joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A Cold Valentine Feb 14 2016 Lobe

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOS -4F at midnight...should be a new record low for both dates!

This is the coldest reading in Boston since 1/16/2004 when the temperature fell to -7°. It is also the coldest February temperature in Boston since 2/2/1961 when the temperature also reached -4°. The last colder February temperature was -9° on 2/16/1943.

This is the coldest reading in Boston since 1/16/2004 when the temperature fell to -7°. It is also the coldest February temperature in Boston since 2/2/1961 when the temperature also reached -4°. The last colder February temperature was -9° on 2/16/1943.

Definitely a more impressive shot than I thought...I underestimated it a bit and so did MOS for sure. Even the more aggressive MET guidance had -2F fr BOS at 1am (06z), so it's behind. The MAV guidance has been atrociously too warm...just a couple runs ago, it had 2F for the low. Even tonight's run never got BOS below 0F.

Though at the last second, the core of the cold seemed to tick east again on the models which is probably helping us overperform.

Definitely a more impressive shot than I thought...I underestimated it a bit and so did MOS for sure. Even the more aggressive MET guidance had -2F fr BOS at 1am (06z), so it's behind. The MAV guidance has been atrociously too warm...just a couple runs ago, it had 2F for the low. Even tonight's run never got BOS below 0F.

Though at the last second, the core of the cold seemed to tick east again on the models which is probably helping us overperform.

RGEM is pretty good with air masses

This reminds me that I had a discussion on here about 3 years ago with OceanStwx (Chris) on the lack of a big signature arctic outbreak in February recently....we obviously got the obscene monthly cold last year, but now this satisfies the criteria of just raw peak cold...even if the shot is fairly quick.

The intensity of this is extremely impressive.

One of the few times I'm fascinated by cold and dry.

Awesome stuff.

One of the few times I'm fascinated by cold and dry.

Awesome stuff.

Brian is doing naked snow angels on diamond dust in his driveway.

In all seriousness, ones this intense are fun to track. This is KU stuff for the frigid lovers though like Metherb and Brian.

Hopefully, Boston can drop a few more degrees. A -5° reading would be the coldest February temperature since 2/16/1943 (-9°).

Archived