw it.  Anyhow that was 10 or 15 minutes ago, now down to -127,  I mean  -12.7F    Actually very impressive considering it's 8:25pm.   All time house record is -18F and I've owned this house for 27 years.  Coles Pond Vermont at 2300 feet is -23F

-20 on 1/15/1988.

What a brutal day that was.  At 6 AM on the shore of Portage Lake in N.Maine, the thermometer on the Forest Service building read -32 and the wind gauge was gusting past 30.  WCI (old scale) at CAR was -85, probably about -55 on the current scale.  Since we'd driven 250 miles to look at some forest lands, it was into the woods.  Got frostbite on my face riding 2nd up on a sled driven by someone about 10" shorter than me, as we boogied back to the pickups ASAP about 4 PM.  CAR topped out at -9 and the wind never quit; 30 miles west at 1500 feet I doubt it got past -15.

Front came thru here around noon but the real CAA began an hour or two later.  Between 3-8 PM the temp dropped from 13 to -7, and it's been a fairly steady 4° per hour.

Coldest ambient temps i have been in is -38°F in CAR

Their lowest ever at the hilltop AP was only 3F below that, in 1955.  Coldest for me is -42 on two occasions - I missed the -47 at the house on the Ft. Kent flats, as I was at our camp on the American side of the frontier across from St.-Pamphile, and it was only -40 there.

I'm confident the temp nosedive will slow in a few more hours, obviously as 4F/hr through 7 AM would be -51.  :lmao:   I think -20 will be closer, and I might drop a bit further than that tomorrow night due to better decoupling even though the midlevels will then be considerably less cold than at present.

Their lowest ever at the hilltop AP was only 3F below that, in 1955.  Coldest for me is -42 on two occasions - I missed the -47 at the house on the Ft. Kent flats, as I was at our camp on the American side of the frontier across from St.-Pamphile, and it was only -40 there.

I'm confident the temp nosedive will slow in a few more hours, obviously as 4F/hr through 7 AM would be -51.  :lmao:   I think -20 will be closer, and I might drop a bit further than that tomorrow night due to better decoupling even though the midlevels will then be considerably less cold than at present.

We were snowmobiling that weekend, Only 2 sleds out of 5 started that morning (mine was one of them), Once we got going, We had stopped at a store between Van Buren and Fort Kent, And the owner told us he had -43°F earlier that morning

Archived