• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2015/16 Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread - Part 2

Powerball

It was my biggest storm since the late 1980's Chatham, Ontario storm I rode out.

17 inches.

I was in Chatham, ON during that snowstorm we had in February 2003. We were going to head back to the city the middle of that night, but the 401 was shut down indefinitely. 

By morning, we finally made it home. I never saw so many stranded / spun out cars in my life.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as areas just to the NW don't get a ton of thundersnow / 2" per hour rates and 12"+ snow totals, I won't get too bent out of shape with that outcome. 

I do think TSSN is possible with this system which in turn means 2" per hr rates would be possible and so would 12" snowfall totals. All I know is I don't want a repeat of the November storm where you and I get 4-5" along with downriver, while everyone else is 10+.

This next event has me riding the edge.  So frustrating looking at the Euro and it's text output for IMBY knowing there is almost an inch of precipitation falling when we are just one to two degrees above freezing.  Ugh.  

You and I are riding the same edge. We should still could get a few inches, but I have a feeling we'll be looking back at what could have been orgasmic with temps just a degree or two colder.

Your winter has been even worse than mine... although, if you take away my 4 inch sleet storm mine is a bit worse.  It has certainly been an F for the general Quad Cities region.

Meanwhile, snow lovers from Waterloo to Sioux Falls are asking, "What bad winter?"  That region has received everything while our region has received nothing.  No spread the wealth this winter, that's for sure.

That's alright man, we dominate stratiform rain events.  Can't remember how many 2"+ events we've had over the last few years, but it's been quite a few.  At least there's that lol.  

What happened to the arctic outbreak that the GFS was showing a few days ago? Now, it looks like the Midwest will be in the 40s and 50s this weekend. Funny that everyone is hoping for the upcoming storm to produce, when it will all be gone in a few days anyway...just like the November storm.

Just one more example of how this winter has managed to be horrible in every possible way. It is a complete joke. Since the November snow melted, I haven't had more than 2" of snow on the ground. And many other areas in the Midwest have fared even worse.

We have not had a winter this season. Grade of D-. Only the November storm is preventing an F.

What happened to the arctic outbreak that the GFS was showing a few days ago? Now, it looks like the Midwest will be in the 40s and 50s this weekend. Funny that everyone is hoping for the upcoming storm to produce, when it will all be gone in a few days anyway...just like the November storm.

Just one more example of how this winter has managed to be horrible in every possible way. It is a complete joke. Since the November snow melted, I haven't had more than 2" of snow on the ground. And many other areas in the Midwest have fared even worse.

We have not had a winter this season. Grade of D-. Only the November storm is preventing an F.

This. It's pretty sad when my greatest snow depth for the winter was 3", in November.

Let's nickle and dime DTW all the way to average to make things look alright on paper. I know some will have their opinion, but this is my opinion; this season is worse than '11-12. At least I didn't have to deal with nuisance snows that season all that much. We all went on with our lives with that winter. But this winter is just one big tease. Make you think there's a storm until the last minute only to dump a few inches. And then all the nuisance snows in between them all.

Spring can't get here fast enough.

Let's nickle and dime DTW all the way to average to make things look alright on paper. I know some will have their opinion, but this is my opinion; this season is worse than '11-12. At least I didn't have to deal with nuisance snows that season all that much. We all went on with our lives with that winter. But this winter is just one big tease. Make you think there's a storm until the last minute only to dump a few inches. And then all the nuisance snows in between them all.

Spring can't get here fast enough.

I'd rather we try to go for a sub-30" winter, personally.

So hopefully, since we won't bullseye with big dog amounts, the wrap around snow underachieves, this trends warmer or the low continue trending NW.

Man. Living in Southeast Michigan begging for scraps of snow is crappy. Since I've been out here in the past 10 years, I've missed out on two 30+ inch blizzards in central Massachusetts and have yet to see a solid foot plus here.

Ouch.

Interesting weather is rare here in SE MI, bad choice to move here if you're into that sort of thing. Saginaw Valley often sees more interesting weather.

Man. Living in Southeast Michigan begging for scraps of snow is crappy. Since I've been out here in the past 10 years, I've missed out on two 30+ inch blizzards in central Massachusetts and have yet to see a solid foot plus here.

Ouch.

Did you miss Feb 1, 2015? No way canton saw under foot. I will say they saw less than dtw (I work in Farmington hills) but definitely well over a foot. It's probably the only one in the 10 years, but lots of close calls. canton is not a terrible place to be tomorrow either. Not the best but far enough west to get some goods.

Did you miss Feb 1, 2015? No way canton saw under foot. I will say they saw less than dtw (I work in Farmington hills) but definitely well over a foot. It's probably the only one in the 10 years, but lots of close calls. canton is not a terrible place to be tomorrow either. Not the best but far enough west to get some goods.

We had around a foot. I do like the frequency of the snow squalls and severe weather is also a little more common around these parts, but the snow/rain/wind storms are weak sauce by comparison to nor'easters.

What do you think for Ann Arbor?

We had around a foot. I do like the frequency of the snow squalls and severe weather is also a little more common around these parts, but the snow/rain/wind storms are weak sauce by comparison to nor'easters.

True. 2/8/13 in CT was the best storm I've ever seen. Though the Jan. 2011 stretch there was the best snow period I've seen.

Wow surprised it was only a foot. Eyeballing the snow depth was clearly less in Farmington hills last Feb 2nd (I had a storm total of 16.5" with depth 18" imby) but I thought it more than a foot (of course there was old snow and snowbanks, can only eyeball so much). That's actually a perfect example of how storms in this region go. We get a lot of them but the jackpot regions are small. Expect tomorrow's storm to be more of the same (but to our west). Detroit set a record season snowfall two years ago (94.9") with a biggest single storm of just over 11". Meanwhile the nws office did get a 15" storm that winter but finished the season "only" in the mid-80 inches. It balances out but getting a jackpot takes a lot of luck in this region.

What do you think for Ann Arbor?

True. 2/8/13 in CT was the best storm I've ever seen. Though the Jan. 2011 stretch there was the best snow period I've seen.

Ann Arbor has eclipsed a foot a few times in recent years in single storms. And of course we all had awesome depths.

If you are asking about tomorrow...the further west the better. Ann Arbor will be fine.

Ann Arbor has eclipsed a foot a few times in recent years in single storms. And of course we all had awesome depths.

If you are asking about tomorrow...the further west the better. Ann Arbor will be fine.

Thanks man.

And yes, 2013-14 was awesome here (and frigid) as was 2/1/15 (think we had 14-15"). I missed the November storm, though.

Archived