SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2015/16 Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread - Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering I have seen two events of around a foot or more. I have seen two events of 6"+ and one event of around 5". With 30-32 inches more than DTW. Its nearly impossible for me to lower this grade less than a "B". The only thing keeping it from being an "A" was how quickly snow melted away after each event and how lousy December was. Me, Jonger and couple thumb posters were the "lucky ones" this winter NO DOUBT!

I also expierenced a 9" event and a 6-7" LES event in Boyne Mtn. I had pretty good winter actually. No complaints here.

I agree with you dmc. I would give this winter a "B" as well. The Nov snow storm was something I never seen before down here at home, prolly never will again. The surprise 10" snow storm that hit most of northern MI right after Christmas to save the New Years weekend outdoor winter play time was really nice. I can see how the south east MI posters that live south of M59 can give this winter a "D" though, they didn't get crap for snow this season and it only makes it worse when areas just a 1/2 hr north and west of them got 2X the snow they did.

Definitely a B+ for me.....I'm tired of the arctic weather for the last two seasons and this year was a welcome break. As I get older I like winter less and less. You folks are my "Canary in the coal mine". If you all are getting excited, then I start dreading the oncoming storm. (That's why I don't post much...my contrarian views go against the grain)

He gets 15" above normal but it is a C+ and he is calling out my grading... :lol:

Winter isn't defined by only snow.

Most people that enjoy winter, enjoy winter sports. That isn't even debatable. If I'm starring at grass and open water 75% of the winter, in most winter fans eyes, it's an F.

Jesus, I mean first off we aren't using some sort of universal grade system, secondly in my book the warm December is a huge selling point, this thought is lost on Jonger though.

I'd prefer summer temps to never break 75. EVER.

That would result in an A grade from me.

Would an above average severe summer with cool temps be an A in your book?

I'd prefer summer temps to never break 75. EVER.

That would result in an A grade from me.

Would an above average severe summer with cool temps be an A in your book?

No, and thanks for proving my point for me. That we actually have different grade scales.

No, and thanks for proving my point for me. That we actually have different grade scales.

Never cracking 75 would be the first summer in SE Michigan history to accomplish that feat. That's a historic situation. Nothing this winter was exceptional or of any historic interest. Perhaps the +10 December, but that got watered down by 2 slightly above average months.

December 2015- an astonishing 11.2 degrees above normal and and snow to speak of, including a brown Christmas.

January 2016 -Very boring month, near average temperatures, with a few clippers and a few good Arctic blasts. Vikings v Seahawks game anyone?

February 2016- above average temps, below average snowfall, lack of any snow cover. Being under the blizzard warning on February 24th was awesome and the winds certainly delivered, but the snowfall was a huge bust due to the awful surface temps.

7th warmest winter on record, and the 11th wettest winter on record. Champaign-Urbana finished with a god awful number of just 8.2" of snowfall this season.

Final grade: F

Like we say every year, everyone has their own grading scale. Flint is already at 15th snowiest winter...if you JUST go by snow, thats a great grade. If you are a winter enthusiast....not so great (decent, but not great). If we use the method that an A is reserved for the best of the best...then an F should be worst of the worst.

For here, Id say a C-.

Though there were a few spits of snow (and sleet) in dec, by FAR the warm December is what dragged the grade down. It was a horrible, depressing month for winter lovers, and really outside of that, it wasnt that bad of a winter. The constant meltdowns were aggravating but expected in a strong Nino. Once again southeast MI showed we are in a decade+ stretch now where we just do snow well, taking a ghastly pattern and seeing nearly normal snowfall here (with, as mentioned, well above normal just to my north). With the season still not over, we are a spring nino snowstorm away from finishing at normal snowfall. If we get no more snow, it will be a below normal winter but far from any futility lists.

The highlights:

Nov 21st - the biggest November snowstorm Ive ever seen, and even though we missed the worst of it with 4.9" imby, it was one of the most picturesque snowfalls Ive ever witnessed. We could see hundreds of inches of snow before we ever see a scene like that again. I wanted to freeze it in time

Jan 10th- Rain turned to snow and the temp dropped from the low 40s to the mid-20s in just over an hour. It was a pneumonia front transition and actually sent us into a week of deep winter, the snowpack reaching 6" of powder a few days later and wind chills well below zero.

February snowcover - this is about as good as it gets in a Nino, a few weeks of solid, continuous (but light) snowcover and some bitter cold during the heart of the month. The arctic front on the 12th provided whiteouts.

Feb 24th-Mar 5th- 4 shovelable snowfalls (4.5", 3.3", 2.7", 1.5") provided an active late winter period, with extremely heavy snow falling the evening of March 1st.

143" to date. Normal for my area per MQT is 225-250" winter total.

I think the worst for me was November/December and the Winter long warmth, and now the early thaw.

Ready for Spring at this point this year.

Man you know its a tough winter when your area doesn't even reach my average snowfall for the year. Although my initial thoughts of not even hitting 100" for my area was correct baring any late winter storm. 

Man you know its a tough winter when your area doesn't even reach my average snowfall for the year. Although my initial thoughts of not even hitting 100" for my area was correct baring any late winter storm.

I still think I will finish the season around 170". It doesn't take a huge storm to get 15 or 20" at my location.... Just some cold air.

Going through the co-op climate data for Minocqua, WI...as I hope to move there or nearby someday. :)  Northwoods of Wisconsin.

I didn't realize that they have records going back to 1903...so there is a lot of good data.  Haven't finished looking at all of the info yet - but the striking thing is how long winter lasts there, due to its latitude (around 46N) and elevation (around 1,600 feet). 

That's not a big surprise, I guess...but it just reinforces how you really don't have to go too far N of my current location to get into deep winter.  And, you don't have to go too far S to get into "no winter".  As the crow flies, Minocqua is only 280 miles from me...so it's a significant change in climate over a relatively short distance. 

Quick example...normal high/low in January:

- Minocqua:  20/0

- Chicago:  30/15

- St. Louis:  40/25

The difference is even more pronounced in February, as Minocqua has snow cover throughout the month in most years.

Going through the co-op climate data for Minocqua, WI...as I hope to move there or nearby someday. :)  Northwoods of Wisconsin.

I didn't realize that they have records going back to 1903...so there is a lot of good data.  Haven't finished looking at all of the info yet - but the striking thing is how long winter lasts there, due to its latitude (around 46N) and elevation (around 1,600 feet). 

That's not a big surprise, I guess...but it just reinforces how you really don't have to go too far N of my current location to get into deep winter.  And, you don't have to go too far S to get into "no winter".  As the crow flies, Minocqua is only 280 miles from me...so it's a significant change in climate over a relatively short distance. 

Quick example...normal high/low in January:

- Minocqua:  20/0

- Chicago:  30/15

- St. Louis:  40/25

The difference is even more pronounced in February, as Minocqua has snow cover throughout the month in most years.

That's awesome!  Any particular reason for that area?  A little further nw and  you'd be in the N WI snow belt. What's the avg snow for Minocqua, WI?

I'm around 1600' as well and you'd be amazed what a little bit of elevation does in late Oct/early Nov this far north.   Same in the Spring too, however.  Lingering Springtime snow slows the Summer warm up of the ground.

Peak Winter norms here are 21/2, so pretty  close to your future location.  Being only 8 miles from superior helps moderate the climate at my location.

That's awesome!  Any particular reason for that area?  A little further nw and  you'd be in the N WI snow belt. What's the avg snow for Minocqua, WI?

I'm around 1600' as well and you'd be amazed what a little bit of elevation does in late Oct/early Nov this far north.   Same in the Spring too, however.  Lingering Springtime snow slows the Summer warm up of the ground.

Peak Winter norms here are 21/2, so pretty  close to your future location.  Being only 8 miles from superior helps moderate the climate at my location.

I've visited there several times in both winter and summer, and just love the Northwoods feel and all of the nearby lakes.  Also, great snowmobiling trails there and nearby.  When I was there about 20 years ago, I met some folks who had recently moved there from the Chicago suburbs, and they will never look back. 

Yeah, I was thinking slightly NW of there too, as Minocqua is right on the edge of the snowbelt.  Average snowfall is around 80". 

I was surprised how cold their normal lows are in DJF.  Even on March 1, their normal low is in the single digits...although temps warm very quickly during March & April, as the snow melts and there's no cooling influence of nearby lakes.  And July normals are around 80/60 - very comfortable!

It's great to comb through the numbers - from the Utah State University climate site.  I'm sure there are other good sites too, but this one is pretty easy to use.

LES totals from last weekend was posted for the downtown Toronto station. They're now at 20.2" for the season. That's more than 2011-12 and even 2009-10. With at least some snow looking likely for the later part of this month, might be able to creep this winter into the D grade category, if total snow is the primary criterion. 

elevation is far more important in the great lakes region than some people would think.

When you are north of 45, the snow cover between 700 ft and 1200+ is huge.... 

I'll start collecting pics to show people, but the Algoma region of Ontario has the biggest elevation contrast I have seen outside of true mountains.

Searchmont resort in Ontario is actually low elevation at base level, somewhere around 725ft. During one of the days we were there, a warmup hit and the base of the ski area hit 45 degrees and the snow was wrecked. We actually rode south of there and approached 1500 feet rather quickly -- 3 feet of pristine powder.

The snow depths over 1600 to 2000 feet were almost 3X lakes level.

I'd guess Bo probably received 3 times the annual snowfall that Big Bay receives.

elevation is far more important in the great lakes region than some people would think.

When you are north of 45, the snow cover between 700 ft and 1200+ is huge.... 

I'll start collecting pics to show people, but the Algoma region of Ontario has the biggest elevation contrast I have seen outside of true mountains.

Searchmont resort in Ontario is actually low elevation at base level, somewhere around 725ft. During one of the days we were there, a warmup hit and the base of the ski area hit 45 degrees and the snow was wrecked. We actually rode south of there and approached 1500 feet rather quickly -- 3 feet of pristine powder.

The snow depths over 1600 to 2000 feet were almost 3X lakes level.

I'd guess Bo probably received 3 times the annual snowfall that Big Bay receives.

I live on the ridge that runs from sw of Marquette all the way over to Skanee, about 10 miles ssw of Big Bay.  Almost a 1000'  rise in 8 miles.  It snows here most of the Winter anytime there is a nw to e wind. 

post-41-0-34259500-1457738054_thumb.png

Archived