joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015/16 Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread - Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In recent years DTW has certainly seen more synoptic snow than blackrock. TOTAL snow including les? Not a chance. Not even sure about Flint or Saginaw. They don't average that much more than Detroit. The hills are another story.

It has been irritating seeing storm after storm miss to the southeast..with the occasional miss to the NW in Wisconsin. Pure suckage.

Given the Historic November snowstorm and historic sleet storm complete with thunder. Along with 56 days of snow/ice cover. I have to give the winter a C-. If there's a late season storm that's impressive, then I might lift the grade to a C.

As someone who likes to watch it snow, especially heavily during daylight, this winter was certainly an F.  However, this lousy snow season would have bothered me much more 10+ years ago.  Now, as I get older, I dislike cold weather and going out to shovel more each year, plus I'm more into gardening now so I always look forward to warmer spring weather and the return of migrant birds.

Given the Historic November snowstorm and historic sleet storm complete with thunder. Along with 56 days of snow/ice cover. I have to give the winter a C-. If there's a late season storm that's impressive, then I might lift the grade to a C.

I'd also give winter a preliminary C- for mby for some of the same reasons you mentioned...the November storm (not as big here as it was there but still the biggest I can remember in November), the sleet storm and the February 24 storm.  Made the best out of a winter with below average snow.  If there had been no 6"+ storms, then would probably be looking at a D or lower.

F - not even up for debate here.

When you only get a 1/3rd of your normal snowfall and can't even muster a 4" snowstorm there's not much else to say. Least snowy winter since the 1930s thus far too.

At least it was expected beforehand that this winter was going to be a dud.

I'd grade D for Columbus. Took until January 10 to receive the first measurable snowfall, which is now the new record. The highest single day total was 2.4" only 2 days later on 1/12/16. After that, no other event topped 2.0" in a single day. The airport managed to nickel and dime their way to 16.8" in just under 2 months (with some March snows too), which is ~6" below average right now. As the rest of March plays out, it'll end up around 8-10" below.

D+ for me, not because of the snow we did get which all things considered was not that bad, but it is the snow we missed out on by not too many miles. If I lived in NW Oakland County for example, this would have been an A winter.

What grade would you give summer if you had 2 derechos, 2 supercells with funnel clouds, but June was 10F below normal and on September 8th it hit 45F and never went about that temp for the remainder of the month.

An A grade should be reserved for only the most amazing periods of weather. The last two winters were A's.... this one wasn't close to that in any spot east of the Mississippi.

What grade would you give summer if you had 2 derechos, 2 supercells with funnel clouds, but June was 10F below normal and on September 8th it hit 45F and never went about that temp for the remainder of the month.

An A grade should be reserved for only the most amazing periods of weather. The last two winters were A's.... this one wasn't close to that in any spot east of the Mississippi.

It would have to be factor of many things like this winter plus having a bunch of snow with a super warm Dec is a good selling point in my book. It doesn't translate to summer like you are trying to. Not to mention my grade scale isn't yours so we aren't going to agree.

Lol. You've been buried all winter.

Seriously, what is your snowfall total so far and how far from normal are you?

143" to date. Normal for my area per MQT is 225-250" winter total.

I think the worst for me was November/December and the Winter long warmth, and now the early thaw.

Ready for Spring at this point this year.

It would have to be factor of many things like this winter plus having a bunch of snow with a super warm Dec is a good selling point in my book. It doesn't translate to summer like you are trying to. Not to mention my grade scale isn't yours so we aren't going to agree.

But if you are giving a 55 inch snow season an A, what does a 100 inch season receive? You either have a very large range on the A grade or you aren't doing this right.

No area of Michigan had a top 40 winter snowfall, I'd have to guess. So how would Oakland's 55 inch (I got 60), deserve an A?

somewhere in the D range here

I don't know what my total was because I don't keep track but we didn't have any storms with more than about 3 inches of snow. I guess climo here plays a pretty big role. Was kind of painful being missed to the south by the mid atlantic storm but it wasn't too close to me. Just kind of annoying when south IN ends up being too far north instead of too far south.

Considering I have seen two events of around a foot or more. I have seen two events of 6"+ and one event of around 5". With 30-32 inches more than DTW. Its nearly impossible for me to lower this grade less than a "B". The only thing keeping it from being an "A" was how quickly snow melted away after each event and how lousy December was. Me, Jonger and couple thumb posters were the "lucky ones" this winter NO DOUBT!

I also expierenced a 9" event and a 6-7" LES event in Boyne Mtn. I had pretty good winter actually. No complaints here.

Considering I have seen two events of around a foot or more. I have seen two events of 6"+ and one event of around 5". With 30-32 inches more than DTW. Its nearly impossible for me to lower this grade less than a "B". The only thing keeping it from being an "A" was how quickly snow melted away after each event and how lousy December was. Me, Jonger and couple thumb posters were the "lucky ones" this winter NO DOUBT!

I also expierenced a 9" event and a 6-7" LES event in Boyne Mtn. I had pretty good winter actually. No complaints here.

F'n baller

D+ only thing that save me is all of the small c-1 events throughout the winter. Plowed three or four times never over a 2" accumulation on  asphalt. Used the wheel loader for a total of 0.45hr stacking snow the entire winter. Total salt usage to date of 75 tons or 150 000lbs.

Looking forward to next winter and playing in the dirt for the summer.

DJF gets a C+ in my book... and I got 60 inches of snow.

Temps, snow cover duration and storm sizes all factor in.

I'm lumping my November storm into DJF, without it -- F.

You may go YEARS without seeing another 12"+ event for our backyards. We had two of them and one of them you received 18". At one point you can argue that your home had more snow than anywhere in the state. Lol. I just don't see how you can go lower than a B. I understand the staying power was awful and the frequent warm ups but still.... Don't forget this is semi. To receive two events of a foot or more in the same season is unheard of.

But if you are giving a 55 inch snow season an A, what does a 100 inch season receive? You either have a very large range on the A grade or you aren't doing this right.

No area of Michigan had a top 40 winter snowfall, I'd have to guess. So how would Oakland's 55 inch (I got 60), deserve an A?

In an El Nino winter, 55" is an A. You obviously don't understand that it isn't straight snow you have to factor in other things. If this was a La Nina and we got 55" it would be a B because surely someone around here would have much more snow.

You may go YEARS without seeing another 12"+ event for our backyards. We had two of them and one of them you received 18". At one point you can argue that your home had more snow than anywhere in the state. Lol. I just don't see how you can go lower than a B. I understand the staying power was awful and the frequent warm ups but still.... Don't forget this is semi. To receive two events of a foot or more in the same season is unheard of.

He gets 15" above normal but it is a C+ and he is calling out my grading... :lol:

...an A+

I wonder what the odds are in getting more snow or cold this season? For the past few weeks the warmth has ushered in cold and snow only to flip back again a few days later. This warm spell looks longer in duration but I wouldn't think freezing temps are out of the question this early. Looking forward to 70's....

I'd go D- here, an F was reserved for seasons like 2011-12. About 55% of normal snowfall here, KBUF was also around 55% of average for the year. Snowfall was really low across WNY as lake snow events were very rare this year aside from a 2 week period in January and a 10 day period in Feb. Synoptic was also lacking aside from that one big event in Feb. I did not receive a 12" storm this year for the first time in quite awhile. We got 3 10" storms though. Syracuse was at 72" on the year, so most of NYS averaged 40-60% of snowfall on the year. Eastern NY had it the worst, there is some locations that received single digit snowfall this year which is all time historic.

The snowbelts south of Buffalo did really bad as well. Perrysburg the snowiest belt in Western NY is at 144.2" on the year and the ski resort I go to is at 116". Those locations average over 200" per year. Lake Erie never froze this year so an early start to spring seems likely.

Archived