Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
A Cold Valentine Feb 14 2016 Lobe

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To put a BOS record low in perspective...

In the month of February, BOS has only 4 record lows at the Logan airport site...and zero since 1967. This is a really legit airmass. Similarly, in January, BOS had only 5 record lows at the airport site before the January 2004 outbreak...and that month pulled off two new record lows at Logan Airport. If you adjust for the time of the year, this is definitely January 2004-esque...on a raw scale, it might be slightly short but perhaps not when the final lows come in...the duration of that 2nd outbreak in '04 was special though.

When is the last time one of the 5 major climo sites set a daily low and daily high minimum I could see that tomorrow

I used to get low max and high minimum confused all the time, sometimes I still have to think about it for a second. I think its confusing because the word high and the word low is used for both but they are referring to the reverse of the way we normally use high and low.

Probably January 2004...I assume you mean a daily low and low max on the same day.

I think the coldest core is passing through in the next couple hours and temps will start bottoming out.  Going down 7 more from this point will be hard to do.

You might be right but I'm W of you so might still have a ways to bottom based on the modeling of the air mass. I've hit -17F twice here, once last year and also in 2009(?) gotta' check.

-15.2° F. We've now eclipsed our minimum from last winter which was -14.6° F.

I would have guessed you got lower than that last year but maybe your elevation didn't allow you to radiate like some other W MA locales. Either way congrats but we would both be happier to be setting snow records not cold records.

To put a BOS record low in perspective...

In the month of February, BOS has only 4 record lows at the Logan airport site...and zero since 1967. This is a really legit airmass. Similarly, in January, BOS had only 5 record lows at the airport site before the January 2004 outbreak...and that month pulled off two new record lows at Logan Airport. If you adjust for the time of the year, this is definitely January 2004-esque...on a raw scale, it might be slightly short but perhaps not when the final lows come in...the duration of that 2nd outbreak in '04 was special though.

As horrible as it is to waste this record airmass and have to swallow a cutter on its heels, at least we don't have bare ground right now.

That would have been absolutely, positively criminal.

Archived